Two Piece Guide Rod? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two Piece Guide Rod?

pitt1011
07-31-2010, 11:43
I'm still new to the world of 1911s so I'm looking for a little information about something I heard about yesterday. I was at the range the other day and one of the shooters down the line from me was shooting a Les Baer he had set up for Bullseye shooting. We got to talking and he brought up that he had a 2 piece guide rod in his pistol and he had it installed to prevent galling on the outside of his barrel. He basically said a gunsmith he uses advised him to use it because using a bushing wrench with a one piece full length guide rod eventually causes gallling or wear on the outside of the barrel that locks up with the bushing. This eventually would cause a degrading of the suface of the barrel which would affect lock up which would in turn affect accuracy.

I never heard of this before so I figured I would ask some more experienced 1911 hands if they've heard/seen/believed this. Don't want this thread to turn into a FLGR vs GI length as it seems there isn't much consensus on this. As always, any info is appreciated

CMG
07-31-2010, 14:39
Complete and utter non-sense.

Even if you were concerned with galling, the bushing has to be rotated to free the plug and remove the barrel, regardless what style guide-rod you use.

rsxr22
07-31-2010, 14:42
sounds like gun shop employee talk to me. "What i have is the best and nothing else is right"
Completely wrong

Quack
07-31-2010, 15:04
if you believe that, i have a bridge to sell you ;)

Infallible
07-31-2010, 16:09

I'm looking for one in the Brooklyn area of New York, is this still available?

Quack
07-31-2010, 16:31
Sorry, that one is under contract right now. The only bridge that I have available is in California.

pitt1011
07-31-2010, 18:26

Ha!, figured it didn't sound right. I couldn't see how rotating the bushing is some how less violent than the recoiling of the slide during normal firing. Thanks for all the input.

bac1023
07-31-2010, 19:26

I'm looking for one in the Brooklyn area of New York, is this still available?

Sorry, that one is under contract right now. The only bridge that I have available is in California.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bac1023
07-31-2010, 19:27
That's totally false.