Finally! My first 1911 New RIA compact tactical [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally! My first 1911 New RIA compact tactical

glockfan9
07-26-2010, 19:40
:cheerleader: YYYAAAAAYYYYYY Its finally here im so happy lol ive converted to the dark side:rofl:but it made it today. I got the RIA compact tactical cs. includes novak sights, skeletonized hammer and trigger, extened beavertail..
Its exactly what I was looking for, great size and shape. i wieghed it and it comes in at 32.5oz with an empty mag. not too shabby for a full steel 1911, great profile and well balanced. included one 7rd mag with rubber baseplate, looks pretty good. Im ordering some black kimber rubber grips this week.
-posting some crappy iphone pics now but will have some nice ones up soon.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/austinweber11/RIA%20compact%20tactical/photo.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/austinweber11/RIA%20compact%20tactical/photoJPG2.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/austinweber11/RIA%20compact%20tactical/photoJPG3.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/austinweber11/RIA%20compact%20tactical/photoJPG4.jpg

Hokie1911
07-26-2010, 19:43
Congrats. Now change your avatar bro. :thumbsup:

glockfan9
07-26-2010, 19:51
^ lol avatar and sig need to change. ill change the avatar this week when i take some nice pics with my nikon
- quick question, I was at local walmart and all the .45 ammo they had was JHP? is that normal.. all the remington and WWB were JHP instead of the usual FMJ. but a box of 100rds WWB 230gr JHP is $31. that good? is that good for range use?

KiloBravo
07-26-2010, 20:21
^ lol avatar and sig need to change. ill change the avatar this week when i take some nice pics with my nikon
- quick question, I was at local walmart and all the .45 ammo they had was JHP? is that normal.. all the remington and WWB were JHP instead of the usual FMJ. but a box of 100rds WWB 230gr JHP is $31. that good? is that good for range use?

Congrats on a fine weapon!

The JHP ammo you saw is probably only what they had in stock. The Wal-Marts around me have been getting plenty of 230 gr. ball, as well at the WWB 100 packs and HP ammo.

This is going to make you sick to your stomach...But I can reload .45 practice ammo for about $7/50. It will be even less than that after I start casting my own bullets. :supergrin:

GAFinch
07-26-2010, 20:25

Last year, regular FMJ was running up to $22/50rds.

glockfan9
07-26-2010, 20:33
well if the JHP is the same price as the FMJ i might as well just shoot that, ill prob grab a box this week if they have any in stock.

KiloBravo
07-26-2010, 20:38
well if the JHP is the same price as the FMJ i might as well just shoot that, ill prob grab a box this week if they have any in stock.

The factory FMJ is a little cheaper around here. I know the Federal stuff in the red and black box is about $16/50. This is just my opinion, but I would suggest running 3-4 boxes of ball through the gun before trying to cycle any HP ammo. On some guns, the parts mating together take a little while out of the box, and the gun not cycling SD ammo will do nothing but screw with your head. Of course, YMMV.

glockfan9
07-26-2010, 20:53
^ well i expect some form of a break in period but will it mess anything up if i just use the WWB JHP?
- also have another question if anyone can help, The "barrel hood"( think thats what its called) is polished silver.. can i polish the rest of the barrel to match? I polished the barrel on my G19 with no problem but wondered if I could do it with this and the parkerizing???

KiloBravo
07-26-2010, 21:09
^ well i expect some form of a break in period but will it mess anything up if i just use the WWB JHP?
- also have another question if anyone can help, The "barrel hood"( think thats what its called) is polished silver.. can i polish the rest of the barrel to match? I polished the barrel on my G19 with no problem but wondered if I could do it with this and the parkerizing???

It will not mess the gun up at all to shoot HP ammo through it first. :wavey:

glockfan9
07-26-2010, 21:09
It will not mess the gun up at all to shoot HP ammo through it first. :wavey:
Thank you!

KiloBravo
07-26-2010, 21:13
Thank you!

No problem. ;)

thejellster05
07-26-2010, 21:41
Glad to see you got a 1911 man! I've been following your other thread as I'm in the market for my first 1911. Seriously thinking about the RIA Tactical full size. Looks good man, now we need a range report!

glockfan9
07-26-2010, 21:47
Ya ill post one for sure. So far it feels great tight fit and finish

pacountryboy
07-27-2010, 00:45
Nice RIA sir. Let me know how ya make out at the range.

glockfan9
07-27-2010, 08:39
Will do, anyone know if i can polish the rest of my barrel?

