Treadlok gun safe worth $300? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Treadlok gun safe worth $300?

geofri
07-27-2010, 18:57
Hey guys,

Just found a 15-gun Treadlok gun safe on craigslist, and Its something I've neglected to buy.

Kinda spur of the moment, i'd usually do a lot of research, but I dont want ot pass up a good deal.. Google wasn't able to get me a decent idea of value..

The owner said he paid $1200 for it 10 years ago. and it's in perfect shape.
He wants $300 for it.

Worth it as long as its not rusty or the internals jammed up somehow?

:dunno:

eddief4
07-27-2010, 19:06
i'm not familure with "Treadlock safes" but a 15 gun safe for $300 sounds reasonable and worth taking a look at. :wavey:

geofri
07-27-2010, 20:19
Thanks eddie, I might try to go see it this week.

bump for late nighters who might know more about this particular brand?

El_Ron1
07-27-2010, 21:06
He wants $300 for it. A quality safe will not depreciate that much. It's either a silly deal or a silly deal.

geofri
07-28-2010, 19:39
A quality safe will not depreciate that much. It's either a silly deal or a silly deal.

How would one determine whether or not its depreciated to that value, and not just under priced?

I am not looking for ft. knox, just something better than stashing them under the bed.

eddief4
07-28-2010, 20:02
well even those little Sentry gunsafes are more than that much. i'm pretty sure the owner did not pay $1200 for a 15gun safe (would have to be of Ft. Knox quality) but if it's as good if not a little better than those Sentry (or similar quality Stack on ect.) then you might wanna give it some thought.

ctfireman
07-28-2010, 20:07
At least go & check it out as long as its not hours away. Could be a great deal.

Kasinefect
07-28-2010, 20:11
I paid $400 for a similar Treadlok safe 25 years ago. I would be amazed if the former owner paid $ 1000 for his! That being said, If it is anything like mine it is easily worth $ 300. If you got the type with the Medeco key lock bear in mind that not every keymaker can cut those type keys. Also, every once in a while check the ring nut on the inside of the safe that secures the lock as sometimes these come loose. Otherwise this sounds like a great deal if the safe is in good condition.

geofri
07-28-2010, 20:19
I paid $400 for a similar Treadlok safe 25 years ago. I would be amazed if the former owner paid $ 1000 for his! That being said, If it is anything like mine it is easily worth $ 300. If you got the type with the Medeco key lock bear in mind that not every keymaker can cut those type keys. Also, every once in a while check the ring nut on the inside of the safe that secures the lock as sometimes these come loose. Otherwise this sounds like a great deal if the safe is in good condition.

Thanks for the tips!

I actually forgot to ask what the locking mechanism is.. I assumed just a combo dial...ill find out when i hear back form him.

Jim Watson
07-28-2010, 22:04
I had a Treadlok footlocker type case with Medeco key locks. It was all right for the day and age, but there are better safes available now. Not for $300, though.

harleyfx69
07-28-2010, 22:08
safes loose a lot of value once purchased because they are so difficult to move,

a good safe requires at least 4-6 guys minimum , if you involve stairs or other obstacles, then up the man power, or bring in equipment, not to mention most trucks cant even technically carry that much weight in the bed..

bhp9mm
07-29-2010, 07:09
safe don't really keep value i think $300 is a good price here is a link from 2008 for a 20 gun one used they wanted $495

http://www.monroelock.com/usedsafes/treadlock.html

tjstotz5dj7
04-28-2012, 21:30
Hey guys,

Just found a 15-gun Treadlok gun safe on craigslist, and Its something I've neglected to buy.

Kinda spur of the moment, i'd usually do a lot of research, but I dont want ot pass up a good deal.. Google wasn't able to get me a decent idea of value..

He wants $300 for it.

Worth it as long as its not rusty or the internals jammed up somehow?

:dunno:

Sounds like a heck of a deal. You can't find the cheap chinese ones that cheap.

4 glocks
04-29-2012, 06:48
I have a Treadlok gun safe. I bought it 25 to 30 years ago.
I paid $325 wholesale price. Treadlok gun safe was made by Tread corp. of Roanoke Va. they went out of business years ago. Treadlok was a low end gun safe. Mine is not fire proof but I have not had any problems with it. I keep it in a locked closet and it's bolted to the floor. I know it's not top of the line but it would keep the average punk who breaks in houses out. I would say $300 would be a good price. I do not buy that $1,200 price but maybe he did who knows, if he did he paid to much. Op if it would help you PM me your e-mail address and I can send pic. I would look at it for $300 you can not go wrong.

4 glocks
04-29-2012, 07:01
Wow I just saw this tread is almost 2 years old.

tjstotz5dj7
04-29-2012, 10:08
I have a Treadlok gun safe. I bought it 25 to 30 years ago.
I paid $325 wholesale price. Treadlok gun safe was made by Tread corp. of Roanoke Va. they went out of business years ago. Treadlok was a low end gun safe. Mine is not fire proof but I have not had any problems with it. I keep it in a locked closet and it's bolted to the floor. I know it's not top of the line but it would keep the average punk who breaks in houses out. I would say $300 would be a good price. I do not buy that $1,200 price but maybe he did who knows, if he did he paid to much. Op if it would help you PM me your e-mail address and I can send pic. I would look at it for $300 you can not go wrong.

Sorry about getting an old thread going again, but I am interested in the treadlok. I just bought a used one that is fireproof(supposedly) and he paid 1800 new for it. I gave him 750 for it. Hope it's not a scam.

geofri
04-29-2012, 10:14
:rofl:

Well I didn't ever update the thread. I did get it, no complaints so far, but it hasn't been put to any tests fortunately.

It's a keyed lock, and not lined for fireproofing. Just a plain steel box.

4 glocks
04-29-2012, 10:25
Sorry about getting an old thread going again, but I am interested in the treadlok. I just bought a used one that is fireproof(supposedly) and he paid 1800 new for it. I gave him 750 for it. Hope it's not a scam.

I have had mine 25+ years no issues at all. All in all it's a good safe. It was a lower end model non fire proof weight
about 350 lbs empty. With all the ammo I have in it must weight 800+lbs. When you get into a fire proof safe the weight gets up there. Is it a local sale? How will it be delivered? I would say $750 for a fire proof safe is a good deal.

FireForged
04-29-2012, 17:00
Treadlok makes a good safe and the 4-lug lock mech is well built and will last a long long time. They are known for being a very basic/reliable "no frills" safe. The inside is very basic (wood/carpet) and its exterior is normally painted in a kind of Line-x looking textured paint. Many had a single pistol shelf up top and 15 rifle slots below with provisions for long and short rifles. The 15 gun safe back in the late 1990's was $800 and fairly heavy. I have not seen a Treadlok for $1200 but either way.. $300 is a good price for a 10year old Treadlok. As far as it being actually 15 gun... its probably more like 15 marlin 22 rifles and not 15 rifles of different sizes and types. Good luck

COLDSTEEL165
01-04-2013, 22:18
I bought a 15 gun floor safe from TREADLOCK back in the 1990's it has a electronic door lock,that runs on a 9volt battery & has a wall plug in in case if the battery dies to open the safe.? I still have it & it is as good as the day that I bought it. I change the battery once a year,And it works fine. the company went out of business back in the early 2000, But parts for the safe are still available,but I am not sure of what company carries them.? :dunno: