What can you tell me about Camp Casey...Korea [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about Camp Casey...Korea

bocaboca
07-28-2010, 15:46
My grandson just finished his Cav Scout (19D) training at ft Knox. After his 2wk leave he's on his way to camp casey in south korea. does any1 have any 1st hand knowledge about the camp?
i know its hardship duty for 12 months, but what kind of hardship? he was offered an additional 300.00 per month if he agrees to a 2nd 12 months of duty there.

all i know is that the camp is in the norther part of south korea close to the border
any info would be appreciated

thanks

Luis50
08-20-2010, 16:37
My grandson just finished his Cav Scout (19D) training at ft Knox. After his 2wk leave he's on his way to camp casey in south korea. does any1 have any 1st hand knowledge about the camp?
i know its hardship duty for 12 months, but what kind of hardship? he was offered an additional 300.00 per month if he agrees to a 2nd 12 months of duty there.

all i know is that the camp is in the norther part of south korea close to the border
any info would be appreciated

thanks

I've been there a few times. I was stationed a few mile south in Camp Humphries.

It was 1979 and a lot has changed but, duty there was tougher than anywhere else in Korea imo.

I don't think there are many other places left in the world where our forces are that close to a communist border...literally face to face just a few miles further north in Pamunjon.

South Korea is a beautiful country so tell him to see as much of it as he can and enjoy himself.

I thank him and his family for serving.

God bless and be safe.

Padre
09-01-2010, 21:41
I was stationed at Camp Casey (2ID) from 1988-1989. Was the toughest year of my life but the most rewarding year. I learned more about the Army and how things are supposed to be done that I did in all the 19 years before and after the tour. I still have my 2ID field jacket..and look at it with pride. Thank your grandson for his service and tell him to enjoy "Casey". Look out for the 'ville.

bocaboca
09-03-2010, 16:04
thanks guys for your responses. we skype each other once or twice a week and he seems to enjoy it so far but he's only been there 5 weeks...they have an air assault school between camp casey and camp hovey that he wants to attend. he's 19, a cav scout and full of energy.
i cant wait till its gets the middle of winter.....we'll see if his California blood can take the cold.
i'll keep ya posted

Padre
09-04-2010, 09:28
Tell him to get ready for winter. When the North wind blows down from Manchuria, it is brutal. I have NEVER felt that kind of cold. Cuts right through you, no matter how much clothing you have on.

metrogruntual
09-18-2010, 07:03
i was there as infantry from jan08-jan09.

is that air assault school really "there"?

please tell him:

1. not to extend, if he does, he'll be heading back to the states with more rank and less experience than those he will be expected to lead

2. use the $4,500 a year he is given for tuition and get in school. he can earn college credit now and more importantly have something in common with the college women waiting for his return to the US

3. stay single

4. if he cannot help himself and must date, he should do so ONLY with English Teachers from Canada, Britian, Australia or New Zealand

5. don't RE-ENLIST!!! doing so before SGT/e5 is stupid.

there is an entire GENERATION of soldiers in the army now because they violated one or more of the above