New wingmaster: Can anyone spot whats wrong with this picture? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New wingmaster: Can anyone spot whats wrong with this picture?

my762buzz
07-30-2010, 21:26
http://i30.tinypic.com/abqezm.jpg

aippi
07-30-2010, 22:24
You are showing an Express matte finish magazine tube with the Express retainer. Since the pictures are pasted and not one complete picuture, I don't get the point. Are you saying your wingmaster came with an Express magazine tube. If so, did this come from the Factory this way and when?

my762buzz
07-30-2010, 23:13
You are showing an Express matte finish magazine tube with the Express retainer. Since the pictures are pasted and not one complete picuture, I don't get the point. Are you saying your wingmaster came with an Express magazine tube. If so, did this come from the Factory this way and when?

Have another look.

I bought it new in the box today from a major sporting chain store. Is the forearm tube not suppose to look like that?
I always read and heard that wingmasters do not have mag tube dimples. When I got home and opened the box, I was quite shocked.
The crack in the wood was surprise enough, but the dimples really made me wonder what's going on here.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2vblp43.jpg

my762buzz
07-30-2010, 23:24
The real heart breaker. A molded extractor.

http://i31.tinypic.com/315czg9.jpg

my762buzz
07-31-2010, 01:31
Ahhhh I see the crack is normal for new stocks. See picture on the link.

Paraphrased "870 Wingmaster furniture set It came off of a new gun"

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181167987

and another

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181471152

aippi
07-31-2010, 03:02
Yes that is a MIM extractor that comes on the Express, your first pictures did not show that close enough. If you mean the split in the center of the inside of the forend, that is the way it is made so that is normal.

Call Remington Monday and find out what the heck is going on

Z71bill
08-01-2010, 22:17
The real heart breaker. A molded extractor.

http://i31.tinypic.com/315czg9.jpg

I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds through my 870 with the factory MIM extractor. Never any problem.

I figured - I might as well have a spare extractor in my parts inventory so I ordered a NON MIM one.

I compared the two side by side - expecting to see wear on the MIM part - but is exactly the same size - and shows no wear - not even on the tip that contacts the shell.

I went ahead and installed it - but would not have a problem using the MIM part.

I ordered it from Midway - since I have a C&R on file with them it was only $11 - other wise $14.79.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#138720____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

GlocksterPaulie
08-01-2010, 22:24
I would rather buy an old 870 at a GS than buy a new one today. Better steel & wood back then. The grip on the stock is much better on the older models also, the new one feels like a brick.

I have a couple from the mid 70's that are still going strong.

Paulie

Z71bill
08-02-2010, 09:45
I would rather buy an old 870 at a GS than buy a new one today. Better steel & wood back then. The grip on the stock is much better on the older models also, the new one feels like a brick.

I have a couple from the mid 70's that are still going strong.

Paulie

I know of a ~~1990 Wingmaster that is for sale - $250

The seller says he shot 1 box of shells through it - and it is in like new condition.

It is listed as 2 3/4 inch field grade - modified choke - I am assuming a fixed choke.

I was considering buying it - have not actually seen it

I was wondering if the 28 inch spare barrel I have would fit the 1990 Wingmaster. I think yes. :dunno:

My barrel is a 2 3/4 or 3 inch with Rem choke.

If I swap the barrel does that automatically allow the gun to shoot 3 inch shells?

my762buzz
08-02-2010, 14:31

If I swap the barrel does that automatically allow the gun to shoot 3 inch shells?

I tried a 870 express barrel on the my new wingmaster and it fit just fine.

I'm not really sure about using 3 inch shells with a receiver that came with a 2 3/4 only barrel. There is a warning, however, with barrels able to shoot 3 1/2 shells to not shoot 3 1/2 while they are on a non-super magnum receiver.

glock2619
08-04-2010, 07:37
I know of a ~~1990 Wingmaster that is for sale - $250

The seller says he shot 1 box of shells through it - and it is in like new condition.

It is listed as 2 3/4 inch field grade - modified choke - I am assuming a fixed choke.

I was wondering if the 28 inch spare barrel I have would fit the 1990 Wingmaster. I think yes. :dunno:

No. The ejectors are different from a MAGNUM marked receiver to a receiver that is not marked MAGNUM. However, your remchoke barrel will work just fine for 2.75" shells. If you were looking to get rid of your remchoke barrel.......:whistling:

Edit: Tough to go wrong with an old Wingmaster. Even more tough to go wrong with an old Wingmaster in almost like-new condition for $250.

my762buzz
08-04-2010, 17:09
No. The ejectors are different from a MAGNUM marked receiver to a receiver that is not marked MAGNUM. However, your remchoke barrel will work just fine for 2.75" shells. If you were looking to get rid of your remchoke barrel.......:whistling:

Edit: Tough to go wrong with an old Wingmaster. Even more tough to go wrong with an old Wingmaster in almost like-new condition for $250.

Mine came from Remington with a 3 inch chamber and no magnum on the receiver. I just cycled a few 3 inch shells and they ejected fine. I can't see a reason why it won't shoot 3 inch shells. I guess Remington may have two types of wingmaster receivers.

glock2619
08-05-2010, 08:11
Mine came from Remington with a 3 inch chamber and no magnum on the receiver. I just cycled a few 3 inch shells and they ejected fine. I can't see a reason why it won't shoot 3 inch shells. I guess Remington may have two types of wingmaster receivers.

Hmmm. I'm guessing for several years now, they have been making nothing but 3" compatible receivers (other than the super mags), negating the need to mark them magnum. But if you look at the older ones, they were specifically marked MAGNUM to be compatible with 3" chamber barrels.

I guess what I was trying to say is that if it was an older 870 with a 2.75" marked barrel and the receiver isn't marked MAGNUM, just adding a 3" chambered barrel will not make it a 3" ready gun. The ejectors WERE different between those two types of receivers-but as far as I know that was the only difference. In your case, it's a new production gun with a 3" marked chamber-it would definitely be a 3" gun.

Hauptmann6
10-19-2012, 10:47

DO IT!!!

Yes, it should interchange.

And I think so but why bother?

DJ Niner
10-20-2012, 00:53
If a 3" chambered barrel were installed, the older 2.75" receivers would usually feed and fire a 3" shell, but between the farther-forward-mounted ejector and the shorter ejection port, the fired 3" empty shell (which was about 3.5" long with the unfolded crimp sticking out the front) usually would not eject.