Joining a lodge. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Joining a lodge.

DR. HOUSE
07-29-2010, 12:20
Hello, I know this has been asked before in other threads but I was looking for a bit more clarification.

What is being a Mason all about?

Is a free mason obligated to donate money often?

What do you do at the meetings?

We have a lodge and I have always been curious about them and might be interested in joining........

thanks

Batesmotel
07-29-2010, 18:26
Go talk to them. Many lodges have dinners or other activities where anyone can come. I am sure someone would love to answer any of your questions.

07-29-2010, 19:29
Being a Mason is one of the best things I have ever done. I was the Worshipful master of my lodge last year and it was a great honor and thrill to serve my lodge.

As a mason you are not obligated to pay anything more than your yearly dues. Mine are $75 per year.

The saying is that Freemasonry makes good ken better.

If you have particular questions, I can try to answer them or at least point you in the right direction.

Let me know if you need help

mmsig229
08-04-2010, 03:48
Business meetings are usually held once a month where bills are paid and upcoming events are discussed. Degree work is usually scheduled as needed. Like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to join to discover the "secrets" of to make business connections, you're joining for the wrong reasons. I'd suggest the book "Freemasonry For Dummies." It explains a great deal without going overboard. Good Luck!!!

DR. HOUSE
08-04-2010, 06:58
Business meetings are usually held once a month where bills are paid and upcoming events are discussed. Degree work is usually scheduled as needed. Like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to join to discover the "secrets" of to make business connections, you're joining for the wrong reasons. I'd suggest the book "Freemasonry For Dummies." It explains a great deal without going overboard. Good Luck!!!

I think I know what you are saying but could you clarify a bit more with your statement?

Bilbo Baggins
08-04-2010, 10:18
Let me give it a shot for you.
The Craft is a fellowship of Brothers. That is above and beyond everything else, no matter where you go in the world there are Friends you don't even know you had. Any Lodge will welcome you for a visit and treat you like one of thier own, or give assistance if you are in need.
To me that is the greatest part of the Craft.
You don't join because you are curious as to what goes on behind closed doors, or to flash a ring at job interviews or other such occasions.
There is a deep feeling of satisfaction I get from going to Lodge, Learning the rituals we use, Working with my Brothers on Worthy charitable causes, or just hanging out for some fellowship.
It does have this in common with other groups, most of the men involved have the same ideals and morals in common with each other and thus the gatherings we have are almost always very plesant and conductive to enjoyment
The basis of the Craft is that by using the teachings of Holy writings and giving the workings tools of the stonemasons moral analogies we strive to learn to live our lives as better and more decent men, conforming to a higher moral compass.