Best 1911 for $500 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best 1911 for $500

Buzz9mm
07-27-2010, 01:20
Hello,

I have been thinking about getting a 1911 for some time now, but don't want to jump on the wrong thing. I have seen the Rock Island Armory 1911's and the Springfield GI and Mil Spec in this price range, but want to know my best bet for my price range. I want a reliable 1911 more than a pretty one, if that helps. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

jrs93accord
07-27-2010, 02:26
Rock Island Armory Tactical

Black Cloud
07-27-2010, 02:39
You can get a RIA for that price out the door, and they are solid pistols.
I’m a Springfield man though, and if you are patient, you can find a used Mil. Spec. in great condition for the above price. I have seen some of the more desirable ones with the NM prefix go for that price. Just don’t forget to factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees.
Did I forget to mention that Springfield makes one of the best base pistols for a custom build, if you choose that route latter one. Oh yeah they also have a lifetime warranty one all their guns.

bac1023
07-27-2010, 04:24
Are you looking for an enhanced gun or a USGI replica? :dunno:

DubfromGA
07-27-2010, 04:58
What are your thoughts on the Para GI Expert?

I see those routinely on BudsGunShop.com for well under $500.

Not a bad looking gun.

zhix
07-27-2010, 05:58

Not a bad looking gun.

I would not do it. You could get one and it could be great, but if it turns out like mine did and the ejector pin shears off at under 250 rounds, Para customer service is NFG.

High Altitude
07-27-2010, 06:10
Hello,

I have been thinking about getting a 1911 for some time now, but don't want to jump on the wrong thing. I have seen the Rock Island Armory 1911's and the Springfield GI and Mil Spec in this price range, but want to know my best bet for my price range. I want a reliable 1911 more than a pretty one, if that helps. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

I would go with a springfield GI. If you have any issues SA has outstanding customer service.

Buzz9mm
07-27-2010, 11:20
Thanks for the replies guys! I do have some play on the budget, but I don't want to go crazy. If $100 makes a big difference as far as reliability, I'm open to suggestions other than what I have mentioned. I like the look of the base model RIA, and love the look of the Springfield GI (with the nice wood grips), but like I said, I would rather have a reliable 1911 than pretty one. Also, if I got the Springfield Mil Spec, and I like the GI (or other) grips better, are they easily changeable? Most likely, I wouldn't do anything to what I would get other than a grip change, so I want to start with something good to begin with. Thanks for the help so far, and keep the opinions coming!

GunFighter45ACP
07-27-2010, 11:23
RIA & Springfield are the 2 that come to my mind as well. If you want/need the extra features (ambi safety, etc) then RIA is they way to go, though. Aside from that, I'd try to handle both at the same time to see which one feels better to you & then decide/put your $ down. Most 1911 grips are interchangeable as long as they are for the same frame length, but you may need a different set of screws depending on the diameter of the holes, etc.

Quack
07-27-2010, 11:28
the Remington R1 is a really good 1911 for the price.

i actually prefer it over the SA mil-spec/G.I., and i'm a Springfield fan.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_3093.jpg

Hokie1911
07-27-2010, 11:31
Hello,

I would save a bit more and go for one of these...

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Images/sti_guns/sti_spartan.jpg

glockfan9
07-27-2010, 12:21
RIA tactical gets my vote.

rsxr22
07-27-2010, 12:21
i would also say to save another hundred and get a Spartan, but if not. R1, SA, or RIA all are good guns

Black Cloud
07-27-2010, 12:35
Thanks for the replies guys! I do have some play on the budget, but I don't want to go crazy. If $100 makes a big difference as far as reliability, I'm open to suggestions other than what I have mentioned. I like the look of the base model RIA, and love the look of the Springfield GI (with the nice wood grips), but like I said, I would rather have a reliable 1911 than pretty one. Also, if I got the Springfield Mil Spec, and I like the GI (or other) grips better, are they easily changeable? Most likely, I wouldn't do anything to what I would get other than a grip change, so I want to start with something good to begin with. Thanks for the help so far, and keep the opinions coming!

I forgot to put this in my orignal post.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

Russ424
07-27-2010, 13:49
I would save a bit more and go for one of these...

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Images/sti_guns/sti_spartan.jpg

I was just gonna mention the sparten when I seen Hookie post it. The extra 100 dollars you talked about would get you the sparten and I believe it is way worth it.

jrs93accord
07-27-2010, 14:19

Not a bad looking gun.

IMO, a big thumbs down. That is one 1911 I would never own.

freedom790
07-27-2010, 15:07

Not a bad looking gun.

The finish on mine wore off while cleaning it with breakfree clp. Then ParaOrd wanted $60 to reapply the finish. I said FU and sold it for $450. Broke even in the end. Unless Todd Jarrett himself gives me a ParaOrd and guarantees its greatness, I don't think I'll own another.

Quack
07-27-2010, 15:12
Todd Jarrett is no longer associated with Para.
He started a company of his own. http://www.toddjarrett.com/index.php
from the information that i've heard, he's in the process finishing up some things to get patents on some new internals. I hope it's not some goofy trigger mechanism like the LDA. I believe that he is looking to release/show his stuff at the next Shot Show.

