9mm primers not decapping all the way [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm primers not decapping all the way

G36_Me
07-31-2010, 07:43
Question for you.
My RCBS die doesn't "pop out" the primer when decapping / depriming my 9mm brass. I frequently have to run the brass up into the sizing die several times to get the primer to come out. Usually rotate the brass one or two times in the process. A real pain in the butt.

Any ideas? I've checked all the things I can think of. Do I need to buy another die and see if things improve?

edit: by the way, I've done thousands of rounds and they all shoot fine after this initial hassle. Also, I'm using a regular old singe stage press.

Olivers_AR
07-31-2010, 07:52
I would investigate the decapper pin first, might take some of the point off it, is the decapper pin piercing the primer and/or military crimp?

If that doesn't work, maybe buy a new pin before you buy a new die?

unclebob
07-31-2010, 07:56
If you are sure you have checked everything? Try replacing your decapping pin. You might have a small bur on the pin that is holding onto the primer and drawing the primer back in when you raise the handle.

unclebob
07-31-2010, 08:00
Another trick you can try is find a used needle bearing and replace your RCBC decapping pin with one of the needle bearings of the same size. They seam too work a lot better than the RCBS pins.

WiskyT
07-31-2010, 08:16
Don't buy any pins, RCBS will give you all you want for the price of a free call. There could easily be a problem with the pin that is so small you can't see it. On my old RCBS 38 dies, the height of the pin can be adjusted. I don't know if yours is like that, but I'd make sure the pin is as far down as it can go.

Is this some type of military brass? Some milsurp stuff might have an asphalt sealer around the primer.

GioaJack
07-31-2010, 08:28
Are you by chance using the sizing die on a progressive press? If so, RCBS decapping pins tend to have a habit of hanging onto the spent primer and drawing it up back into the pocket when you lower the ram.

To solve this problem RCBS markets a spring loaded decapping rod that replaces the original one that, (pretty much a copy of the Dillon system) solves the problem. They run about 8 bucks from Midway. You can use just one rod in all of your dies or get one for each die.

Jack

dudel
07-31-2010, 10:21
Are you by chance using the sizing die on a progressive press? If so, RCBS decapping pins tend to have a habit of hanging onto the spent primer and drawing it up back into the pocket when you lower the ram.

To solve this problem RCBS markets a spring loaded decapping rod that replaces the original one that, (pretty much a copy of the Dillon system) solves the problem. They run about 8 bucks from Midway. You can use just one rod in all of your dies or get one for each die.

Jack

+1 also adjust the decapping rod down a bit further.

Cobra64
07-31-2010, 15:53
If you are sure you have checked everything? Try replacing your decapping pin. You might have a small bur on the pin that is holding onto the primer and drawing the primer back in when you raise the handle.

That seemed to be the cause on my Hornady decapping pin. I polished the sides of the pin smooth, and the condition improved considerably, but still happens occasionally.

G36_Me
07-31-2010, 21:49
I'll check if the decapping pin can be pulled out or lengthened.
I'll also order a couple new ones.
I am using range brass I shoot and pick up. Having more issues with Federal brass than other brass.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back.

PCJim
07-31-2010, 21:56
Is that Federal brass "NT" brass? I've noticed in my reloading of 40S&W RPU brass that the Federal NT appears to have crimped primers.

G36_Me
08-02-2010, 15:48
Is that Federal brass "NT" brass? I've noticed in my reloading of 40S&W RPU brass that the Federal NT appears to have crimped primers.

No, it is regular F.C. brass, so that is not it. I just recycle any brass that is crimped, don't even try to clean it up and use it. I'm getting my 9mm brass off the indoor range floor, so I'm lucky, no scarcity issues.

G36_Me
08-02-2010, 20:37
I really paid attention to my FC brass tonight.
The FC popped the primers with no issues.
The brass marked *FC* was 100% of the issue.

I think they are all Federal, but after going through all 9 pages of the 'brass to reload' sticky thread, the *FC* is not listed or discussed.

The *FC* has the decapping problem, but works fine when I prime it. The regular FC brass is beautiful. The *FC* brass has a bit of a concave.

Thoughts on this?

unclebob
08-02-2010, 20:55
Run your decapping rod all the way down if you can until the nut that hold the decapping pin hit the web of the case then back it off one or two turns. Or as far down as you can get it.
Or like I said try and get some needle bearing that are the same size as the decapping pin, Or you could find a hard nail and cut it a little bit longer than the RCBS decapping pins. They might not last very long though.
One of the biggest issues I had with the RCBS dies and why I quit using them, where the decapping assembly. Either the rod or the pins.
I just donít remember having the problems that you are having. But then that has been well over 20 + years ago.

DoctaGlockta
08-03-2010, 08:22
Never have problems with my Lee decap/resize die. They are reasonably priced. You may want to get one. I even have de-capped berdan primed cases with them and punched out a new flash hole. No bending or breakage of the pin.

Colorado4Wheel
08-03-2010, 12:55
Preach it brother.