GunFighter45ACP
07-27-2010, 11:19
Nice RIA! You could polish the barrel, but you may want to wait awhile to see how your barrel responds to frequent shooting. Not that there's anything wrong w/your barrel, but you may want to go another route instead of frequent polishings, etc.

samuse
07-27-2010, 16:40
Will do, anyone know if i can polish the rest of my barrel?

You could, but why? It's parkerized. It would be like putting chrome wheels on a car that's just primered.

Hollowpoints will either feed or they won't. It just depends on how the gun is set up. (or not)

Tactical black
07-27-2010, 16:47
Congrats it looks nice now you need to find some new grips for it. :cool:

glock2740
07-27-2010, 16:52
Congrats!

DaverZ
07-27-2010, 17:12
been thinking of maybe getting one.does it take a reg 1911 mag or one made for it's size?

Nicko
07-27-2010, 19:01
Nice pick-up. Congrats

glockfan9
07-27-2010, 19:48
Thanks everyone. New grips should be here this week and i only considered polishing the rest of the barrel because the guide rod is polished and the barrel hood.. Im doing black kimber rubber grips with ss grip screws.
- daverz its a great gun so far it feels real nice and is worth every penny especially if you go with the compact tactical. The mags are standard 7rd nothing special.

bac1023
07-27-2010, 20:34
Looks great.

Congrats! :cool:

glockfan9
07-27-2010, 21:31
^ thanks, couldn't have done it without you lol

samuse
07-28-2010, 13:14
been thinking of maybe getting one.does it take a reg 1911 mag or one made for it's size?

It takes officers mags. I believe it has a steel frame so you could use the regular followers.

glockfan9
07-28-2010, 13:50
Well i just went to my local shop and got a brand new wilson mag and 100 rem jhp for $50 :) its nice being friends with the owner

GAFinch
07-28-2010, 18:59
I'd love to see a hollow point-only break-in done successfully and made a sticky for all the Glock fanboys to see.

glockfan9
07-28-2010, 20:14
lol well im gunna do it :)
- Ill for sure make a report, hopefully gunna get out to the range maybe sat night.

ctfireman
07-28-2010, 20:22
Oh boy, here goes another! Kiss your future funds goodbye. 1911's are by far the most addicting pistol i've come across. Congrats, nice 1911 to start out with.

glockfan9
07-28-2010, 20:33
^ lol i know its coming, ive already bought ammo, mag, ordered grips and polished the barrel ;)
heres a quick iphone shot of the barrel and new wilson combat mag
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/austinweber11/photo.jpg
And a little shot for Bac lol
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww90/austinweber11/photo-1.jpg

glockfan9
07-28-2010, 21:41
I kinda wanna polish my trigger but idk how to get to it :) 1911 noob FTW!

GAFinch
07-28-2010, 21:47
I kinda wanna polish my trigger but idk how to get to it :) 1911 noob FTW!

Buy an aluminum trigger.

glockfan9
07-28-2010, 21:57
hmmm thats a thought :)
- soo i just went to try and chamber a round and it wont work!!! the slide wont close completely, the guide rod sticks out by about 1/4 inch and wont close.
-JK :) Its becasue i was easing the slide back, if i slingshot it or just drop the slide realease it works fine... pphhwwweeeewww that freaked me out lol

samuse
07-29-2010, 08:25
I'd love to see a hollow point-only break-in done successfully and made a sticky for all the Glock fanboys to see.

That statement is a fail in itself.

Glocks don't require a break-in, failures with a 1911 are often excused because of the so-called break in.

Glocks will feed hollowpoints without finding the right combination of mags and ammo.

How many times have you heard someone say "This 1911 will feed anything!"

You don't hear that statement about Glocks because any Glock will do that.

:wavey:

samuse
07-29-2010, 08:33
Buy an aluminum trigger.

I think it's more of a bling thing. :whistling:

You wouldn't understand:rofl:

glockfan9
07-29-2010, 13:40
Alright so i couldnt wait. Just got back from the range. Shot 100 jhp and had 4 FTF's total and all on thr last round in each mag. Round 7,14,49,70. No other issues. Will post pics in a little

GAFinch
07-29-2010, 18:36
That statement is a fail in itself.