Buzz9mm
07-27-2010, 15:27
I like the looks of the STI Spartan, but I'm not familiar with their company. Would a lot of people choose them over RIA and Springfield? Also, what would the difference be between the RIA base model or a Springfield Mil Spec and a $1000+ 1911? Anything major besides aesthetics? What justifies someone spending 2 times the price?

rsxr22
07-27-2010, 15:33
STI is arguably the best production 1911 manufacturer out there. IMO them and Springer are the best. The quality of the Spartan is much higher then what you pay for. There are tons of things that effect price. One important factor is front strap checkering, to me this is a huge concern. Sights, internals, frame and slide, and finish all will effect price. In most cases a $1000 1911 is worth a $1000. As far as cheaper 1911's go, rule of thumb is you usuasally get what you pay for. IMO this is not the case with the Spartan, i will say that the finish is weak on it, but that is about its only downfall. I was amazed at the slide to frame fit, trigger, and fitting of controls for $600.

Buzz9mm
07-27-2010, 15:39
STI is arguably the best production 1911 manufacturer out there. IMO them and Springer are the best. The quality of the Spartan is much higher then what you pay for. There are tons of things that effect price. One important factor is front strap checkering, to me this is a huge concern. Sights, internals, frame and slide, and finish all will effect price. In most cases a $1000 1911 is worth a $1000. As far as cheaper 1911's go, rule of thumb is you usuasally get what you pay for. IMO this is not the case with the Spartan, i will say that the finish is weak on it, but that is about its only downfall. I was amazed at the slide to frame fit, trigger, and fitting of controls for $600.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. If I may ask a few more questions, why would the front checkering be a huge concern? Also, what should I look for with internals, frame and slide?

Tactical black
07-27-2010, 15:46
Here's the four I would look at around that price range. you can probably find better prices then this if you shop around.

• STI Spartan $650.00

• Springfield Mil Spec $600.00

• Remington R1 $600.00

• RIA Tactical $450.00

Hokie1911
07-27-2010, 15:50
Here's the four I would look at around that price range. you can probably find better prices then this if you shop around.

• STI Spartan $650.00

• Springfield Mil Spec $600.00

• Remington R1 $600.00

• RIA Tactical $450.00

Totally agree with TB. In that order.

glock2740
07-27-2010, 16:20
Rock Island Armory Tactical
I agree.

rsxr22
07-27-2010, 16:58
front strap checkering allows the shooter to get a more firm grip on the pistol. Most 1911's come with 30 lines per inch checkering, i much prefer a more aggressive 20-25 lines per inch. My Spartan is the only 1911 i own w/o them so for the time being i just threw some skate board tape on the front strap. STI did a real good job with the Spartan considering they outsourced the frame and slide to armsacor, but they have STI guts and all of it blends together very well.
i agree as well with tactical's rankings of the best options in your price range.

thejellster05
07-28-2010, 00:14
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm definitely looking hard at the guns Tactical Black listed to be my first 1911. Problem is I'm a lefty. How hard is it to add a ambi safety to one of these? Price "guestimates" on labor for a gunsmith if needed.
If easy then I'm going to try and get the SA mill spec, if not the RIA tactical.
THANKS!

Black Cloud
07-28-2010, 01:57
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm definitely looking hard at the guns Tactical Black listed to be my first 1911. Problem is I'm a lefty. How hard is it to add a ambi safety to one of these? Price "guestimates" on labor for a gunsmith if needed.
If easy then I'm going to try and get the SA mill spec, if not the RIA tactical.
THANKS!

Price for the ambi is 50 + depending on manufacturer, and around 15 - 20 for labor.

crazymoose
07-28-2010, 02:32

Not a bad looking gun.

Paras are very spotty. The Rock Island is a much better gun for the money, and is a much better base for some custom work later if you decide on it.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

crazymoose
07-28-2010, 02:34
I like the looks of the STI Spartan, but I'm not familiar with their company. Would a lot of people choose them over RIA and Springfield? Also, what would the difference be between the RIA base model or a Springfield Mil Spec and a $1000+ 1911? Anything major besides aesthetics? What justifies someone spending 2 times the price?

The Spartan is essentially a Rock Island that has been fluffed and buffed by STI. I'm not sure, but I believe they may also install their own (excellent) fire control parts.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsxr22
07-28-2010, 15:11
yes STI uses their internals, so essentially it is a STI. The most important parts of the guns are what its got inside. It does incorporate armsacor slide and frame, but the reasons that make the Spartan more expensive are evident and justified.

glock360
07-30-2010, 20:27
Norinco, extremely reliable and made of the best steel.

You can’t get other 1911s made out of the same quality of metal until you get into the $1200+ range.

engineer151515
07-30-2010, 20:29
the Remington R1 is a really good 1911 for the price.

i actually prefer it over the SA mil-spec/G.I., and i'm a Springfield fan.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_3093.jpg

Nice clean look to that 1911.

Buzz9mm
04-04-2013, 01:48
It's been almost 3 years. I'll bring this thread back to life by saying that I love the look of that R1, minus the trigger! I don't know if it's been changed, but it looks so much different then every other trigger I've seen. At the very least they should blue it.

silversport
04-04-2013, 03:55
Quack likes the flat trigger (others too) but that doesn't come on the Remington's...it was mod'd

Bill

dregotglock
04-04-2013, 07:19
For the op's stated price range I can not speak highly enough about American Classic Commanders. I have approximately 2k rounds thru mine and she has been a blast to shoot. Reliable and dependable to serve in my CCW rotation.

IMHO I found the fit and finish to be above other Pi 1911's. The Rock Tactical is also a good one in the range.

Doc