.45 gap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 gap

Chas.
07-30-2010, 17:34
I have a Model 37 (.45 GAP) and I'd like to reload for it. For dies, I thought I might pick up a set of .45 ACP off ebay. My question is, can any ACP dies be used to reload GAP or must they specify ACP/GAP dies? Any help would be appreciated.

tjpet
07-30-2010, 18:11
.45ACP dies will work fine for your .45GAP.

srd
07-30-2010, 18:51
Congats on the Model 37. Go over to gun related clubs and take a look at the GAP forum. There are some loads listed there to try. Have fun !!

Uncle Don
07-30-2010, 18:58
I'm not doubting you if you are using ACP dies to load GAP, but I didn't think it would work due to the flaring die having too much distance in it for the shorter GAP case. For that matter, I thought the same thing might happen with the Seater/crimp die.

I'm using Lee and just got rid of my ACP dies and use GAP dies to load both, much like the 38 will load 357 and the 44 special will load mag. I'm assuming you have a different brand that allows this?

Jon_R
07-30-2010, 18:59
.45ACP dies will work fine for your .45GAP.

Are you sure? I reload .45 ACP and don't reload .45 GAP. When I am reloading my range brass for .45 ACP and I come across a .45 GAP mixed in I can tell immediately in the resize station. It is almost like resizing nothing so I assumed at least the sizing die is different but maybe not.

If the dies are the same then I guess I could load .45 GAP up. :)

Glocks&Ducs
07-30-2010, 19:07
When the GAP first came out, people were using 45ACP dies with no problem. What they wound up having to do is mount the locknut on the bottom side of their tool head so they could run the die down further, than would normally be achievable with the nut on top. Some people also took to machining a couple thousands off of their dies.

Now, I think everyone sells their 45ACP dies as 45GAP compatible. That is most likely because they dimensioned them to work with the GAP, and the secondary benefit is that they still work with 45ACP. I don't know exactly what they include now, but when I bought my LEE 45GAP die set, it was just a 45 ACP set with a 45Webley seating/crimping die.

MrVvrroomm
07-31-2010, 00:11
I have a Model 37 (.45 GAP) and I'd like to reload for it. For dies, I thought I might pick up a set of .45 ACP off ebay. My question is, can any ACP dies be used to reload GAP or must they specify ACP/GAP dies? Any help would be appreciated.
Chas, welcome to Glocktalk.

Here's a set of Lee .45 GAP dies for sale...in the wrong section. You should snap them up. I have no affiliation with this seller.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248414

unclebob
07-31-2010, 08:55
[QUOTE=Glocks&Ducs;15728287]When the GAP first came out, people were using 45ACP dies with no problem. What they wound up having to do is mount the locknut on the bottom side of their tool head so they could run the die down further, than would normally be achievable with the nut on top. /QUOTE]

That only works on the Dillon 650, maybe the 1050 and Square Deal press's. They well not work on the 550, single stage, or turret press's.
So unless you have one of the three above mentioned press’s you need the gap dies.

Another press would be the Co-AX that would work.