What is a "hard cast" bullet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is a "hard cast" bullet?

IndianaMatt
07-30-2010, 13:56
I see this adverstised sometimes. What does it mean if a bullet is "hard cast"? Thanks in advance!

vanilla_gorilla
07-30-2010, 14:32
The hardness of a lead bullet can be adjusted by adding specific alloys, or by a method of treating the cast bullet.

My "hard cast" bullets are probably considered "medium cast", since they're considerably softer than what some manufacturers produce. By using a specific alloy and dropping the bullets from the mould into cold water, I can harden the surface of the bullet more than it would normally be if left to slowly cool. These same bullets can be heated in an over to around 450 degrees, if necessary, to further harden them, if needed.

IndianaMatt
07-30-2010, 15:28
Thanks vanilla_gorilla!
So are these bullets better for any particular kind of shooting? I guess from how you described it, they'd be good for like deep penetration where large game is concerned, right?

fredj338
07-30-2010, 16:16
Lead bullets are eeither cast or swaged. Hard cast can mean anything from a bullet that is slightly harder than swaged (nearly pure lead) to a bullet that is quite hard. Tough to drive a swaged lead bullet much faster than 1000fps, hard cast, properly fit & lubed, can go to 2000fps. They also rarely expand or deform on game.