TRP... what gives [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TRP... what gives

PhoneCop
07-25-2010, 19:24
I heard such good things about the TRP. I had the opportunity to handle one today... not all that impressed. The slide on frame movement was gritty. It locked up tight. Slide to frame fit was tight. The trigger was good enough.

But overall... can't say I was impressed. I expected more.

TRP owners, please chime in.

samuse
07-25-2010, 19:52
What did you want it to do? Tight slide to frame fit is fun to check for, but doesn't really do anything for the gun.

You were supposed to be impressed with all the extra stuff on the gun. And it had a "TACTICAL" rollmark.

TRPs are decent, but tacky. IMO

Ruggles
07-25-2010, 19:56
:popcorn:

This should be pretty good.......

bac1023
07-25-2010, 20:02
I heard such good things about the TRP. I had the opportunity to handle one today... not all that impressed. The slide on frame movement was gritty. It locked up tight. Slide to frame fit was tight. The trigger was good enough.

But overall... can't say I was impressed. I expected more.

TRP owners, please chime in.

Well, its not a custom or even a semi custom gun. For a production 1911, I think its pretty good. Its also not known for being overally smooth. Rather its a tough as nails duty 1911.

You're probably comparing it to your Super Match II and the two guns are quite a bit different. Both have their strong points.

glock2740
07-25-2010, 20:27
Every TRP that I've shot and all the ones I've handled were great. Actually, other than the very few who have had issues with their TRP, which SA would take care of on the spot, I can't remember anyone ever having anything bad to say about them. :dunno:Can't please everyone I guess.

bac1023
07-25-2010, 20:30
Other than the roll marks, I very rarely hear any negativity about the TRP either. :dunno:

zhix
07-25-2010, 20:51
I was very impressed with the fit of the TRP I handled, but not the 'TACTICAL' on the frame and general appearance with the price tag it commands. I dare say I reject the SA/TRP kool-aid. Not saying they aren't quality guns though.

bac1023
07-25-2010, 20:54
I was very impressed with the fit of the TRP I handled, but not the 'TACTICAL' on the frame and general appearance with the price tag it commands. I dare say I reject the SA/TRP kool-aid. Not saying they aren't quality guns though.

I certainly don't drink the Kool-Aid, but I do like most things about the TRP.

brisk21
07-25-2010, 21:19
I dont like the "tactical" stamp either. Plus, i can see some machining marks by the trigger guard, in the serrations, and inside the ejection port area. Other than that I really like the gun. I mean ALOT!!!!

Hokie1911
07-25-2010, 21:20
When I was shooting with Quack last month, I shot his TRP, KobraCarry, STI, RemingtonR1, and EMP.

The TRP was my least favorite of the bunch. Didn't care for the feel. :dunno:

Out of his .45s....I much more enjoyed shooting the KC and the R1. The TRP just wasn't for me.

BlayGlock
07-25-2010, 21:43
I dont like the "tactical" stamp either.

I like the tactical stamp if for no other reason than it makes the old school, colt worshipping, purist head explode about like bringing up a 1911 chambered in .45 gap thread :tongueout:

Hokie1911
07-25-2010, 22:11
I dont like the "tactical" stamp either.

http://latewire.com/images/fekken_random/Tacticool_870_bling.jpg

CMG
07-25-2010, 22:17
Calm.

Find your happy place.

Nobody is required to like everything. :cool:

PhoneCop
07-25-2010, 22:23
What did you want it to do? Tight slide to frame fit is fun to check for, but doesn't really do anything for the gun.

You were supposed to be impressed with all the extra stuff on the gun. And it had a "TACTICAL" rollmark.

TRPs are decent, but tacky. IMO

It gave me 3 of 4. But that gritty slide/frame movement was very disconcerting.

PhoneCop
07-25-2010, 22:26
Well, its not a custom or even a semi custom gun. For a production 1911, I think its pretty good. Its also not known for being overally smooth. Rather its a tough as nails duty 1911.

