Mossberg maverick vs persuader [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg maverick vs persuader

zukyota
07-30-2010, 20:00
Which is better & why ? Thoughts on each. I can get a new persuader for $315.00 out the door. I can get the maverick for $206.00 out the door. Which is the way to go ? Gun will mainly be used for home defense, so it will not be shot alot.

TexasNativeDRJH
07-30-2010, 20:42
If you plan on keeping it original I would go with the Maverick. Ideally I would like my Mossberg to have a Maverick trigger group since I use a pistol grip stock. The Mossberg safety works best with a conventional stock. Both will get the job done

sambeaux2249
07-30-2010, 20:51
If you plan on keeping it original I would go with the Maverick. Ideally I would like my Mossberg to have a Maverick trigger group since I use a pistol grip stock. The Mossberg safety works best with a conventional stock. Both will get the job done

The main difference is the location of the safety. Mavericks have the action arms pinned to the forend, but several of the new Mossberg Persuaders do too... I happen to prefer the safety location on the Mavericks.

Sam

zukyota
07-30-2010, 21:35
The main difference is the location of the safety. Mavericks have the action arms pinned to the forend, but several of the new Mossberg Persuaders do too... I happen to prefer the safety location on the Mavericks.

Sam
pinned action arms, is this a bad thing ? is it worth 100 more dolllars for the persuader ?

sambeaux2249
07-31-2010, 02:08
pinned action arms, is this a bad thing ? is it worth 100 more dolllars for the persuader ?

I haven't heard of anyone yet complaining about problems with the pinned action arms.... It's a cost saving method. The biggest problem is that you
can't simply replace the forearm. If you want an aftermarket forearm, you'll
also have to buy an action tube. If you like the stock forearm, then it's not
a big deal. Both my Maverick and my 500 Persuader came with action bars
pinned to the forearm. I bought action tubes and forends for both of them.

Midway lists the 7-3/4 action tube at $50 and the action tube nut for $10. The 7-3/4 length is for "tactical" forends. There's a 6-3/4 action tube for $26, but it only fits "sporting" forends. Forends seem to run from about $12 to about $60, with the Hogue coming in at $20.

So... if the forend matters to you, you could spend $80 or more upgrading it. If you like the stock forend, then I wouldn't worry about it. And going with a 500 Persuader is no guarantee that you wouldn't end up in the same situation... I did.

Sam

zukyota
07-31-2010, 06:17
I haven't heard of anyone yet complaining about problems with the pinned action arms.... It's a cost saving method. The biggest problem is that you
can't simply replace the forearm. If you want an aftermarket forearm, you'll
also have to buy an action tube. If you like the stock forearm, then it's not
a big deal. Both my Maverick and my 500 Persuader came with action bars
pinned to the forearm. I bought action tubes and forends for both of them.

Midway lists the 7-3/4 action tube at $50 and the action tube nut for $10. The 7-3/4 length is for "tactical" forends. There's a 6-3/4 action tube for $26, but it only fits "sporting" forends. Forends seem to run from about $12 to about $60, with the Hogue coming in at $20.

So... if the forend matters to you, you could spend $80 or more upgrading it. If you like the stock forend, then I wouldn't worry about it. And going with a 500 Persuader is no guarantee that you wouldn't end up in the same situation... I did.

Sam
The one I'm looking at has the same foreend. Looks like I'm buying the mav. Thanks for all advise.

Aceman
07-31-2010, 07:07
Again - (as with remington also)....how much are you going to shoot this thing?

As daily weekly monthly round count starts going up I go from Maverick to 500 to 590. Not that any woin't last a long long time.

Sounds like the MAverick will work just fine for you.

TECH51
07-31-2010, 11:47
My Maverick88 has over 1,000 rounds Thru it.

krunchnik
07-31-2010, 15:52
For myself the Maverick is a fine home defense gun,seems to be well made and feels sturdy,even the forearm.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/krunchnik/IMG_1281.jpg