Which wireless camera detector should I get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which wireless camera detector should I get?

alfred10
07-30-2010, 13:53
Anyone use a wireless camera detector? Where can I get a resonably priced one that detects all possible types of wireless cameras? I see them ranging from 10 buchs to 500 and am not sure which does what I need.

kc8ykd
07-30-2010, 22:51
any frequency counter will work, but, the thing you have to remember is that wireless cameras aren't all on the same frequency bands and the bands can be shared with other non-camera devices, like wifi, cordless phones, cell phones, wireless intercoms, basically anything..

so, for example, if you're looking for a camera that's using 2.4ghz, you will probably pick up false positives caused by any near by access points or other wifi transmitters, like a laptop. or, to a certain extent, microwave ovens on that band in particular and some cordless phones.

also, you may run into wireless camera equipment that runs on a non-public use frequency band that could lie outside of the boundaries of a wireless camera detector branded device that has specific detection ranges. (something that requires an fcc license, which is fairly cheap usually, but publicly listed)

the other type of detector appears to use led's arranged in a certain pattern to cause an usual reflection off of a camera lens, which would identify wired or wireless cameras, on or off, however, it might not be effective at highlighting pinhole cameras due to the size of the lens.

I have a frequency counter myself, but i've never used it to try and find wireless cameras, i guess i'm not that paranoid myself. i use it to ensure my radio gear is calibrated right when transmitting.

the specific one i've got detects from 10mhz to 3ghz with 1khz resolution, iirc it was about $150 when i bought it about 6 or 7 years ago.

i don't know who's reputable or even if they really work, when it comes to the led based detectors, but you might find better prices if you look for "frequency counters" rather than wireless camera detectors.

MJF and Aceco both make decent hand held frequency counters, and you'll want to pick up antennas tuned to the frequency ranges you're looking for. they'll probably be separate antennas due to the wide variance in frequency bands, so you may end up sweeping a room with one, then another, then another.

also, due to the probable low transmitter power of a wireless camera (assuming it's antenna is actually near the camera itself and not located elsewhere) you'll probably need to get fairly close to the antenna/camera, say, within .5 meters to 10 meters, depending on the xmitter power and frequency band of the camera and antenna used on the detector.

Futuristic
07-31-2010, 14:04
The answers above from kc8ykd are all correct and pertinent, but I'll add my two cents: Why are you looking to detect wireless cameras?

The answer to that will tell us how much you NEED to spend to properly mitigate the threat. If you are looking to keep 'upskirt' type delinquents out of the local mall your response will be different than if you are trying to keep international industrial espionage operatives from looting Intellectual Property during a site visit.

Basically, as stated above, cameras come in many frequency ranges and power levels.

And, unless you are only worried about realtime video feeds, there are MANY modern camera offerings that support 'store and forward' where they sit, shoot peridodically, then ONLY transmit during a 'burst' period once every 15 minutes (I've seen that period as long as 24 hours...) and their wireless signals can ONLY be detected during that brief period.

How worried are you, and about what, exactly?

Futuristic

srhoades
07-31-2010, 14:49
The answers above from kc8ykd are all correct and pertinent, but I'll add my two cents: Why are you looking to detect wireless cameras?

The answer to that will tell us how much you NEED to spend to properly mitigate the threat. If you are looking to keep 'upskirt' type delinquents out of the local mall your response will be different than if you are trying to keep international industrial espionage operatives from looting Intellectual Property during a site visit.

Basically, as stated above, cameras come in many frequency ranges and power levels.

And, unless you are only worried about realtime video feeds, there are MANY modern camera offerings that support 'store and forward' where they sit, shoot peridodically, then ONLY transmit during a 'burst' period once every 15 minutes (I've seen that period as long as 24 hours...) and their wireless signals can ONLY be detected during that brief period.

How worried are you, and about what, exactly?

Futuristic

Considering his other thread was about proxy servers and getting rid of his online identity I'd say he s pretty worried.

alfred10
07-31-2010, 16:57
I want to find regular pin hole cameras. I just want to make sure there are none in an area that I think someone put them in.

I like this one.
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/sf-103.html

kc8ykd
08-01-2010, 09:23
I want to find regular pin hole cameras. I just want to make sure there are none in an area that I think someone put them in.

I like this one.
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/sf-103.html

so, 80$ for a plastic box with 6 red led's that flash and a red plastic light filter seems like a good buy?

make your own and save 70$:
http://72.52.208.92/~gbpprorg/mil/hidden_cam/index.html

i would question whether the led based 'detector' would reliably pickup pinhole cameras since some don't have any optics to reflect the blinking led's and are just board mounted ccd/cmos pickups.

an even cheaper solution using an led light and cardboard tube:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4797127_detect-hidden-camera-work.html