quick question on old packs of buckshot... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : quick question on old packs of buckshot...

ScrappyDoo
07-29-2010, 19:07
...Dad and I are doing some cleaning and re-arranging and moving some stuff, and an OLD plastic "milk" crate full of stuff from probably before my time, lots of old stuff, we found some shotgun shells. All he can tell me was "I didn't carry a shotgun on duty for a long time, and it was a LOOOONNNGG time ago. ... but as long as you're careful and maybe get some advice , you can shoot em!"

I could use some cheap (Read: free) buck to bang out of my 930 SPX and of course the Supernova Turk/Tac :... almost 10 boxes of 5 and four loose shells.

They are white Winchester boxes, big SUPER-X on the logo, then text in lines:

SUPER-X
SUPER BUCKSHOT LOADS
5 SHELLS - 12 GA. - 2 3/4"
00 BUCK (9 PELLETS)
PLASTIC SHOTGUN SHELLS

The boxes, while dusty, dirty, and a little worn, are largely in tack. They gotta be 20 years easy... probably closer if not 30 years..

the shells inside look absolutely fine, just a little dirty.

Even the loose 4 shells look "decent" enough, I'd probably want to towel them off a little.

Now I am wondering if these are good to go? I am not familiar with old ammo, old shotgun shells particularly so. I have never had trouble firing a weapon but have memorized my "hang fire' etc. problems pretty good... And as Capt pointed out, it's not like I'm shooting a slug that could get lodged down the middle of the barrel; however, it's certainly possible misfires etc. could plug up the barrel so i'ld have to be extra vigilante.

Aside from normal and of course definitely EXTRA safety procedures jumped up , am I make-that IS IT safe ok etc. to shoot these? Just want to go fire some buckshot down the pipes of my shotguns and also gain this experience too.

Thank you for your experience and help in this matter.

And among other people, Mr. McGuire I haven't been on the site since, well, a week or two, but I wanted to talk to you and coudln't exactly remember your name/company/etc. but I'd be interested in talking about a special purchase, not sure if I have enough to even get you listening but I'd like a try...(60th birthday /related retirement/just literally last weekend bought a place in the Mtns to chill out in) so I've been thinking about this for a while, had considered the , lets say RIFLE, I might have entertained buying for him, but now I am thinking special shotgun. Can you PM me and I'll give you my email/cellphone/etc.? Thanks Mr. McGuire.

and thanks to all who offer help on the old shotgun shells.

spikehunter
07-29-2010, 19:47
I'd shoot them...............

vafish
07-29-2010, 20:25
I'd shoot them...............

I would too. Just pay attention if they sound/feel weak they might be a squib leaving the wad in the barrel.

I wouldn't use them for home defense either.

ScrappyDoo
07-29-2010, 20:34
Spike and Fish, just the answer I was looking for thank you. Feel much better now.

And no, def not for home defense, I want to go throw lead with them, then run through a 25 pack of Rem Birdshot value packs or so, and take the guns home, break em down and clean'em up real real good, oil em up, and put back together and loaded with some plenty Hornady TAP 00 Home Defense shells, so they're ripped, roaring, and ready to go...with a nice bath and bodyworks to keep em preserved and pretty.

MrMurphy
07-29-2010, 20:54
I was carrying belts of 7.62 made for Vietnam on duty in 2006. If the ammo is in decent shape, shoot it (carefully) on the range and keep an eye on any odd sounds or function. Otherwise, enjoy.

ScrappyDoo
07-29-2010, 21:28
Wow MrMurphy that is both extreme ammo and extreme balls carrying on duty. Impressssive. Like it said it passed my visual "n00b" test but I will indeed shoot very carefully. Thanks for the responses, seriously, wasnt sure I'd get any at all

Thanks much.

MrMurphy
07-29-2010, 23:59
Not really, a couple years ago they were shooting .50 in Iraq made to use against the Germans....... 1945 war storage.

I had belts of 5.56 for my M249 made in '90-91 still being issued and 7.62 from the '67-onward time frame. If it's kept in a cool dry place, nothing wrong with it. Ammo will fire that's 60-70 years old with only a few duds, 30-40 yrs is not a big deal if properly stored.

Z71bill
07-30-2010, 09:11
Last year I found & shot some of my 12 gauge reloads from the 1970's

As ammo ages it will never gain in power - so shooting old stuff will not blow up your gun - if not stored properly it could lose a little power.

The only risk - which is always a risk even with new ammo - is you will get a dud round - just enough power to push the wad into the barrel -

Obviously if you have a dud and then fire another round without checking the barrel you could end up with a BIG problem - if your lucky it would just bulge your gun barrel - worst case it could blow up your barrel and hurt you.

So all you need to do - is pay attention to the power of the round - which IMHO is something you should do every time you shoot - even with new ammo.

If it gives you a nice BANG and a normal amount of recoil you are good to go with your next shot - get a wimpy puff and almost no recoil - stop shooting, unload and check your barrel for any obstructions.

fiasconva
07-30-2010, 14:23
If the shells are old enough to be paper I might be cautious but if they are plastic I'd go for it. If they are buckshot and not slugs and if you get a dud they will just roll out of the end of the barrel. It's happened to me a few times when I shot up some old shells I found in my grandfather's pantry years ago.

Ferdinandd
07-30-2010, 18:39
I'd try them out as prictice ammo. Try to be very aware of watching the ejected hull. If one happens to separate, it could leave a collar of plastic inside the bore that might cause a pressure spike with the next round fired.