New PM9 Range Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New PM9 Range Report

briang2ad
07-28-2010, 19:11
Bottom Line Up Front: Accurate, reliable, fun to shoot, keeper.

Did my first range session today with my "new" PM9. Picked it up as "used", but she was new in box at the store. Gal bought it, kept it unfired, then must have traded/sold to the shop.

It was FUN to shoot. It kicks the palm for sure because of the narrow width. but, my buddy said, that it is much nicer than his J-frame. I went through about 100 ourds, and even though my web was aching - I wanted more. It was HOT today, so we quit.

Accurate. At 12 yards I can hold them on the 7 ring of a 25 ft Pistol Target. I actually had a string of 4 go into one inch in the 10 ring. Even when 'combat' shooting at some steel gongs at about 15 yards, I was able to put them down on the first hit most of the time after one practice round. If you concentrate, you can get very good accuracy with the DA trigger - surprising to me - I'm a SA guy - Hi Power, CZ, 1911. At the end, I actually shot a group almost as good as my Hi Power!

Reliable. I had one hiccup. And the mag dropped, so either I did not insert the mag right (and it still fired the first 3 rounds), or I hit the mag catch. One time I also dropped the mag at the end of a string prematurely. This ONLY happened with the 7 rounder, and may have something to do with the slightly different hold with THAT mag. The mag catch is not overly sensitive - that is a good thing. With a 6 round mag, you can slingshot. With the 7 you can, but will have to tap the slide again. The mag release method is definitely the way to go with her. This is ALL about orientation of the rounds when the mag is full, and why it is 'worse' with the 7 rounder. This is ALSO the same thing that happens in a 1911. I only had TWO el cheapo Remington hollow points to throw into her. I put them in the middle of a mag mixed with Win and Rem ball, and she ate them up. I even totally limp wristed two rounds - not a problem. I think this is a reliable gun. The others were Fed and WWW. I do admit to a good cleaning, and a light buff of the feed ramp yesterday.

I actually LIKED shooting with the 6 round mag better. My fingers on the bottom tend to stabilize this little gem. The rounded front to the 6rd base is perfectly designed. When I get more mags, I might go for the 6rd.

I hold firmly with what I call my XD Grip. Because the slide release on an XD is near the strong (rt) thumb, I put it wide (the thumb that is) over my left hand thumb. This opens it up to the web getting kicked on recoil, but you get a VERY firm grip, and you DON'T hit the slide release. This may have accelerated the battering of my web, but she was STILL fun to shoot!

Here is the downside. I am an elder in my church, and I made my gun buddy brother LUST for a PM9. He is lusting REALLY badly at this point...

The PM9 is COOL! now to test with some HPs. I took it dirty and put 7 rounds in the extended mag with new Win 124 gr +P XTPs. I used the slide release, and the top round fed nicely. Hopefully, this weekend will prove these to be good. BTW - they are selling them at WW.

lndshark
08-06-2010, 12:06
That's great news Brian! I knew that you wouldn't be disappointed with your purchase...the PM9 truely is an amazing pistol, isn't it? Each time I shoot mine I'm still stunned by it's performance. Try a Pearce magazine extension. I've got the "+0"'ones for my PM9 and they really helped with the grip (but they do stick out a bit more slightly printing through a t-shirt).

Good on ya'! Now go out and shoot it some more!

Linux3
08-06-2010, 12:59
I like the 6 round mags better. I too curl my little finger under the mag base and I think it helps stabilize the pistol.
I have 5 each 6 round and 1 each 7. I do cheat a little and use the 7 rounder for BUG side shoots but the goal of the PM9 is to hide it. Why use a bigger mag.

briang2ad
08-09-2010, 08:46
Exactly. I also see no reason to enlarge the print and add a Pearce extension. 6+1 is adequate - two more than and comparable revolver...

briang2ad
08-09-2010, 17:01
I DO think the ideal carry gun is the PM 9. I HOPE that it proves to be a 'lifetime' gun, as I have read posts hear and on Kahrtalk which contradict that...

Two things still bug me. The case head support is not much. and.. the rails look flimsy, and I only see them in front.

DId some more shooting today - AOK. You really need to concentrate, but when you do you it shoots EXACTLY where it is pointed.

revel8
08-09-2010, 19:11
I DO think the ideal carry gun is the PM 9. I HOPE that it proves to be a 'lifetime' gun, as I have read posts hear and on Kahrtalk which contradict that...

Two things still bug me. The case head support is not much. and.. the rails look flimsy, and I only see them in front.

DId some more shooting today - AOK. You really need to concentrate, but when you do you it shoots EXACTLY where it is pointed.

What's meant by case support here, do any of you own the kahr k9 or t9?

briang2ad
08-09-2010, 19:55
When you pull out the barrel, take a dummy round, or live (be careful), and drop it in. With a CZ the case head disappears into the chamber except for the slightest bit at the 6 o'clock position. IN the Kahr, MOST of the case head is exposed to get a shorter chamber.

Cowart
08-10-2010, 10:40
the rails look flimsy, and I only see them in front.

The only function of those rails is to guide the slide into place when the gun is reassembled. They don't do anything during the actual firing cycle.

frank_drebin
08-10-2010, 11:03

Honestly, the PM9 should get better the more you shoot it. The only real issue with these guns is the fact that they are so friggen tight when they build them. My PM40 was very finicky for the first 250 or so rounds. After that it loosened up noticeably and reliability with any ammo was achievable. On the PM9 I wouldn't hesitate to put some really hot rounds down the pipe to aid in the break-in.