Boot problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem

Kyle1886
07-31-2010, 07:39
The problem:
On boot, the system starts up, goes through it's normal routine up to and including displaying the desktop however nothing is operable, including mouse and keyboard. At this point I have to "reset" and reboot. There are no errors recorded in the event viewer in "Applications" or "System". However in the "System" section, the only things that loaded are "nvata" (4) which are "device identified" but none of the normal (13) "Service Control Manager" modules.
--
Sequence as follows:
Boot; Boot sequence screens normal.
Normal desktop, and virus checker does online check for updates. (I can see the router/modem activity so I assume that as well as a balloon notifying of update). Then no response from mouse/keyboard.

Thinking that it may be the virus checker interfering, I disabled it temporarily but it didn't appear to make any difference. (I've been using the same virus checker for over a year and no issues on boot prior). Not Norton's.
--
System:
Windows XP Pro
Motherboard: A8N-SLi
2g ram

Any ideas.
Thank you.

Kyle

Sgt. Schultz
07-31-2010, 08:06
Can you boot into safe mode?
Have you added any new hardware or software recently?

Kyle1886
07-31-2010, 08:49
Sgt. S, No I have not added any new software/hardware in a long time. Last hardware was to replace a bad secondary drive back in Jan. Yes I can boot into "safe mode" once I do a reset.

Thanks.

Sgt. Schultz
07-31-2010, 09:02
Sgt. S, No I have not added any new software/hardware in a long time. Last hardware was to replace a bad secondary drive back in Jan. Yes I can boot into "safe mode" once I do a reset.

Thanks.Do the KB and mouse work in safe mode?

Kyle1886
07-31-2010, 09:51
Yes, they both work in the safe mode. (Mouse does not work in the "command line" mode, (DOS mode to me) but that is normal I think)

Usually the first thing that loads after the "nvata=device identified" is "terminal services" then "Fast User Switching Compatibility", Imapi-CD, Network Location Awarness, SSDP (I think that is the P&P), Telephony and Remote Access.
Of course each one of those is listed as "sent controlled start/Running.

When it hangs there is nothing posted after the "nvata=device identified. It's as if it "forgets" what to do after the hardware is identified.

I do appreciate your assistance.

Thank you

Sgt. Schultz
07-31-2010, 09:58
Looks like your problem revolves around "nvata=device identified" ... your video card, try updating to the latest drivers.

Kyle1886
07-31-2010, 10:34
Okay, will try that, though the last time I checked it was current, but will check again. Actually on boot there always has been 4 "nvata=device identified" listings so I'm not sure what devices are being identified at the beginning of the initial boot. I'll try the Nvidia GeForce 7600GT driver as you suggest.

Thanks-Kyle

Sgt. Schultz
07-31-2010, 10:51
Okay, will try that, though the last time I checked it was current, but will check again. Actually on boot there always has been 4 "nvata=device identified" listings so I'm not sure what devices are being identified at the beginning of the initial boot. I'll try the Nvidia GeForce 7600GT driver as you suggest.

Thanks-Kyle
It could be a corrupt driver (or a bad card), try uninstalling and then reinstalling it.