Glocks don't require a break-in, failures with a 1911 are often excused because of the so-called break in.

Glocks will feed hollowpoints without finding the right combination of mags and ammo.

How many times have you heard someone say "This 1911 will feed anything!"

You don't hear that statement about Glocks because any Glock will do that.

:wavey:

Failures with Glocks are often excused because of bad ammo.

I don't understand why 1911's quality has improved so much lately, but there's still so many issues with magazines.

ursoboostd
07-29-2010, 18:58
Alright so i couldnt wait. Just got back from the range. Shot 100 jhp and had 4 FTF's total and all on thr last round in each mag. Round 7,14,49,70. No other issues. Will post pics in a little
I've been thinkin about purchasing one of these in full size as my 1st 1911, but I don't like the sound of 4 FTFs out of 100 rounds. :shocked: -Wade-

glockfan9
07-29-2010, 19:51
- well remember most 1911's have a break in period. And most people use ball ammo for that period. I thought i would be an experiment and use JHP for my break in just to see how it went. I dont personally think that 4 Failure to Fires on a brand new 1911 using only JHPs is too bad.

KalashniKEV
07-29-2010, 22:34
- well remember most 1911's have a break in period. And most people use ball ammo for that period. I thought i would be an experiment and use JHP for my break in just to see how it went. I dont personally think that 4 Failure to Fires on a brand new 1911 using only JHPs is too bad.

What is the relevance of using JHPs for break in?

glockfan9
07-30-2010, 00:30
^ because it is generally reccomended to use ball ammo as they usually feed better. it will not affect the gun any diffently but there is thought to be less of a chance of failures with ball ammo vs JHPs during any break in period.

KalashniKEV
07-30-2010, 05:31
I'm still not following... you use the perceived "less reliable" ammo (due to more complicated feeding) in an effort to induce failures... to break it in faster or something?

What is the benefit of this?

samuse
07-30-2010, 08:03
Failures with Glocks are often excused because of bad ammo.

I don't understand why 1911's quality has improved so much lately, but there's still so many issues with magazines.

Failures with Glocks are usually induced by people who either polish everything to death or "improve" their Glock with a bunch of aftermarket parts.

Has the quality of 1911s really improved? I don't think so. 1911s just come with more stuff on 'em. They don't perform all that well.

So much for the hollowpoint break-in for Glock fanboys huh?

3" 1911s have a reputation for being unreliable, but some people get lucky.

Instead of wasting anymore ammo, I think the OP should take his gun to a good 'smith for a reliability tune.

Someone needs to check/tune/fit the extractor, ejector, chamber, barrel fit(lugs & link), feedramp and springs. He should bring a few different mags and some of the ammo he plans to shoot and let the 'smith try to dial it in.

glockfan9
07-30-2010, 13:16
Lol guys i just used them because they were available and some people said to try as an experiment. Im not tryin to prove anything to the glockfanboys in any way. Im gunna use a few diff mags and ammo next range trip just to see how it goes. I dont ccw for another year so it just sits in my closet when im not at the range. No big deal

samuse
07-30-2010, 13:40
Lol guys i just used them because they were available and some people said to try as an experiment. Im not tryin to prove anything to the glockfanboys in any way. Im gunna use a few diff mags and ammo next range trip just to see how it goes. I dont ccw for another year so it just sits in my closet when im not at the range. No big deal

Try putting some ball through it. For reliability's sake, that's all I run in a 1911. Wilson mags are usually good at feeding because they release the round pretty early kinda tossing it into the chamber.

I really like the Checkmate hybrids with dimpled followers, or Colt's. They're basically the same. Pretty much every 1911 I've had will run good with Checkmate or Colt mags and ball ammo.

I also use the Checkmate G.I. spec mags with ball and they work really well too.

I like WWB in ACP. I've been shooting up Remington UMC that I've had stashed for a couple of years and it doesn't shoot too well. I am noticing a lot of underpowered rounds. The Federal Champ seems pretty decent too.

glockfan9
07-30-2010, 14:23
Just bought a box of fmj's shooting tomorrow night. If i have problems with those then idk what to do?

samuse
07-30-2010, 18:22
Just bought a box of fmj's shooting tomorrow night. If i have problems with those then idk what to do?

See the last two lines of post #43.

glockfan9
07-30-2010, 19:18
How much would all that crap cost

Hokie1911
07-30-2010, 20:09

Let's put it this way.....that + your RIA > STI Spartan. :thumbsup:

samuse
07-30-2010, 20:20

It just depends on who does it and what's needed. I don't know anything about RIA extractors, but I don't play around with cheap ones. I like Wilson Bulletproof, Cylinder & Slide and Colt. There are more, but I have experience with these.

Shipping is steep, so it adds to the cost considerably. Most 'smiths will do a fluff 'n buff for $100-$300, again, depending on what you need. You may have to recut the breechface and ream the chamber, or you may just need a chamfer on the extractor. Hard to tell.

I still think you should try some FMJ. If it runs with that, good enough. Just remember to change you recoil spring every 1500 round or so. At least that's what I've heard on the officers size.

pacountryboy
07-30-2010, 20:39
I've been thinkin about purchasing one of these in full size as my 1st 1911, but I don't like the sound of 4 FTFs out of 100 rounds. :shocked: -Wade-

My first 1911 is a full sized RIA. I've been out with it twice and out of 350 rounds, not one problem. Don't sweat it, most of the time it's just simple things that need looked over if you do have problems (not just guns, but majority of items in general.)

glockfan9
07-30-2010, 21:44
Soo if its a brand new gun cant i technically send it back to RIA? Its not i have a used gun and need a refurb. Its brand spankin new. Would it be possible to get a refund from RIA?
- all this crap is just a what if?? im gunna shoot some ball ammo tomorrow and see how it goes. i was using remington JHPs for my first 100rds and it was the first time i ever shot a .45 and first 1911.

samuse
07-31-2010, 09:38
My first 1911 is a full sized RIA. I've been out with it twice and out of 350 rounds, not one problem.

5" guns are much more likely to be reliable than a 3" gun.

The 3"ers barely have enough slide length and slide travel to function and are very sensitive to grip, ammo, spring weights, mags, position of the moon, etc. They run on the ragged edge of functioning.

Soo if its a brand new gun cant i technically send it back to RIA? Its not i have a used gun and need a refurb. Its brand spankin new. Would it be possible to get a refund from RIA?

Refund from RIA? Highly unlikely. Didn't you polish the barrel? It ain't new anymore. You could send it to them, I've read that their customer service is pretty good to excellent. Maybe they have someone who could get it running for you.

glockfan9
07-31-2010, 11:26
Alright well after today well see how it goes

glockfan9
07-31-2010, 20:52
Soo i went through 50 federal FMJs with not one flaw and did 10 more JHPs without an issue. The gun Feels much smoother.

ROGER4314
07-31-2010, 23:21
I have the RIA "MS" which is a Commander version, standard frame and short slide. Recoil is brisk but the pistol is accurate and has never malfunctioned. I don't care for the smooth grips that it comes with so it now wears some double diamonds.

The rear sight has a slightly wider groove than the GI model so the sight picture is better.

Nice pistol. Great value!

Flash

glockfan9
08-01-2010, 08:27
^ I agree it really is a great pistol. after that first range trip of JHPs I was a little nervous but after shooting a pack of ball ammo flawlessly im pretty confident. Im going to run some more ball ammo for now but will try some HPs in the future just to see how they run.

ursoboostd
08-01-2010, 17:12
I'll more than likely be purchasing the full size tactical soon. Thanks for the review. -Wade-

glockfan9
08-01-2010, 23:31
Cool, ya im totally confident with mine. The wilson mags are a must, they feed much smoother and look nicer. Im gunna grab a few more. But i ran FMJs without a flaw and im sure HPs will be fine too

gwillis6
12-15-2010, 08:47
How it is running now? I was wondering if you detail stripped and cleaned/lubed it before you shot it. I am assuming you did not as you did not know how to get the trigger out. Most RIA guns have parkerizing dust and manufacturing "grit" floating around in them (what do you expect for $400.00). Usually a good clean/lube is all that is needed, but you may as well polish the feed ramp while it's torn down or you can let the brass polish it for ya.

The most reliable HP ammo I have ever found for any 1911 is the Remington Golden Saber. It has the profile of ball ammo so it feeds flawlessly, opens up reliably at many different velocities and retains nearly 100% of it's weight.

samuse
12-15-2010, 09:16
He got his act together and bought the Glock back. I think it was a good move.

I personally think that trying to make a cheap 3" 1911 a viable hangun is irresponsible given the availability and price of good quality handguns in the US.