Just joined the club [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just joined the club

PVanCleave
07-26-2010, 22:54
Got my first Sig - 250, subcompact in .40 S&W.

Good points on my .250 (from my perspective):

* Accurate as hell
* Excellent capacity
* DAO, no external safeties
* Flawless performance in the first 200 rounds with 3 brands of ammo
* The small grip fits my hands much better than my Glock 27, but not quite as good as my Kahrs
* You can detail strip the lower in a minute or so (haven't tried it yet)
* Double-strike capable
* Highly supported chamber

Not so good points

* Shoots low (about 3" at 15 yards)
* Subcompact is still pretty big compared to my Kahrs
* Hard to find mags, conversion kits, and holsters (I did find two - a paddle and an IWB)

What's it take to detail strip the slide? Any instructions posted on detail stripping the gun?

Brother J
07-27-2010, 12:10
Welcome to the club, Phil. Here's a link to a Sig disassembly/reassembly video:

http://customizedcreationz.com/disassemblyreassemblysi.html

I don't know if this will be applicable to all Sig's, though. Good luck with the new Sig and keep up the fine work with VCDL, the finest grass-roots pro 2nd A organization in existence.

PVanCleave
07-27-2010, 12:42
Welcome to the club, Phil. Here's a link to a Sig disassembly/reassembly video:

http://customizedcreationz.com/disassemblyreassemblysi.html

I don't know if this will be applicable to all Sig's, though. Good luck with the new Sig and keep up the fine work with VCDL, the finest grass-roots pro 2nd A organization in existence.

Thanks for the quick response and kind words, Brother J.

Unfortunately, the video won't help with the P 250, whole different world apparently. I'm sure it must exist. The Sig web site shows an engineer disassembling the trigger module, but he does it quickly and without any kind of detailed explanation as it is just to make the point at how configurable the whole thing is.

Cobra64
07-28-2010, 00:53
Got my first Sig - 250, subcompact in .40 S&W.

Good points on my .250 (from my perspective):

* Accurate as hell
* Excellent capacity
* DAO, no external safeties
* Flawless performance in the first 200 rounds with 3 brands of ammo
* The small grip fits my hands much better than my Glock 27, but not quite as good as my Kahrs
* You can detail strip the lower in a minute or so (haven't tried it yet)
* Double-strike capable
* Highly supported chamber

Not so good points

* Shoots low (about 3" at 15 yards)
* Subcompact is still pretty big compared to my Kahrs
* Hard to find mags, conversion kits, and holsters (I did find two - a paddle and an IWB)

What's it take to detail strip the slide? Any instructions posted on detail stripping the gun?

The gun may be shooting low due to a sight picture different from what you're used to. If the subcompact is too large compared to your Kahrs, you should not have bought the subcompact. As for mags and accessories, it depends on where you're looking.

A few years ago when Sig was actively marketing the 250, there were maintenance videos detailing what you're looking for. The gun is so simple, the process should be intuitive. Regardless, there's no reason to detail strip the slide until you have 5-10k rounds through it, or gunk up the firing pin channel with cleaning juice and oil.

PVanCleave
07-28-2010, 07:59
The gun may be shooting low due to a sight picture different from what you're used to. If the subcompact is too large compared to your Kahrs, you should not have bought the subcompact. As for mags and accessories, it depends on where you're looking.

A few years ago when Sig was actively marketing the 250, there were maintenance videos detailing what you're looking for. The gun is so simple, the process should be intuitive. Regardless, there's no reason to detail strip the slide until you have 5-10k rounds through it, or gunk up the firing pin channel with cleaning juice and oil.

The sight picture is three dots, same as with the night sights on my Kahrs, Glock, XDs, etc. I don't think it is the shooter...

I just like to know how to maintain my own gun, if that is reasonably possible - from cleaning to replacing parts.

I was looking for something with more capacity than the Kahr for occasional carry, but the smaller, the better. The P250 is about the same size as the Glock 27 or XD SC, which is acceptable, but not thrilling for me.

Cobra64
07-28-2010, 09:11
The sight picture is three dots, same as with the night sights on my Kahrs, Glock, XDs, etc. I don't think it is the shooter...

You may want to think about sight picture vs. sight alignment. :)

PVanCleave
07-28-2010, 10:01
You may want to think about sight picture vs. sight alignment. :)

Ah, yes. Well the sight alignment is three dots straight across, same height, evenly space, and just under where one would hope the point of impact would be.:dunno:

Cobra64
07-28-2010, 10:25
Ah, yes. Well the sight alignment is three dots straight across, same height, evenly space, and just under where one would hope the point of impact would be.:dunno:

Sigs are set up for combat sight picture where the front dot is superimposed over point of impact.

This sight picture...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Targets/Target-Combat.jpg

will produce this result...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Targets/MSD-07-18-09-1.jpg . http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Targets/MSD-07-18-09-3.jpg

PVanCleave
07-28-2010, 10:41
At 15 yards I had to put the center dot just below the top of the outermost ring to hit the bulls eye. I put three shots almost through the same hole - impressive accuracy.

On of my XD SC had the same situation with the point of impact being right where the front dot is pointing, but this is much lower.

The manual claims there are combinations of front and back sights you can purchase to lower or raise the point of impact. I don't like having to fool with something that the factory should have taken care of before the gun shipped. The windage was just about perfect, but they fell down on the elevation.

rfd339
07-30-2010, 17:59
Congrats on the P250sc 40sw , glad you like and dislike it...:dunno:

PVanCleave
07-30-2010, 19:34
Congrats on the P250sc 40sw , glad you like and dislike it...:dunno:

Nothing is perfect - but as long as the likes outweigh the dislikes you are in good shape. :supergrin:

rfd339
07-31-2010, 22:32
Nothing is perfect - but as long as the likes outweigh the dislikes you are in good shape. :supergrin:

Agreed.

