Porxy server, protecting my identity, and a forum for this? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Porxy server, protecting my identity, and a forum for this?

alfred10
07-30-2010, 14:32
I am looking for the best online forum to learn about computer related security.

What is the best sight to learn what info is avaliable online about me? How do I lower that level of info?

What proxy server should I use and what country?

What email address system hides has the least signature of info on me?

kc8ykd
07-30-2010, 23:39
I am looking for the best online forum to learn about computer related security.

google? type in what you're looking for and view returned results. you'll want to read q&a's and faq's. lots of good reading is easily available to you.

there are some great security resources available, but if what your looking for is more basic/starter knowledge, a forum or listserv might not be the best place for you. you'd probably receive lots of recommendations to use google to find answers to those questions that have been answered 100000 times already (but probably in language that is not very nice at all).

since you apparently don't have a specific area you're interested in, i'd suggest starting here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_security
and checking out the links at the bottom of the page under the headings of See Also and References, and then checking out the same areas on their respective pages.

What is the best sight to learn what info is avaliable online about me? How do I lower that level of info?

google, google yourself, and lowering what's available is entirely dependent on what's available and where it's located.

What proxy server should I use and what country?

proxy for what?

What email address system hides has the least signature of info on me?

it depends on what information you consider important, and who you're trying to conceal it from. if you're send email through a local email client, every email will show the ip address it was sent from in the email's header. (the ip address of the local router, if running nat, or local machine specifically, if it's got a real ip address)

if you're using a web based client, that information won't be present, however, i'm sure with the proper subpoena, any web based email provider would be happy to supply the requesting agency with whatever logs they have pertaining to your account and the ip addresses that have logged into it. each company only holds records like that for a certain amount of time and each company is different and nobody (to my knowledge) publicly discloses that time frame.

i am aware of some methods that terrorists have used to communicate via the internet, but i don't discuss them or do hypotheticals or other speculation with people i don't know personally.

GIockGuy24
07-31-2010, 15:38
I tried one that was Java based. It was pre-set when I tried it but usually has to be set up. I got it with a version of Linux that included it ready to go. It is available for Windows. I don't remember the exact name right now. In Java chat rooms it showed my true IP address but in forums that display my registered IP address it showed up as an IP address in China. It's not fool proof and there are ways of still finding the true IP address but it's a bit of work and somebody would have to really want to find out. Being Java based going to any websites with Java seem to show the true IP address. That's only one I tried but there are others.