Hornady Critical Defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Critical Defense

Jim S.
07-31-2010, 10:27
I see that they finally came out with "Critical Defense" for the 45's.
I hesitate to buy it because it is just one of many new miracle rounds that are filling the market.
I go on the web sites and of course the manufacturer makes all kinds of fantastic claims about their great new product.
I even look at the gun magazine reviews on line and end up wondering how much is fact and how much is "these guys pay your bills" type of review.
It seems to me like there are a lot of great new rounds out there but until they are actually used and survive a few years I hesitate to take them very seriously.
Any one have any input on the Hornady Critical Defense?
They sound like a good round for finicky feeders like some of the older 1911's.
They sound like a good round for times when people wear heavy clothing.
They sound like all the other new fangled rounds that are coming out and I am wondering if they are actually good or just more hype.

AZBru88
07-31-2010, 11:54
Jim I'm old school still shooting XTP's in my 9's and 10mm. Have been trying to find a good source for CD in 9mm just to give it a good try. I've found some...big $$ so I'll wait for them to get caught up and ahead of the game. Hopefully the sellers won't be price gouging as much! Can't wait to hear what people think of it.

datnvan
07-31-2010, 12:06
this was the round i chose for my carry 9mm and .380. i read the same articles you read and watched many youtubes on ppl's own ballistics testing in various mediums and obstructions. i was satisfied. just like other premium SD rounds its got low flash and light recoil and feeds reliably. not saying its the best SD round out there, but for short barrel ccw it might be one of the best for reliable expansion. similar round is the corbon powr ball but it tends to fragment. one round that everybody is nuts over the the corbon DPX. it looks awesome but very expensive. i generally put a couple hundred round of my SD ammo to make sure its reliable thru my guns before i start carrying.

8th SPS USAF
07-31-2010, 12:33
I saw the 9 and I think 38 spec on one of the shooting shows. They

shot water jugs and seemed to work well. I called a place that had the 45acp

in their ad and this was about 3 wks after they came out. I bought 3 boxes,

I have not tried them out yet. Called back for 9mm and they were out.

8th

Berto
07-31-2010, 21:27
Hornady always makes a solid accurate load in my experience, but I don't care for light-for-caliber bullets in the .38sp, so I wouldn't chose it in that case or any expanding bullet in a small .380.
In 9mm or larger, they may be solid loads.

rome2240sw
07-31-2010, 22:08
I too my friend wonder about this round as well. The only thing that gets me is how narow it is in the front of the bullet compared to Gold Dots and HSTs. Though i havent seen any personal test i have found few videos of backyard ballistic tests using the Hornady CD.

Anyone use it in 40 165? is it worth $1 a round? because it goes for 19.99 and the tap goes for 16.99

cosmose
07-31-2010, 22:10
i tested the 38 and 380 in water jugs and i was impressed, i wished the 45 was at least 200gr but i'll probably give it a try:)

shotgunred
07-31-2010, 22:13
I would like to try some but they are a bit pricey.

H&K 4 LIFE
08-01-2010, 06:06
In my experience the Critical Defense is a decent round, pretty darn accurate.

However, both of the loadings I have tried (9mm and .38+P) are pretty "watered down". They seem good for someone who is recoil shy, but personally for SD I want something hotter. :)

DonGlock26
08-01-2010, 06:20
I'm sticking with RangerT, HST, and GD. I think GD is the best deal going in defensive ammunition.

DRT
08-01-2010, 08:08
Just get yourself some HST or Ranger T series in 50round boxes. Cheaper and better.

cowboy1964
08-01-2010, 11:51
I'm sticking to the top-tier stuff (Gold Dots, HSTs, Rangers) for ammo just like I'm sticking to the top-tier for guns (Glock, H&K, S&W, Sig).

fredj338
08-01-2010, 12:07
Just get yourself some HST or Ranger T series in 50round boxes. Cheaper and better.

Good advice. If the made the HCD in 200gr I would look into it for my smaller 45s. I'm happy w/ just about anything int he 45acp though, even ball would work, but not my choice.

Deputydave
08-30-2010, 20:09
In my experience the Critical Defense is a decent round, pretty darn accurate.

However, both of the loadings I have tried (9mm and .38+P) are pretty "watered down". They seem good for someone who is recoil shy, but personally for SD I want something hotter. :)

The same might be said of the .357 magnum round. It is listed as 125grn at 1500 fps...but out of an 8inch vented barrel.

DocKWL
08-31-2010, 03:43
http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm