Tested a couple loads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tested a couple loads

BadAndy
07-26-2010, 10:30
I picked up some 9mm 147gr XTP and 115gr General Bullets solid copper bullets for reloading a little while ago and shot them into water jugs a few days ago.

They didn't hit the speeds I was expecting for the powder loads I used but it's a good place to start.

The XTPs averaged 900 fps out of my Kahr CW9 and the General Bullets were running 1040 fps. They all penetrated 3 1 gallon water jugs. The XTPs had really nice expansion but I think the solid copper bullet needs another 100-150 fps to expand properly.

07-26-2010, 10:50
I picked up some 9mm 147gr XTP and 115gr General Bullets solid copper bullets for reloading a little while ago and shot them into water jugs a few days ago.

They didn't hit the speeds I was expecting for the powder loads I used but it's a good place to start.

The XTPs averaged 900 fps out of my Kahr CW9 and the General Bullets were running 1040 fps. They all penetrated 3 1 gallon water jugs. The XTPs had really nice expansion but I think the solid copper bullet needs another 100-150 fps to expand properly.

Andy,

Nice!

Your 9mm Hornady 147 gr XTPs look quite similar to those in my thread, especially the little circular impressions at the center of their expansion faces. Do you happen to know what their average recovered diameter is?

The solid copper JHP must have an upset threshold of right near the 1040 fps mark. I'd be willing to bet that at 1000 fps or less there is no expansion at all. Doubtless pushing them faster will improve their performance, but it is kinda nice to know where "the bottom" is, yes?

Cool tests.

Thanks for sharin'.

BadAndy
07-26-2010, 14:09
Thanks!

One of the XTPs is .560", the other is .563" and the GB is .472".

I agree. I think it's pretty neat seeing the solid copper bullet just starting to expand. I'm going to load them a little hotter to see if I can get some better speed...it looks it has plenty more room for expansion.