Soft Point Bullet ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soft Point Bullet ?

chippy
07-25-2010, 16:59
Are there any soft point bullets available for the re-loader? I see Corbon offers a 180grn. hunting load, but man are they expensive! I prefer to roll my own, but cannot seem to find any .40cal S.P. bullets. XTP's have been good, but tend to shed their jackets when pushed hard. I also have some very old Gold Dots (tried them when they first came out - didn't like the way they fed in a Taurus PT101). I also have Montana Gold HP's and CMJ's available. They shoot and function well, but seem better suited for targets. I really don't like cast bullets, but maybe I am wrong. 200grn XTP's?

Thoughts ?

jeffreybehr
07-25-2010, 17:26
XTP's have been good, but tend to shed their jackets when pushed hard.

I disagree with that. I haven't shot any BGs (or bears, either) with them, but I've never seen an XTP come apart.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Glock%2020SF/XTP155s21360both_1000w.jpg

chippy
07-25-2010, 22:11
I have had quite a few shed jackets, but should add, when striking solid targets. Wood in particular. Performance on game has always been acceptable. I do like the smaller HP cavity of the XTP vs. the open mouth, rapid expansion of the SD type bullets available. I would prefer a soft point, but just can't find any. The Corbon is the only SP I have seen.

Taterhead
07-26-2010, 23:15
My guess is that, since .40 cal firearms are typically auto loaders, there is not much of a demand for SP projectiles in that caliber. SP bullets are not well suited for feeding an autoloader. SPs are typically reserved for revolvers and there are not too many revolvers chambered in .40 caliber.

Ak.Hiker
07-27-2010, 00:00
The 180 CorBon Bonded is the only 10mm SP that I know of. Out of the expanding hunting type bullets on the market I can not think of a better choice than the 200 grain XTP with the 180 grain in the second spot. Good combination of performance and cost. The 200 grain hard cast like the ones Double Tap sells to reloaders is another good choice. Just about any bullet can come apart if you hit something hard enough. I have even seen 158 grain 357 Magnum Gold Dots destroyed when hitting a thick knot and they are a very tough bullet as far as HP's go. Hard cast bullets will deform as well. The one bullet I have never seen deform is the CorBon heavy weight penetrators in 44 Magnum and 454.

chippy
07-27-2010, 06:03
My guess is that, since .40 cal firearms are typically auto loaders, there is not much of a demand for SP projectiles in that caliber. SP bullets are not well suited for feeding an autoloader. SPs are typically reserved for revolvers and there are not too many revolvers chambered in .40 caliber.

U R dead-on here. The .40 is a SD caliber for the most part. Specifically designed for auto-loaders, and most to expand at slower velocities of the .40sw, in a BG. I do wish the Corbon bonded SP was available to handloaders.
That said,
Are cast bullets safe in a stock Glock barrel, or is the PG rifleing story simply a myth?

_The_Shadow
07-27-2010, 18:40
Are cast bullets safe in a stock Glock barrel, or is the PG rifleing story simply a myth?

There are many who shoot plenty of cast bullets from them.

I shoot my cast bullets thru mine at times and don't get much to any leading(100-200)...I thing is to inspect and keep any build up cleaned out to keep from having any excess pressures due to heavy deposits.

Andrew Wiggin
10-22-2012, 12:29
This is the only one I've seen: http://www.rrarms.com/winchester-jacketed-soft-hollow-point-jsp-jhp-40-10mm-400-180-gr-jhp-notched.html

I'd like to load some up to see what can be done with them. I live in AZ so our bears are small but I'd like to have a relatively deep penetrating and moderately expanding cartridge for general animal defense. I'd like something that goes about 20" or so but also gives just a bit of expansion, say .50"-.60". Anybody got some ideas?

I had really high hopes for the 200 gr XTP for penetrating deeply and still having moderate expansion. Unfortunately, it doesn't really go super deep at even moderate 10mm velocity (~1,135 fps).

10MM 200 gr XTP @ 1,142 fps - YouTube

Meathead9
10-27-2012, 08:01
200gr WFNGC's are my preferred Hunting/Woods bullet, and they're fine in a stock barrel. I put 50rds through a stock barrel in one range session, and had no leading or any issues whatsoever. If you're hunting or using it as a woods defense load, you'll probably never shoot enough rounds to lead up a barrel before you clean it. Another option would be to fill the HP cavity of an XTP with silicon, which would basically be a home made SP.

alwaysshootin
10-27-2012, 09:48

This^^^^^

Soft points would change bullet profile, and, could lead to feeding issues with the soft, wide, lead, catching on feed ramps. Hard cast works well, even though it has a wide meplat, because it's hard, and rebounds off ramp, if snagged. The soft lead would catch, if contact were made in the wrong place.