Man at range killed for rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man at range killed for rifle?

jack76590
07-31-2010, 00:11
Interesting case in Cumberland County, Pa. It appears man shot for his rifle at public range run by Pennsylvania State Game Commission.

I saw picture of rifle, that was missing, when they discovered victim. It is a tricked out AR. Victim is personal injury lawyer, so possible he might have enemies, but unlikely.

Presently reporting break in case. Saying police got info from range regulars about new people. Also saying tracked suspect(s) to storage shed and he was seen depositing rifle(s) in shed.

Disturbing case for person like myself, who as retiree, often goes to range during week, when no one else around.

However, I don't go to public ranges, as I am fortunate to be a member of 5 clubs each within about a half hour drive. And most of the ranges have a locked gate, so difficult for bad guys to keep vehicle close by for get away.

I know - I am supposed to have a question. Beyond sticking with private club ranges, what would you advise in the way of "safety measures." I know I could go on weekend, when others there, but I enjoy having the range to myself at times. One of nice features of being retired.

I seem to remember the guys involved in the FBI shooting used to go to public range or maybe it was informal ranges to steal guns. Platt and Maddox, as I recall were their names.

Mas Ayoob
07-31-2010, 09:29
Platt & Matix did their thing at informal "public shooting areas." They were known to go to a supervised public range occasionally, but only to shoot.

Willie Sutton said he robbed banks "because that's where the money is." Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that homicidal gun thieves might "go where the guns are."

I think it's always a good idea to practice the buddy system, and to keep one loaded concealed handgun readily accessible at all times at the range.

best,
Mas

jack76590
07-31-2010, 14:37
Some breaking news. Two suspects arrested, both prison guards/correction officers.

Rifle was AR in 308 with silencer. Two other stolen rifles found with suspects.

This may have been an ambush style shooting from a distance. Naturally, police are keeping a lid on details.