You're probably comparing it to your Super Match II and the two guns are quite a bit different. Both have their strong points.

Your mostly right. I know my Supermatch has a smooth "glide." But I was also handling other much less expensive 1911s, some of which had a better glide. Much better.

I didn't get to shoot it. Neither did I get to shoot it a lot over many years so I lack the ability to judge how important that smooth glide is- how much it mattered.

Mostly sharing my surprise, I guess.

Cobra64
07-26-2010, 00:01
It gave me 3 of 4. But that gritty slide/frame movement was very disconcerting.

I'd bet it's never been cleaned and lubed. My $2,700 Doug Koenig Performance Center was gritty until I detail stripped and lubed it properly.

Quack
07-26-2010, 08:38
all production Springfields have some grit to them. A slurry mix and some hand lapping smooths things out. that being said, the Remington R1 was smoother out of the box than any Springfields i've had. My Trophy Match is as smooth as my Ed Brown now.

ArmoryDoc
07-26-2010, 08:53
I like the tactical stamp if for no other reason than it makes the old school, colt worshipping, purist head explode about like bringing up a 1911 chambered in .45 gap thread :tongueout:

Eee-GAD MAN. Stop with the verbal Kryptonite ! :rofl:

PlasticGuy
07-26-2010, 09:23
There's no secret or magic to a TRP. That's precisely why it is recommended as a duty 1911. It's fitted well enough, has all the essential features but little or no "fluff", and is both reliable and durable out of the box.

The slide will smooth out after 200 rounds and a good cleaning.

CMG
07-26-2010, 11:23
Don't forget the torx-head grip screws.

Those are probably a $50 option from some of the semi-custom folks! :supergrin:

BubbaShoots
07-26-2010, 12:18
My TRP is
1. Accurate
2. Dependable
3. Durable
It meets all my expectations. I have prettier guns, more expensive guns, cheaper guns, but not better guns using standards above.

venenoindy
07-26-2010, 13:11
In the 1911 world there is many choices so if you don't like it find something that you do, in my experience while I don't like everything on my TRP I found that is one fine combat 1911. SA gives you the support that you need and more.

CA_DUDE
07-26-2010, 13:27
a 1911 chambered in .45 gap thread :tongueout:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/mikeyjsc/Kicked-in-the-Nads.jpg

Sorry, I had too. :rofl:

PhoneCop
07-26-2010, 13:33
I'd bet it's never been cleaned and lubed. My $2,700 Doug Koenig Performance Center was gritty until I detail stripped and lubed it properly.

That provides reference, thanks.

ctfireman
07-26-2010, 17:28
all production Springfields have some grit to them. "A slurry mix and some hand lapping smooths things out". that being said, the Remington R1 was smoother out of the box than any Springfields i've had. My Trophy Match is as smooth as my Ed Brown now.

What do you mean by that?

Quack
07-26-2010, 17:38
JB Bore Compound and gun oil. put the mix on the slide and frame rails and work it by hand.
the slurry is not as abrasive as lapping compound.

got that tip from 1911Tuner years ago and have been using it ever since.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=53090
Get a small tub of J&B Bore Cleaner and a small bottle of CLP Breakfree.
Squirt a teaspoon or two of the CLP in a cup, and add a little J&B to it.
Mix it well, and keep adding bore cleaner to the oil until the mixture will
just sag off the tip of a screwdriver, but not drip. That amount will
be enough to use on several guns. Any good teflon-based oil will
work, including plain old Mil-Spec LSA, but best results happen with
CLP.

Luck to ya!

Tuner

you can also google "1911Tuner slurry" for more related posts.

samuse
07-26-2010, 22:04
As long as it ran good, the grittiness wouldn't bother me at all. I just wouldn't clean the rails for a thousand rounds or until it smoothed itself up. Good excuse to burn up ammo:supergrin: The TRP is a nice lookin' gun, the TACTICAL just turns me off too much. I'm just too picky.