your thoughts on the saiga 12 g [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on the saiga 12 g

dc2integra
07-31-2010, 17:57
ive been tempeted to sell my mossberg 500 tactical and pick up a saiga 12g .are they realiable guns i have heard they tend to jam anyone own one ?your thoughts o the gun would be apreciated

method
07-31-2010, 19:47
They have an adjustable gas regulator, one setting for birdshot, the other for buck and slug. I keep mine set for buck and slug, which will cause hangups at times with birdshot, but it's not really an issue.

If you get one, it's an absolute must, in my opinion at least, that you do a proper pistol grip conversion. When I say proper, I mean where the trigger is moved back where it belongs, and the pistol grip is installed where it belongs. This solves the two biggest flaws with the gun the way it comes, a lousy trigger, and poor balance. The pistol grip stocks that bolt right on without modifications don't fix those flaws. Figure about $150+ for a conversion, depending on the parts you choose and whether you do the work or pay someone else to do it.

I love mine.

http://a.imageshack.us/img67/2350/dscn0711rn7.jpg

dc2integra
07-31-2010, 20:04
thats one crazy looking saiga.i live in california though if i get a pistol grip i wont be able to have a detachable mag.Also dont they come with a 5 rd mag?

method
07-31-2010, 22:02
Ewww, I'd honestly skip it then. Yes they come with a 5 round magazine, that's a 2 round magazine.

dc2integra
07-31-2010, 22:10
wat do u mean it only fits 2 rounds

method
08-01-2010, 05:01
It's a factory 2 round magazine, allows the gun to be legal for hunting migratory birds. Not that I'd use it for such, just got it because it's fairly rare, and it was available. I've got the factory 5 rd and plenty of AGP 10 rd mags also.

dc2integra
08-01-2010, 14:19
okay thanks. i take it there isnt to many saiga owners

space_weazel
08-01-2010, 20:18
There are lots of Saiga owners, perhaps you should swing over to the saiga-12.com/forum

Heres mine with 20 round drum, to bad you live in cali
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii143/space_weazel/Guns/IMG_0743.jpg

dc2integra
08-01-2010, 21:39
yea i know it sucks but as long as we have a bullet button on it were good to go

jokeruh
08-01-2010, 21:45
Javelin has the best Saiga - bar none:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=258&pictureid=1162

I think he paid north of $2500 for it to look like this

DaGroaner
08-03-2010, 16:20
Both of mine are 100% reliable. So is my unconverted 20 GA.

Tacomatose
08-03-2010, 23:22
I LOVE the Saiga 12s. I personally have 7 S12s in my collection, and I have built a bunch of them for customers. You can check out some of our videos on our website if you would like to see them running. Just keep in mind that most S12 are not "one setting guns" meaning that you should adjust the gas setting depending on what load you are using. Heavy loads use less gas assist, and the lighter loads need the higher gas setting to cycle properly. I have quite a few local customers that are running them in 3 gun matches and they love them. You can get the bullet buttons installed for Cali compliance too.

Let me know if you have any other questions. B

reload796
08-04-2010, 01:22
If you love your saiga then you should love the Wrath Maker 20 round drum. I find these work much better of some of the others that are out there.

space_weazel
08-05-2010, 01:13
If you love your saiga then you should love the Wrath Maker 20 round drum. I find these work much better of some of the others that are out there.

You mean the drum from the company who have repeatedly failed to make a reliable drum, then blame the owners gun, stating that they need to send in their gun to have it "tuned" to the drum, all the while being dicks about it and spreading miss information.

Unlike that "other" drum which has an owner who has been a part of the community and message board and who has unfailingly stood behind his product which has be reliable in thousands of guns without needing to be "tuned"......

Just saying....

Foxtrotx1
08-05-2010, 01:25
Javelin has the best Saiga - bar none:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=258&pictureid=1162

I think he paid north of $2500 for it to look like this

Ugly IMHO. I like the the Russian military look better. skeleton Folding stock, no rails.

Foxtrotx1
08-05-2010, 01:27
I LOVE the Saiga 12s. I personally have 7 S12s in my collection, and I have built a bunch of them for customers. You can check out some of our videos on our website if you would like to see them running. Just keep in mind that most S12 are not "one setting guns" meaning that you should adjust the gas setting depending on what load you are using. Heavy loads use less gas assist, and the lighter loads need the higher gas setting to cycle properly. I have quite a few local customers that are running them in 3 gun matches and they love them. You can get the bullet buttons installed for Cali compliance too.

Let me know if you have any other questions. B

If i buy a stock saiga 12, how much is it to have the conversion done?

bigdough666
08-05-2010, 07:19
Mine has been 100% reliable from day one. I absolutely LOVE mine and it turns a lot of heads at the range. Check out the saiga 12 forums, lots of info over there.

I would also like to know what you charge for conversion, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

WoodenPlank
08-08-2010, 12:00
If i buy a stock saiga 12, how much is it to have the conversion done?

I am curious about this, myself. I have always kinda like the Saiga, but I do not like the typical import stock and trigger placement, and wouldnt feel comfortable doing the trigger relocation and grip install.

Glocker08
08-08-2010, 12:27
There are lots of Saiga owners, perhaps you should swing over to the saiga-12.com/forum

Heres mine with 20 round drum, to bad you live in cali
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii143/space_weazel/Guns/IMG_0743.jpg

Sweet ! :cool: I like how you kept it simple.

What kind of side folder is that ? Does it handle the recoil pretty well ?

jamaicanj
08-08-2010, 20:00
I fired a saiga 12 at the range yesterday. I asked the owner about the conversion and he said that it took a few hours to swap out the parts that totaled around $250. It was flawless using the surefire mags.

space_weazel
08-09-2010, 20:04
Sweet ! :cool: I like how you kept it simple.

What kind of side folder is that ? Does it handle the recoil pretty well ?

That's an ACE stock and folding mechanism, the ACE stock was to short, it has the Tromix stock on it now, which I find to be to long, so I have been looking at getting a folding collapsing unit such as a Magpul MOE, on the ACE integrated block.

M1A Shooter
08-09-2010, 20:32
shot one for the first time the other day. it was a standard, non converted one but it was pretty cool. ive contemplated getting one with a couple other saigas for simplicity of use, same manual of arms etc.

ia lso shot both versions of the .308 and it was pretty nice. like the looks of them setup like a dragunov as well.

HoldHard
08-10-2010, 08:42
Found it for sale on the Saiga forum and had it shipped in from Oregon. Will be using it in this weekend's 3-gun match.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3588/img0257q.jpg

Additional pictures at this link (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=56456&st=0&p=535171&hl=HoldHard&fromsearch=1&#entry535171).

HH

Spanky4888
08-11-2010, 20:50
I usually dont comment on these things but had to here.....the wraithmaker is a piece of junk. If your going to get a drum for a saiga 12 the MD Arms drum is the way to go. I have 5 for my saiga 12 and all fit perfect with no wiggle or rocking, and they all run flawless. Some people MAY be able to get a wraithmaker to work, but most will have to do substantial modifications to get the gun to run well. Dont get me wrong, the wraithmaker looks awesome, I love how it looks, but I need my drums to run smooth without having to do a bunch of BS to my gun..Dont take my word for it, a simple search will back-up what I have said here. Try the saiga 12 forum, ask about the drum options.

HoldHard......great looking S12, good to see the md20 drum also