Looking for HST 45GAP ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for HST 45GAP ammo

Rubicon46804
07-25-2010, 18:39
I am trying to find a few boxes of Federal HST in 45GAP. Does anyone know where I can find it? Thanks!

DannyR
07-25-2010, 19:47
Try http://www.policehq.com/

Rubicon46804
07-26-2010, 19:10
I called PoliceHQ today, 45GAP is backordered, expected delivery 12-16 MONTHS!!!! Does anyone have any other sources?

packinaglock
08-09-2010, 17:39
I called PoliceHQ today, 45GAP is backordered, expected delivery 12-16 MONTHS!!!! Does anyone have any other sources?

Damn! :faint:

chad745
08-10-2010, 19:19
I've ordered GAP ammo from them before and just recently canceled it because it was taking every bit that long! They do OK on other stuff.

fasteddie565
08-13-2010, 13:03
Rubicon,

Hydrashocks are not bonded bullets, I highly recommend that if you are carrying your GAP for duty or CCW that you switch to a Speer Gold Dot JHP or similar bonded bullet. The bonded bullet does not shatter and break apart. I have a colleague on a SWAT team in HI and proof of point shows that after three shootings with G 21's and 230 Grn HST's all three perp's walked away from the shootings. That's when they switched to SGD's.

My $.02, its worth what you paid for it.

fasteddie565
08-13-2010, 13:17
I try to keep abreast of good deals on ammo and right now the only deals are going for $24 a box for range ammo, which is not all that good and $32 for SGD's. Give it some time, it will break loose

DLL9mm
08-16-2010, 14:40
I found a couple boxes of HST Gap today locally for $25/50rounds, Of course I bought them....

david3000
08-17-2010, 19:35
Rubicon,

Hydrashocks are not bonded bullets, I highly recommend that if you are carrying your GAP for duty or CCW that you switch to a Speer Gold Dot JHP or similar bonded bullet. The bonded bullet does not shatter and break apart. I have a colleague on a SWAT team in HI and proof of point shows that after three shootings with G 21's and 230 Grn HST's all three perp's walked away from the shootings. That's when they switched to SGD's.

Eddie, Hydrashocks and HST's are two different products. HST's are LEO ammo and I was under the impression that they are bonded.

fasteddie565
08-21-2010, 07:35
Eddie, Hydrashocks and HST's are two different products. HST's are LEO ammo and I was under the impression that they are bonded.

David,

I stand corrected! Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, I really enjoy this forum ( the whole GT forum as well)as there is very little virtual drama, folks are all glad to help and mind their vitrtual manners.

Thanks to all for making this place great,

OK, hijack complete

BOGE
08-21-2010, 19:33
...I have a colleague on a SWAT team in HI and proof of point shows that after three shootings with G 21's and 230 Grn HST's all three perp's walked away from the shootings. That's when they switched to SGD's.

Any link to the details of these shootings? You have piqued my interest. :whistling:

LSP972
12-21-2010, 08:25

HST bullets are NOT bonded. However, the jacket IS partially secured to the core via a special crimp.

The "big deal" over bonded bullets is their alledged better ability to stay together (i.e., not shed their jacket) when passing through barricade material/car glass/etc. Bonded buleets do indeed (generally) hold together better than plain vanilla JHPs... but ATK is aware of this and designed the HST to stay together.

According to them, only the 124gr 9mm HST has a tendency to shed its jacket, and that is due to the relatively small bearing surface (i.e., contact area between core and jacket) of this bullet- which is the smallest HST made.

I too would be extremely interested to know details of these three shootings. The HSTs perform to an amazing level in gelatin and the water tank, but we're (the crime lab I work at) still waiting to see a "meat bullet"- one retrieved from a body. Two of the three major agencies in our area recently began issuing 180gr HSTs in .40 S&W; the third has been using 180gr .40 Gold Dots for several years, and we HAVE seen real world results on that bullet. It works just fine; in fact, the last one we saw came from the abdominal cavity of an expired miscreant, and could have been used in an advertising photograph for uniform expansion.

Anyway... do not put too much stock in these three supposed "failures". The first shooting my old agency had with 230gr .45 HydraShok was also a belly shot, and the dude ran off and survived. But he quit doing what caused him to get shot in the first place... and I'm betting those three Hawaiian bullet recipients did too.

These are PISTOLS... there are no guarantees.

mrnuke7571
12-27-2010, 12:40
HST bullets are NOT bonded. However, the jacket IS partially secured to the core via a special crimp.

The "big deal" over bonded bullets is their alledged better ability to stay together (i.e., not shed their jacket) when passing through barricade material/car glass/etc. Bonded buleets do indeed (generally) hold together better than plain vanilla JHPs... but ATK is aware of this and designed the HST to stay together.

According to them, only the 124gr 9mm HST has a tendency to shed its jacket, and that is due to the relatively small bearing surface (i.e., contact area between core and jacket) of this bullet- which is the smallest HST made.

I too would be extremely interested to know details of these three shootings. The HSTs perform to an amazing level in gelatin and the water tank, but we're (the crime lab I work at) still waiting to see a "meat bullet"- one retrieved from a body. Two of the three major agencies in our area recently began issuing 180gr HSTs in .40 S&W; the third has been using 180gr .40 Gold Dots for several years, and we HAVE seen real world results on that bullet. It works just fine; in fact, the last one we saw came from the abdominal cavity of an expired miscreant, and could have been used in an advertising photograph for uniform expansion.

Anyway... do not put too much stock in these three supposed "failures". The first shooting my old agency had with 230gr .45 HydraShok was also a belly shot, and the dude ran off and survived. But he quit doing what caused him to get shot in the first place... and I'm betting those three Hawaiian bullet recipients did too.

These are PISTOLS... there are no guarantees.

In 9mm I'd love a bonded 147GR bullet, but in my G38, I carry the Speer Gold dots (200gr) and Federal HST (230gr) rounds. I've done ballistic testing on them both and as you said it, they look and expand amazingly. During multiple tests with 9mm/45ACP/45GAP HST's none shed the jacketing, but this was all shot into the Bullet Test Tube, so not sure what happens when shot through barriers.