Multi purpose shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multi purpose shotgun

nursetim
07-25-2010, 21:05
What would be the pros and cons to the below.

18" O/U shotgun 12g with rifle barrel inserts, one 22LR and the other 30.06 or 45/70.

MrMurphy
07-26-2010, 02:17
Pros: It's short.

Cons: What are you trying to do with it? 18" .3006 won't give you optimum velocity for most of the ammo out there. A single shot .22.....in a O/U? It's gonna be heavy.

If you're trying to use it for defense, having a bolt-action .22, 870 Pump with 2 barrels (18 for defense, 26 for birds) or just a shortbarrel and a single-shot .308 or .30-06 NEF Handi-rifle would do fine.

mitchshrader
07-26-2010, 02:46
Pros: Portable platform for 3 general use cartridges. Wide utility.

Cons: Low rate of fire, inadequate sights, less useful than dedicated platforms for the cartridges mentioned.

Do the numbers and make your choices, but it looks like you've combined 'wants' from the perspective of someone carrying their weapon, and minimized weight by using the rifle inserts. That said, a fairly compact deer & turkey gun (22-23" barrel) with choke tubes already HAS high general purpose functionality, and is findable under $300.

A .22 papoose is under $250 and takes 10 round mags, weighs 3.5 lbs, breaks down to 18" in length.. I'd rather have that, than a rifle insert in a shotgun, by about 100 to 1.

The rifle insert is iffy for .30-06, the energy level is about what a 12 gauge slug is, and the shotgun slug is good to 75 yards or so, maybe a shade more.. so the rifles utility is only from 75 yards out to where the sights are inadequate. How far can you accurately shoot over a bead sight? What does it do to your shotguns utility to have any other kind?

I'd go with the pump shotgun, choke tubes, a sling. I'd get a papoose .22. I'd leave rifle business to rifles. On points, go with what you know works, don't reinvent the wheel, KISS, and other such prudent homilies.

Like the pocket fisherman, it *might* work, but that doesn't make it SMARTEST.

wonderwolf
07-26-2010, 07:48
How well are the barrels regulated? Thats the one thing I would be concerned about.

Go with several guns that do their job well rather than 1 gun that does everything marginally ok.

Are you looking at the Baikal? or remington? I think the rems were made in russia as well but I dunno if they offer extra barrels or not. If your looking at a blaser then you have enough money to get several purpose built shotguns/rimfires and centerfires for whatever you envision

JFrame
07-26-2010, 08:38
I'm thinkin' that unless the objective is to trim cost and weight to a minimum for a selection of cartridges, a Contender or Encore with a good choice of barrels would be generally more useful and satisfying.

mitchshrader
07-26-2010, 09:29
You can get a 45/70 barrel on the heavy handi-rifle frame (the 'heavy 12/10 gauge frame) and put the .22 insert in the 12 gauge barrel if you want.. that'd be a cheap combo that might suit you..

itstime
07-26-2010, 09:45
What kind of gun is it? I can only think of the Rossi lineup and they aren't O/U are they?

vafish
07-26-2010, 14:20
Why not go with a TC Encore with 12 ga, .30-06, and .22LR barrels.

Only thing you lose over the original plan is 1 shotgun barrel and it would probably cost less.

As an advantage the rifle barrel could be scoped and would be much more accurate then the 12 ga with inserts.

Size and weight would be about the same as the over under with the inserts, maybe less.

nursetim
07-26-2010, 19:13
itstime, I was thinking the stoeger condor outback or outback condor.

Vafish and JFrame- I have always liked the TC and will get one, one day. I was just trying to get the most mileage out of the stoeger is all.

Mitchshrader- Glad I haven't pissed you off enough to not hear from you. I tend to agree with 90-98% of what you have to say. A while back you said that I should set my sites for towns like Toas, Santa Fe, and some other liberal hellhole. I ended up in Santa Fe, sure enough. Now I'm looking to get back to NC, so you were right, I guess I need to listen to you more often soothsayer. BTW thanks for the thoughtful reply. :

:thumbsup: to all y'all.

newmexican
07-27-2010, 00:20
itstime, I was thinking the stoeger condor outback or outback condor.

Vafish and JFrame- I have always liked the TC and will get one, one day. I was just trying to get the most mileage out of the stoeger is all.

Mitchshrader- Glad I haven't pissed you off enough to not hear from you. I tend to agree with 90-98% of what you have to say. A while back you said that I should set my sites for towns like Toas, Santa Fe, and some other liberal hellhole. I ended up in Santa Fe, sure enough. Now I'm looking to get back to NC, so you were right, I guess I need to listen to you more often soothsayer. BTW thanks for the thoughtful reply. :

:thumbsup: to all y'all.

NM rules, i live in abq