Pierce mag +1 extensions in G 36 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pierce mag +1 extensions in G 36

saltydog452
07-30-2010, 09:52
Just curious, has anyone noticed previously absent reliability issues after installing the Pierce +(something) extension?...did an X-P mag spring solve the problem?... or did you have to go back to OEM 6 rd mags and springs ?

Thanks,

salty

the perfesser
07-30-2010, 21:24
No reliability issues with Pearce +1 mag extensions and stock springs. The only change I can note is greater difficulty slingshotting the slide on a fully-loaded (= 7 round) mag. My off hand strength is not great, in any event. I do not view this as a problem, for the 7-rounder is the reload mag to be loaded from slidelock, and any malfunction with subsequent rounds will involve an underloaded -- an hence easily manipulated -- mag.

Atlas
07-31-2010, 11:00
I've used the +1 extensions a bit with no problems.
I did find eventually that I just prefer the +0 extensions, but I like having the +1 extensions available as well.

My hands are so small that the standard magazine with no extension is comfortable for me also.

rwils53
07-31-2010, 21:14
I ran two mags. through 4 full cycles each today. Flawless.

bklynpete
08-06-2010, 11:33
I've been carrying and shooting with a Pearce +1 mag ext for over a year now, no issues at all.

Pete

fasteddie565
08-13-2010, 13:25
I had one mag with the Pierce +1 that balled up occasionally, I took it apart and think that when I put the +1 on, I kinked the spring or somehow had it mis-seated. Try disassembly, cleaning and making sure your spring is seated properly. What kind of problems are yo having?

thunder380
08-23-2010, 19:53
Tried a +1 (have +0's on all my other mags). Nothing but problems! Disassembled and cleaned/checked/reassembled; same problem. Got another +0 and deep six'd the +1. Have seen some posts that suggest changing the spring; sort of makes sense but I am one of those anal 100% guys so I'm not screwing with "Glock Perfection" :pirates:

Little Joe
08-24-2010, 20:11
I always add the Wolff + 10% mag springs. The 10% refers to length. You are lengthening the mag with the +1 mag extension. It makes sense to me to the lengthen the spring as well. The stock spring was designed for a six round mag. It may work okay for a while with the stock spring, but when you start having problems switch to a Wolff +10% spring and watch those problems disappear. Just hope your first problem doesn't happen when it counts for real. :shocked:

Those springs are cheap enough to get it correct straight off. It's worth it to me.

thunder380
08-24-2010, 22:26
I always add the Wolff + 10% mag springs. The 10% refers to length. You are lengthening the mag with the +1 mag extension. It makes sense to me to the lengthen the spring as well. The stock spring was designed for a six round mag. It may work okay for a while with the stock spring, but when you start having problems switch to a Wolff +10% spring and watch those problems disappear. Just hope your first problem doesn't happen when it counts for real. :shocked:

Those springs are cheap enough to get it correct straight off. It's worth it to me.

Most excellent advice! Your last sentence is why I'm such a stickler for my carry piece. Have been close enough to "for real" a few times to have had it "scared" into my very being!!

Maybe I'll give the +10% spring a try and resurrect that +1 (never enough ammo "on board"...even if its .45, right?

Thanks

Thanks

Little Joe
08-26-2010, 11:11
Most excellent advice! Your last sentence is why I'm such a stickler for my carry piece. Have been close enough to "for real" a few times to have had it "scared" into my very being!!

Maybe I'll give the +10% spring a try and resurrect that +1 (never enough ammo "on board"...even if its .45, right?

Thanks

Thanks

You're welcome. :wavey:

LJ

the perfesser
08-26-2010, 21:13
I always add the Wolff + 10% mag springs. The 10% refers to length. You are lengthening the mag with the +1 mag extension. It makes sense to me to the lengthen the spring as well. The stock spring was designed for a six round mag. It may work okay for a while with the stock spring, but when you start having problems switch to a Wolff +10% spring and watch those problems disappear.

Good observation: At the range I will keep an eye on the functionality of mags with +1 extension, and at the first sign of a problem implement your advice. As noted in my previous post, I will continue to use the unextended mags for concealed carry, with a +1 only as the reload.

bunk22
08-30-2010, 08:51
I've got two Pearce +1 magazines and three Pearce +0 magazines. I need the extensions as I can't stand having to fold my pinky under. Anway, I've put about 50 rounds through my 2 +1 extensions without issue. My G36 is brand new with only 250 rounds through her so I'll see how she continues to perform but I like the Wolff spring idea. It's inexpensive and worth a try I think.

va_g22
08-30-2010, 17:53
I've put 250 rounds through my two magazines with Pearce +1 extensions. No issues. Stock spring setup. However, I carry with +0.

Pecos Bill
09-02-2010, 21:46
Any issues with concealment using the longer bases? I would like to try the +1 but am afraid of a bulge from the base.?

saltydog452
09-03-2010, 08:47
Pecos,

No concealment problems. I am kinda 'squishy' around the middle though. The added length to the handle is covered with a roll of fat.

Carrying IWB, the added length helps me to grab something useful during presentation. That would not be a good time for a self-inflicted wedgie or a tee shirt display.

My main concern, other than accessability, is repeat reliability. The first round is pretty much a 'gimmie', not so with whatever is left in the mag stack.

salty

bklynpete
09-03-2010, 09:38
I've been carrying my G36 for over a year now, and have more then 1k rounds through it. I use +0 and +1 mag ext, and never had an issue with any of them (no spring change). I use a M-Tac holster and always carry with a +1 mag in it. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs, and nothing prints. This makes the G36 about a 1/2" shorter then my Kimber Pro Carry. Maybe about the same size as a Officer model 1911, but about 1/2 lb lighter then even an aluminum frame model. I carry a spare mag with a +0 ext, because it's less bulky in my pocket. I figure 14 rds of .45acp total, is fine for my retired lifestyle. When I carry my Kimber then it's a total of 17 rds.

Pecos Bill
09-06-2010, 16:45
Anyone want to recommend a place to purchase the Pierce +1's?

saltydog452
09-08-2010, 09:18
It might be polite to order from a GT sponsor.

sd.

Pecos Bill
09-19-2010, 15:31
Got my +1 extension. Thanks, I love it. No feed problems (50 rounds) so far. No spring change.