870 trigger stuck...HELP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 trigger stuck...HELP!

seamaster
07-28-2010, 20:44
I recently picked up a lightly used 1977 Wingmaster. It actually looked unfired. I tried shooting it today but after the first shot the trigger gets stuck and feels like the safety is on but it's not.

To get the trigger unstuck I had to unload the gun and work the slide very aggresively. I'd try again and the first shot would go off and then the trigger would once again feel as if the safety was on. The safety was not on. I repeated this several times with the same results...first shot works but then gets stuck.

I removed the trigger group and it appears to be working fine and working the gun unloaded and squeezing the trigger it appears to be in working order.

I'm confused because my other Wingmaster has thousands of rounds thru it and it never ever had a problem. This one looked unfired when I got it but it's not working.

I did a search and didn't find a topic on this so I'm asking your for you help. Has anyone experienced this before and if yes what's the recommended repair?

Thanks,
Seamaster

seamaster
07-28-2010, 23:18
I guess I'll call Remington tomorrow to get their advice.

I'm wondering if I goofed something when I took it apart to clean it or maybe I didn't assemble it correctly?

Seamaster

glock2619
07-29-2010, 07:15
I'm guessing sometime soon here that aippi will see this post and probably have some ideas on things to check for. He's a bit of a Remington guy.

My only thought is that it's 33 years old and might just be gummed up and need a good cleaning and lubrication. My experience mirrors yours in that old Wingmasters just work. Period. But, you say that it seems to work fine when you dry cycle it and it only sticks when you fire it? If so, that would probably rule out my "it's just dirty" idea.

What would lead you to think you assembled it incorrectly? Did you have to force something?

:dunno:

You have excellent taste in shotguns regardless.

seamaster
07-29-2010, 08:11
I took it apart again last night and it's clean inside. I really think it was unfired before yesterday.

I won't be able to try it again for at least 2 weekends but next time I'll bring the other Wingmaster and swap trigger groups to see what happens. If I learn anything from calling Remington I'll post it here.

Thanks,
Seamaster

seamaster
07-29-2010, 10:33
I called Remington and the guy said it might be the trigger return spring but if it's working fine dryfiring it's probly not that. I'll have to try the other trigger group in it and see what happens.

The worst part is that I'll be out of town for next couple weekends and won't be able to shoot it to find to find the problem!

Seamaster

aippi
07-29-2010, 12:44
I read this post and don't have a clue. I hesitate when it comes to trigger and safety issues as these are things that can lead to AD's and get me sued.

I don't know what a trigger return spring is. If you mean the sear spring then, maybe it is some of the issue. However, I don't understand how the issue happens only after firing a round but the weapon works fine empty.

There are many issues that should go to a gun smith and this is one of them. To figure this out without the weapon in your hands would be very difficult. So, change out the sear spring from you other 1100 and try it. If that resolves it then you saved a visit to a gun smith.

If you need to see how to change that part go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and there is a how to video "Sear Spring". It is easy and takes about 5 seconds. And yes, it is the same for the 1100 as for the 870 tigger assembly in the video.

Hydra-SHOKz
07-29-2010, 20:57
Is it possible the hammer is getting stuck behind the bolt?

Z71bill
07-29-2010, 21:17
I guess I'll call Remington tomorrow to get their advice.

I'm wondering if I goofed something when I took it apart to clean it or maybe I didn't assemble it correctly?

Seamaster

What do you mean by - took it apart?

Just remove the pins and drop the trigger assembly -

or did you take the trigger assembly apart too?

You could always drop the trigger assemblies out of both of your guns and compare them - maybe you could spot the problem -

Or put the trigger assembly from your other gun in the problem gun and if that solves the problem at least you would know 100% that your problem is with the trigger assembly.

seamaster
07-29-2010, 22:03
Thanks for the advice. I did not take apart the trigger assembly, just took it out of the gun.

I'll try all the recommendations mentioned and see how it goes. I'm sure it's something really simple as there aren't many parts to one of these things. I will post again in a couple weeks after I get a chance to work on it.

Thanks,
Seamaster