Glock 19 reloads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 reloads

November Sunrise
07-30-2010, 11:29
I am going to begin reloading for my G19 tonight,(rookie), and thought i would ask if anyone had a secret recipe that this gun likes.
I have "Titegroup" powder, 115gr FMJ's and Winchester primers to begin with on my virgin LCT.
Thanks
Andy

fredj338
07-30-2010, 11:38
You can't make a secret recipe w/ TG. Seriously, there are no magic loads for any caliber/gun. Pick a load from the avg middle data of 2 loading manuals. Load up 10rds, then 10rds +0.1gr & 10rds -0.1gr. In that 30 shot string, you are likely to find an accpetable load for anything.
My admonition on TG. IMO, TG is NOT a newb powder. Anyone recommending TG to a newb should have their reloading card pulled for 1yr. It's too fast, too small a charge volumn & finicky near the top end. I would put it on the shelf, buy a 1# can of Universal, Unique or WSF & after you have finished that (about 1400rds), then you'll have a better feel for the process & are less likely to make a mistake w/ TG, which can be catastrophic.

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2010, 11:40
You can't make a secret recipe w/ TG. Seriously, there are no magic loads for any caliber/gun. Pick a load from the avg middle data of 2 loading manuals. Load up 10rds, then 10rds +0.1gr & 10rds -0.1gr. In that 30 shot string, you are likely to find an accpetable load for anything. IMO, TG is NOT a newb powder. Anyone recommending TG to a newb should have their reloading card pulled for 1yr. It's too fast, too small a charge volumn & finicky near the top end. I would put it on the shelf, buy a 1# can of Universal, Unique or WSF & after you have finished that (about 1400rds), then you'll have a better feel for the process & are less likely to make a mistake w/ TG, which can be catastrophic.

I totally agree.. What on earth provoked you to get TG?

IGF

GioaJack
07-30-2010, 11:44
I totally agree.. What on earth provoked you to get TG?

IGF

Little Stevie sends PM's to the newbs and recommends it... along with an FCD. :whistling:

Yup... bored.

Jack

November Sunrise
07-30-2010, 13:01
Actually the guys i regularly shoot IDPA with gave me the recommendation. Is it because the charge window is so small on this type of powder that you are concerned? I have no problem considering a different type powder if it revolves around safety. Like i said...This will be my maiden voyage with the loader.

fredj338
07-30-2010, 13:53
Actually the guys i regularly shoot IDPA with gave me the recommendation. Is it because the charge window is so small on this type of powder that you are concerned? I have no problem considering a different type powder if it revolves around safety. Like i said...This will be my maiden voyage with the loader.
Yep, first mistake a newb reloader makes is asking an exp. IDPA shooter what he uses. TG is fine for guys that understand what they are working with. What I do NOT like about TG, narrow window & tiny volumn of powder per charge wt. Example, WST is only slightly slower, needs maybe 0.1gr more powder to achieve the same vel window & is 1.5x greater volumn. Important for visually verifying your powder charge. Many will tell you that it is econimcal, but you might save 1/10 of a penny over say WST for sim results. Powder is NOT where you try to save money in handgun reloads, bullets are the greatest cost. JMO, many shoot & love TG fot light bunnyfart loads, but there are many other choices for running solid midrange loads w/ sim accuarcy & cost but higher volumn charges, which IMO, makes reloading safer, especially for newbs.:supergrin:

ron59
07-30-2010, 14:25
Ignore Fred.

Just take your TG and fill 'er up until it looks good (just so bullet fits in). And you're good to go.

Okay... seriously... Please don't do this?
Listen to Fred, a good powder for a newbie to start with is a "fluffy" one, that is IMPOSSIBLE to double-charge the case with. TG is not that powder.

November Sunrise
07-30-2010, 14:30
I see there will be plenty to learn on the subject. It's a good thing i work 2 blocks from a major reloading supplier. I will be going back for an additional pound of rocket fuel. I saw Unique the last time i was there. It's the same price and comes in a taller jug. At least my wallet will believe I am getting more.
Thanks for the insight.

shotgunred
07-30-2010, 15:55
here are a few I like

4.4gr of Universal with a 124gr
4.8gr of WSF with a 124gr
5.1gr of power pistol with a 124gr
4.7gr of Unique with a 124gr

fredj338
07-30-2010, 16:20
I see there will be plenty to learn on the subject. It's a good thing i work 2 blocks from a major reloading supplier. I will be going back for an additional pound of rocket fuel. I saw Unique the last time i was there. It's the same price and comes in a taller jug. At least my wallet will believe I am getting more.
Thanks for the insight.

Diff size can, same 1#. You'll get less loads per # w/ say Unique or WSF, but greater peice of mind when you pull the trigger for the first time. If you still want to play w/ uberfast powders, then give TG a try if you must, but there are better choices IMHO.:supergrin:

Kwesi
07-30-2010, 19:12
I took my maiden voyage with WSF - worked great in G19 & full auto in CA89K. (115 gr FMJ)

FiremanMike
07-30-2010, 20:10
<shrug> when I first started loading, everyone was in a frenzy and components/powder weren't available. My first powder was tg because that's all that was available. Everyone said "you'll shoot your eye out kid" but I was just fine. I was VERY careful, checked EVERY case (still do) and I don't hesitate to pull a round or 50 if I'm not 100% sure my loads are correct.

As for my load, my m&p loved 4.2gr tg charged against 115gr fmj from precision delta with an oal of 1.14. That was a nice light load that cycled my gun just fine.

Fast forward to last week and my new gen4 glock 19 (double spring) and I had several issues with the rounds just not having enough ass to cycle the gun 100% of the time. I pushed my oal down to 1.125 and haven't had a single problem since..

Harley08
07-30-2010, 20:28
Here are some loads I use
Please work up to these
Cal - Bullet - Powder - Weight -Weapon
9mm - 115gr FMJ - Bullseye - 4.8 grs -Sig 226-UZI-MP5 Have not tryed in G19
9mm - 115gr FMJ-Accurate Arms #5 - 6.0 grs - Sig 226 - UZI - MP5 - Glock G19

Boxerglocker
07-30-2010, 20:42
OP to answer your question...using the components and powder you have.

115/124g FMJ 4.2g of TG at 1.135 is pretty much a standard load, very well documented on various sites. Particularly on competition reloading forums ala BE.com

These days, I'm personally using 4.1 TG at 1.130 with a 124 PD FMJ. A little higher velocity than my previous 4.0 loads for my G34 (1050 fps). I found that I like it to be a little snappier and with the bump in velocity it makes power factor in my G19 should I choose to use it or need to use it as a back up in a match.

CitizenOfDreams
07-30-2010, 20:58
My personal recipe is 6.0gr Unique, CCI 500, 115gr Precision Delta FMJ, 1.150".

As others said, Unique fills up the 9mm case, so it's impossible to double charge or even overcharge. Problem is, it measures like wet sand...

njl
07-31-2010, 13:19
here are a few I like

4.4gr of Universal with a 124gr

That's my 9mm target shooting load. It's pretty much minimum load for Universal and 9mm 124gr, but still easily makes minor PF and is noticeably softer shooting than 115gr factory ammo. The other nice thing about it (esp for a new reloader) is you can't double charge that load. If you try, you'll end up with powder all over the shell plate.