EMP and +P [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EMP and +P

reloader_22
07-28-2010, 14:43
I recently picked an EMP in 9mm and would like to know if it's ok to shoot the Winchester Ranger 124 gr LE loads, which I believe are loaded at a higher pressure pushing the 124gr pill to about 1200 fps. Please note that I haven't broken in this new addition yet. Thanks...

drc767
07-28-2010, 15:05
I can bet your not going to get anywhere near 1,200 fps out of the EMP. Also keep in mind the EMP is a lightweight frame and short slide....not the best combination with +P ammo. In any event, I would see how the pistol shoots with the load and take it from there. If the pistol has no issue with it, then you should be fine. I have shot the +P HST in both 124g and 147g through my EMP with no issues, but prefer to shoot the lighter standard pressure loads like the 124g Short Barrel Gold Dot loads. The EMP is a nice little pistol.

auburn4
07-28-2010, 16:36
Youngman, you have one of the finest 9mm firearms on the market today. PLEASE do not fall into the +P trap. The advances made in defensive ammo in the last 3-4 years has made +P a mute issue. My EMP is the best firearm I have ever owned. I have never read/heard about a wounded felon saying, man that +P ammo really messed me up.

Quack
07-28-2010, 16:51
Right now I'm using 124gr +P Gold-Dots.
You should be ok with occasional use, but if its a steady diet, you'll see the frame fail sooner than using standard pressure ammo.

reloader_22
07-28-2010, 17:18
I've decided not to use the Winchester Ranger ammo that I referenced due to feedback stated above. Auburn4, what ammo do you use in your EMP? I'll most likely go with a 124gr standard pressure HP.

Quack
07-28-2010, 17:31
:dunno:
have now idea how this late double-tap happened

RX7Boricua
07-28-2010, 21:19
I thought the short barrel stuff was +P to overcome the lower velocity of the shorter barrel pistols? I had considered the SB GDs for the wife's EMP 9MM but figured anything +P wouldn't play well with the aluminum frame. I'm guessing the steel framed .40SW EMP would be better for it. Sidenote: I've gotta send the wife's new EMP back to Springfield due to some hanging up of the thumb safety when disengaged with the left hand. It's weird, works fine when clicked off with the right hand, but it hangs up 80% of the time when using the left hand.

drc767
07-28-2010, 21:52
I thought the short barrel stuff was +P to overcome the lower velocity of the shorter barrel pistols? I had considered the SB GDs for the wife's EMP 9MM but figured anything +P wouldn't play well with the aluminum frame. I'm guessing the steel framed .40SW EMP would be better for it. Sidenote: I've gotta send the wife's new EMP back to Springfield due to some hanging up of the thumb safety when disengaged with the left hand. It's weird, works fine when clicked off with the right hand, but it hangs up 80% of the time when using the left hand.

Nope....the short barrel Gold Dots are standard pressure. They just have a different powder to help facilitate a better burn in the short barrel to give them a little more velocity.

RX7Boricua
07-28-2010, 22:00
Excellent, thank you for the clarification. I'm now trying to get my hands on an LCP for the wife so she won't notice when I start carrying her EMP. :D

BOGE
07-28-2010, 22:34
Nope....the short barrel Gold Dots are standard pressure. They just have a different powder to help facilitate a better burn in the short barrel to give them a little more velocity.

Are you sure? I was lead to believe they simply have a different HP cavity. For example, the GD 200 gr. 44 Spcl. has a soup bowl for a cavity & the .44 Mag. is smaller. :dunno:

drc767
07-28-2010, 22:40
Are you sure? I was lead to believe they simply have a different HP cavity. For example, the GD 200 gr. 44 Spcl. has a soup bowl for a cavity & the .44 Mag. is smaller. :dunno:

Some of the calibers have redesigned bullets.....I do not believe the 9mm is one of them. Just a different powder. The velocity difference is not enough to require a new bullet design for the 9mm. Actually.....I stand corrected on the Short Barrel Pressure though.....They are +P, not standard pressure. I have too much ammo, I guess......I was getting all the different flavors mixed up....I guess I got the 9mm confused with the .45, which is not +P.

"We redesigned select Gold Dot bullets to make the cavity larger for reliable expansion at the reduced velocities common to short barrel handguns"

RX7Boricua
07-28-2010, 22:49
Some of the calibers have redesigned bullets.....I do not believe the 9mm is one of them. Just a different powder. The velocity difference is not enough to require a new bullet design for the 9mm. Actually.....I stand corrected on the Short Barrel Pressure though.....They are +P, not standard pressure. I have too much ammo, I guess......I was getting all the different flavors mixed up....I guess I got the 9mm confused with the .45, which is not +P.

"We redesigned select Gold Dot bullets to make the cavity larger for reliable expansion at the reduced velocities common to short barrel handguns"

Hmm, so they're not good for the EMP then...

slick64
07-29-2010, 11:28
I've been pretty lucky with my EMP so far. Other then keeping it well lubed, it has shot every type of SD ammo I've put in it. Over the course of the last year, its got about 1K rounds through it, and a reliable carry piece for sure. I did have 2 of the 3 mags shortened by "Log Man" so they fit flush, but still work great.

MD357
07-29-2010, 12:50
I've been pretty lucky with my EMP so far. Other then keeping it well lubed, it has shot every type of SD ammo I've put in it. Over the course of the last year, its got about 1K rounds through it, and a reliable carry piece for sure. I did have 2 of the 3 mags shortened by "Log Man" so they fit flush, but still work great.

I'm in the same boat. Mine has ate all the junk ammo I could throw at it. I REALLY not worried about the frame, these things are really well built. Even if something major happened, I'd bet Springer would take care of you.

revel8
07-30-2010, 20:45
I got two boxes of pow r ball 100gr +p, testing commencing this weekend, in a 9mm emp

glock75
07-30-2010, 21:01
Personally, I prefer either the Remington Golden Sabre JHP in 124 gr or the Hornady 124 HP XTD TAP ammo.

I have run just about every type of ammo through the EMP with no failure or problems. Typically I am shooting Winchester ammo for practice and the Hornady or Remington for EDC.

GAFinch
07-30-2010, 21:32
Hmm, so they're not good for the EMP then...

They'll be fine. Just shoot a box or two to make sure it runs well through the gun, but don't shoot it on a semi-regular basis.

RX7Boricua
07-31-2010, 01:52
They'll be fine. Just shoot a box or two to make sure it runs well through the gun, but don't shoot it on a semi-regular basis.

Yeah I guess if it feeds it and shoots it fine it'd be alright (and better) for defensive carry, just not something you want to run at the range exclusively.

revel8
07-31-2010, 11:52
does corbon make the pow r ball in a non +p variant ?

remat
07-31-2010, 14:21
Anybody check with Springer to see if they are +P rated? I was thinking about one for the wife, but didn't see anything in the manual...

Quack
07-31-2010, 15:01
per the manual nothing under a 5" is +P rated.

that said people have called Springfield and the response was it's OK as long as it's not a regular diet of +P. i carry +P in my 9mm EMP right now.