PVanCleave
07-31-2010, 22:56
I just received a 9 MM conversion kit for the P250 SC. Took it to the range:

* Like the .40 S&W, accurate as hell - this gun can really shoot

* Shoots just above the point of aim (like I'm used to with my other guns and unlike the .40 caliber, which shoots about an inch or so low)

* The 9 MM would fail to extract every time if I had a fully loaded magazine (12 rounds) AND one in the chamber. As long as the magazine only had 11 rounds, it ran like a top. Perhaps when the magazine spring gets broken in a little it won't push up so hard on a full magazine - I think it's impeding the slide from going all the way back. No such problem with the .40 S&W

Cobra64
08-01-2010, 09:47
I just received a 9 MM conversion kit for the P250 SC. Took it to the range:

* Like the .40 S&W, accurate as hell - this gun can really shoot

* Shoots just above the point of aim (like I'm used to with my other guns and unlike the .40 caliber, which shoots about an inch or so low)

* The 9 MM would fail to extract every time if I had a fully loaded magazine (12 rounds) AND one in the chamber. As long as the magazine only had 11 rounds, it ran like a top. Perhaps when the magazine spring gets broken in a little it won't push up so hard on a full magazine - I think it's impeding the slide from going all the way back. No such problem with the .40 S&WGlad to hear things seem to be working out for you. It's not unusual for folks to down load mags by one, especially if they're new. My pistol/rifle instructor carries his duty G17 downloaded by one, and his AR15 downloaded by two.

Let everything settle in and continue to test reliability. :)

PVanCleave
08-01-2010, 16:02
Glad to hear things seem to be working out for you. It's not unusual for folks to down load mags by one, especially if they're new. My pistol/rifle instructor carries his duty G17 downloaded by one, and his AR15 downloaded by two.

Let everything settle in and continue to test reliability. :)

Well, went to the range today and the full loaded mag + 1 in chamber problem is gone. Not too surprised, the mag springs were probably a little too robust :supergrin:

Cobra64
08-01-2010, 16:20
Well, went to the range today and the full loaded mag + 1 in chamber problem is gone. Not too surprised, the mag springs were probably a little too robust :supergrin:

Great news. Just keep the rails greased, and don't forget to clean the insides of the mag tubes once in a while. The new ones, even the MecGar's come plastered with greasy oil, gummy crap that needs to be flushed out. Mags should be bone dry.

PVanCleave
08-01-2010, 17:26
Great news. Just keep the rails greased, and don't forget to clean the insides of the mag tubes once in a while. The new ones, even the MecGar's come plastered with greasy oil, gummy crap that needs to be flushed out. Mags should be bone dry.

Ooops - didn't know they had grease in them. :faint:

Boy, I fully agree having seen how a Glock hicap mag wouldn't work with a darn until someone opened it up, saw the oil/grease, and cleaned it out. (It was a used mag and the previous owner apparently used oil/grease to lube that mag.) I had nary a problem after that.

Cobra64
08-01-2010, 17:43
Ooops - didn't know they had grease in them. :faint:

Boy, I fully agree having seen how a Glock hicap mag wouldn't work with a darn until someone opened it up, saw the oil/grease, and cleaned it out. (It was a used mag and the previous owner apparently used oil/grease to lube that mag.) I had nary a problem after that.

Yeah, some folks forget that the magazine is part of the pistol. If the mag doesn't feed, the pistol is a single shot.

I have close to 100 mags, and they are all as clean as these, outside and inside.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P226/P1010145.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P226/P1010147.jpg

PVanCleave
08-01-2010, 17:59
Yeah, some folks forget that the magazine is part of the pistol. If the mag doesn't feed, the pistol is a single shot.

I have close to 100 mags, and they are all as clean as these, outside and inside.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P226/P1010145.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P226/P1010147.jpg

100 mags! :wow: My largest collection is for my Kahrs, and that is probably about 15. I will need a few more for my new Sig. A total of 5 for .40 and 5 for 9 MM ought to do it.

I took my Sig mags apart just now and cleaned them with CLP. They were dry, with only a little carbon. But they are definitely clean and dry now.

I usually just clean under the top part of the magazine around the lips and don't have any problems. But once in a while it is good to clean them more thoroughly, I agree. The Sig mags came apart and then back together very easily.

bac1023
08-07-2010, 19:34
Congrats! :cool:

PVanCleave
08-10-2010, 16:11
Sig sent me the lowest front sight they have (#9). I already have the highest rear sight ("L"). But the rounds were still 3" low at 15 yards. They requested the entire gun back to look at it. If they agree it is shooting low, then they will fix it. If they don't, then they will return the gun with a charge of $100 for wasting their time.

This could take 3 weeks.

1911ES
09-02-2010, 17:07
100 mags! :wow: My largest collection is for my Kahrs, and that is probably about 15. I will need a few more for my new Sig. A total of 5 for .40 and 5 for 9 MM ought to do it.

I took my Sig mags apart just now and cleaned them with CLP. They were dry, with only a little carbon. But they are definitely clean and dry now.

I usually just clean under the top part of the magazine around the lips and don't have any problems. But once in a while it is good to clean them more thoroughly, I agree. The Sig mags came apart and then back together very easily.

No that's how a mag should look .... :thumbsup: