Got a new 1911....but then I didn't :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a new 1911....but then I didn't :(

Magus
07-31-2010, 16:58
Long story short, I went by my local dealer this morning and he had a Springer GI in stock. Nothing special, but I've been wanting one and the price was right and he was willing to take a Glock I've been looking to unload in trade.

Didn't have the Glock with me at the time...wasn't expecting to get a gun today. Came back late in the day, about an hour before closing time...my fault there.

Anyway, I always get delayed on my background checks...don't know why...ever since the NICS system went into place...I get delayed. Usually get approved in 30 minutes to an hour. Things ran too long this afternoon and my dealer was nice enough to wait a little past closing but I was still delayed at closing, so now I have to wait until Monday to go pick it up.

Not a huge deal, but I was hoping to take it out shooting on Sunday. Should've got there an hour earlier. The problem I'm going to wager was there's a huge gun show in the area today and I'm sure the folks doing background checks got backlogged.

At any rate, it's all paid for and everything...and adds to my growing 1911 collection. :supergrin: I'll get some pics up Monday when I pick it up.

ctfireman
07-31-2010, 17:21
Good choice, i may be getting one tomorrow. maybe a bodyguard 380 also!

Magus
07-31-2010, 17:34
Yeah, I like it a lot for what it is. I've got another Springer and a Colt as well.

I've had quite a few 1911's over the year and wish I still had the majority of them.

Just wish my dealer was open on Sunday's so I could pick it up tomorrow, but the guy needs at least one day off a week. I guarantee I probably got approved the moment they locked the door and we all walked outside, that's how it usually works for me on approvals. Several times I've had my dealer literally running out to my car the moment I've gotten into it to hand me my gun because the approval just came in...lol!

rsxr22
07-31-2010, 17:57
that sucks man! I personally have never been delayed, but my buddy got delayed every time we went and he was really lazy about getting his carry permit. I finally took him down to the probate court to apply and get it and now he can just walk in and say gimme that one and pay and leave

faawrenchbndr
07-31-2010, 18:18
Wow,....that really SUX!

CMG
07-31-2010, 22:26
Bummer!

My Texas CHL exempts me from the NICS check, thank goodness! :cool:

glockfan9
07-31-2010, 22:36
Ya it stinks, last weekend i was sitting around waiting for my RIA. Ordered tues, supposed to be there on friday but had to wait till monday! Dont worry the weekend is halfway over lol. And congrats

drider
07-31-2010, 23:47
Reading this makes me laugh, well I have to wait ten days if that makes you all feel better, for waiting 30-1 hour!

samuse
08-01-2010, 00:04
Congrats on the Springer.:wavey:

BlayGlock
08-01-2010, 08:15
Sorry about that man. We all know how hard it is to wait on a new 1911.

Magus
08-01-2010, 08:19
Reading this makes me laugh, well I have to wait ten days if that makes you all feel better, for waiting 30-1 hour!

That's insane. I'd have to move to another state.

oldman101946
08-01-2010, 09:52
I had a 1911 built and shipped to my FFL dealer. Went to pick it up and was told the Feds placed a 10 day hold on it. Neither the FFL dealer or I had heard of such. I buy many guns each year and have been delayed a day at the most. The more I thought about it, the madder I got so I went back to the dealer the next day and mentioned that a three day wait was all he could do by law. He then informed me that the Feds had called him just at closing the day before and approved my taking delivery of the gun.

Now if we could just buy handguns across statelines without needing to be a FFL dealer.

smokeeater495
08-01-2010, 18:10
You should consider getting a UPIN number from NICS. I too had the same delay problem. There was someone in my state with a similar name that always got me delayed. With a UPIN, the transferring FFL gives them your UPIN number, and no delay. Don't be suprised if the FFL gets transferred to a supervisor for final approval, the call takers cant process a UPIN.

ctfireman
08-01-2010, 19:13
I got mine today, she's a beauty!

Jim S.
08-02-2010, 07:08
Today is the day. Yeah. Let us know what ya think.
Hopefully you get to shoot her today too.
Always a good day when you get a new gun.

Magus
08-02-2010, 08:47
Today is the day. Yeah. Let us know what ya think.
Hopefully you get to shoot her today too.
Always a good day when you get a new gun.

Yeah, and I can't wait. Going to pick it up after work today. Gonna call ahead just to make sure the approval went through, which it should have by now...I'm sure it got approved sometime Saturday probably.

This one is pretty much going to stay stock. I'll probably polish the chamber hood purely just for the sake of looks. It ends up getting pretty scuffed up looking with the black finish on it from the ones I've seen, so I figure I'll just go ahead and get it over with.

Other than some different grips, I'm going to fight my compulsion to "upgrade" it.

CMG
08-02-2010, 09:25
My new to me, Colt Commander is "out for delivery" by USPS.

That means I have a date for tomorrow morning! :cool:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/179746000/179746106/pix1292751937.jpg

Jim S.
08-02-2010, 14:14
This one is pretty much going to stay stock.
I'm going to fight my compulsion to "upgrade" it.

I think that of all the 1911's I would keep stock out of the box it would be the Springer G.I. model.
I like the fact that it is a bare bones base model. The way they all used to be.

Magus
08-02-2010, 14:23
I think that of all the 1911's I would keep stock out of the box it would be the Springer G.I. model.
I like the fact that it is a bare bones base model. The way they all used to be.

Same here, I like my 1911's pretty basic. I've got a Springer Mil Spec that I did some very light mods to. Colt series 70 as well that got some minor parts replaced.

I like keeping the simple clean look to them.

Called the dealer about 20 minutes ago and of course...I'm approved. Get to pick it up in about an hour.

ctfireman
08-02-2010, 16:18
I wanted the GI for that exact reason. I wanted one just like the original but didn't wanna spend double the money on the colt wwI replica. I have a few other 1911's with all the modern jazz on them. The old school is nice.

Magus
08-02-2010, 17:58
Finally got it a couple hours ago. Pretty pleased. Probably one of the best builds of the GI model I've seen. Probably better put together than my Springer Mil Spec was out of the box. That might not be saying much since they're not that different, but it's funny how the quality can vary.

I've got dozens of grips and I'm trying to choose something simple and suitable for it. The grips that came on it are a dark walnut and actually look pretty nice, a lot darker than the "U.S." stock grip I've seen on most GI's. Honestly, I'd probably leave em' on, but the "U.S." rollmark on the grips I find to be a tad on the cheesy side. I don't know, we'll see what looks/feels best to me.

Definitely going to polish the chamber hood. It's pretty fugly. Just after racking the slide a few times the "finish" is already wearing off. Whatever this black crap it...it's gotta go. It's not parkerized like the rest of the barrel. Which makes sense...it's a two piece barrel. Anyway, it appears to be some sort of spray on black coating on the chamber. I understand they were trying to make it look "authentic" but it's just gnarly lookin' to me.

Once I get the chamber hood polished and some better grips on it, I'll get a pic up....she's not ready for her close up yet...lol! Besides, if you've seen one out of box GI you've seen them all.

Decently built 1911 for the price. I know it's chock full of MIM, even at that though...truly not bad. Hope to shoot it later this week.

majette
08-02-2010, 19:55
where are you in va?