Colt Defender Guide Rod Failure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Defender Guide Rod Failure

CDR_Glock
07-29-2010, 19:15
My friend has a 2 month old Colt Defender. One factory magazine has given him double feeds with almost every load. The other factory magazine pushed the round up out of the ejection port and jammed. What caused that?

Lastly, when he went to place a fresh magazine and rack the slide, the slide had a lot of resistance. With the assistance of the Rangemaster at the range, we discovered a broken guide rod and bent spring. Is this a common occurrence for a double spring guide rod? Is this common or expected in a Colt 1911? I would think No on both accounts.

Since my friend bought the gun new, does he have the option to just get store credit since the gun failed him (rather than wait for the factory to 'fix' it)?

Please advise. Thank you.

BOGE
07-29-2010, 21:43
A better question is has your friend contacted Colt to address these issues? Since we don`t know how you friend shoots or dismantles the gun there is really no concrete answer. Have him contact Colt.

CDR_Glock
07-29-2010, 22:15
A better question is has your friend contacted Colt to address these issues? Since we don`t know how you friend shoots or dismantles the gun there is really no concrete answer. Have him contact Colt.

I don't know how he dismantled the gun either. He and I are making a trip to the store to have it examined.

What kind of jam is it when the last rpund gets stuck halfway out of the ejection Port?

CMG
07-30-2010, 03:53
I don't know how many guide rods have broken, but I have heard Defender owners switch to a Kimber Ultra-carry guide rod and spring set-up for the reliability it offers.

The last round failure may be due to poorly formed magazine feed lips. It's hard to accurately diagnose from a distance.

CDR_Glock
07-30-2010, 16:54
My friend called Colt and he stated that they will be sending him a new guiderod and spring. It was a known flaw per his conversation. It seems like we should be looking for design flaws or recalls as a step before making a purchase of an expensive gun. Thanks everyone.

paul45
07-31-2010, 08:43
My friend called Colt and he stated that they will be sending him a new guiderod and spring. It was a known flaw per his conversation. It seems like we should be looking for design flaws or recalls as a step before making a purchase of an expensive gun. Thanks everyone.

This was part of a recall Colt had. They found some suppliers parts were not up to par and had this recall posted all over their website for a LONG time, complete with serial numbers and instructions. This info was also all over the 1911 forums as well for a LONG time. Sorry you apparently missed all the information.

HexHead
07-31-2010, 09:00
This was part of a recall Colt had. They found some suppliers parts were not up to par and had this recall posted all over their website for a LONG time, complete with serial numbers and instructions. This info was also all over the 1911 forums as well for a LONG time. Sorry you apparently missed all the information.

Yep, I have a New Agent, which is the Defender's blued brother. The recall involved, for the Defender, the new recoil spring design which is closed on both sides, and a new guide rod. Even though his friend bought the gun "new", who knows how long it sat at the gun store or distributor before it was sold, it may have not had "the fix". He needs to look to see if the spring on the broken guide rod is open on one end, or closed on both ends. If the older spring is put in backwards, with the open end facing the barrel link, there had been reports of that breaking the guide rod stop, hence the recall.

CDR_Glock
07-31-2010, 16:22
Yep, I have a New Agent, which is the Defender's blued brother. The recall involved, for the Defender, the new recoil spring design which is closed on both sides, and a new guide rod. Even though his friend bought the gun "new", who knows how long it sat at the gun store or distributor before it was sold, it may have not had "the fix". He needs to look to see if the spring on the broken guide rod is open on one end, or closed on both ends. If the older spring is put in backwards, with the open end facing the barrel link, there had been reports of that breaking the guide rod stop, hence the recall.

I don't know how long it was in the case. I have seen guns that they have as new that are no longer produced.