Mainspring housings for morons [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mainspring housings for morons

Keoking
07-31-2010, 18:35
I have a Springfield Loaded with the grittiest, heaviest trigger I have felt this side of a revolver. I bought it pre-owned and don't know if it a victim of amateur gunsmithing. First things first, I need to get rid of the ILS.

If I buy a mainspring housing from Smith&Alexander or Brownells, will it be empty or does it come with the internals? Internals are mainspring, MS cap, MS cap retaining pin, right? If I get a new MSH, do I need to buy a MS that is specified for a Springfield, or will any standard MS work once I have the new MSH? My Springfield manual says 28# spring in the ILS. Non-ILS replacement should be 23#?
Also, my Loaded has a magwell that appears to be attached to the bottom of the mainspring housing by an allen head bolt. Will a replacement MSH come with the hole to accept this bolt, or is this a non-standard thing?

rsxr22
07-31-2010, 18:48
Buy a S&A MSH. It is a one piece MSH and magwell compared to the 2 piece ones(they can come loose). The MSH will come w/o internals, so youll have to order them. You can get everything from brownells or any other 1911 store as well. I chose to get all my parts from Ed Brown. Get EB's 19lb mainspring. That is the only one they sell to my knowledge and it works awesome. This will help your trigger a little but i would still have a competent smith work on it.

rsxr22
07-31-2010, 18:50
I have a Springfield Loaded with the grittiest, heaviest trigger I have felt this side of a revolver. I bought it pre-owned and don't know if it a victim of amateur gunsmithing. First things first, I need to get rid of the ILS.

If I buy a mainspring housing from Smith&Alexander or Brownells, will it be empty or does it come with the internals? Internals are mainspring, MS cap, MS cap retaining pin, right? If I get a new MSH, do I need to buy a MS that is specified for a Springfield, or will any standard MS work once I have the new MSH? My Springfield manual says 28# spring in the ILS. Non-ILS replacement should be 23#?
Also, my Loaded has a magwell that appears to be attached to the bottom of the mainspring housing by an allen head bolt. Will a replacement MSH come with the hole to accept this bolt, or is this a non-standard thing?
On top of the parts you listed, you will also need the mainspring and the pin that holds everything down inside the MSH( i cannot recall the pins name)

Keoking
07-31-2010, 20:37
Buy a S&A MSH. It is a one piece MSH and magwell compared to the 2 piece ones(they can come loose). The MSH will come w/o internals, so youll have to order them. You can get everything from brownells or any other 1911 store as well. I chose to get all my parts from Ed Brown. Get EB's 19lb mainspring. That is the only one they sell to my knowledge and it works awesome. This will help your trigger a little but i would still have a competent smith work on it.

I really like the magwell I have now. Will a S&A MSH have the hole to bolt my magwell on? I've searched all over and can't find any images of the bottom of 1911s.

Black Cloud
07-31-2010, 20:47
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12740/Product/1911_AUTO_MAINSPRING_HOUSING

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16533/Product/1911_AUTO_HAMMER_SPRING
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1313/Product/1911_AUTO_COMPETITION_MAINSPRING

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27211/Product/1911_AUTO_COMPLETE_PIN_SET (w/ extras)

From my experience you will need to use a punch to clean out the burs inside the mainspring housing pin hole. Just use a punch of appropriate size and break the burs off. It isnít anything major.:supergrin:

Black Cloud
07-31-2010, 21:00
I apologize you said magwell.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24732/Product/SLIM_LINE_MAG_GUIDE

Quack
07-31-2010, 21:21

If I buy a mainspring housing from Smith&Alexander or Brownells, will it be empty or does it come with the internals?
empty

Internals are mainspring, MS cap, MS cap retaining pin, right?
correct

If I get a new MSH, do I need to buy a MS that is specified for a Springfield, or will any standard MS work once I have the new MSH?
make sure it's the correct size, either government or officer size

My Springfield manual says 28# spring in the ILS. Non-ILS replacement should be 23#?
i prefer the 19# Ed Brown springs

remove the complete MSH with the bolt on magwell

see above

Quack
07-31-2010, 21:22
I really like the magwell I have now. Will a S&A MSH have the hole to bolt my magwell on?

no...

rsxr22
07-31-2010, 21:54
The magwell is going to be very similar to the one that came on the Springer. That is the main advantage, selling point of the S&A is that its a one piece. When you have 2 pieces the screw can come loose and the magwell can shift on you.

samuse
08-01-2010, 08:21
Wollf shows a 30lb spring as factory weight for a Springfield with ILS.

I think S.A. uses a lightweight 38 super firing pin, so I'm not sure if a 19lb hammer spring combined with a lightened hammer and firing pin would be reliable.

Colt uses a 23lb hammer spring and a 16lb recoil spring.

Look at the stickies in the Springfield section on 1911forum, they have a how-to get rid of the ILS.

Keoking
08-01-2010, 08:26
Alright, I'm sold.
One piece S&A MSH w/ magwell
Ed Brown 19# mainspring
MS cap and MS cap retaining pin in C&S complete pin set.

Thanks to everyone for getting me on the right track.

Quack
08-01-2010, 09:03
Wollf shows a 30lb spring as factory weight for a Springfield with ILS.

I think S.A. uses a lightweight 38 super firing pin, so I'm not sure if a 19lb hammer spring combined with a lightened hammer and firing pin would be reliable.

i've been running the 19# MS with the C&S SuperMatch hammer and Ti Firing pin w/o any problems.

FLIPPER 348
08-01-2010, 09:24
Wow, after reading this thread I'm glad I stick to spec parts for my builds!!

best of luck with your MSH swap

rsxr22
08-01-2010, 14:56
Alright, I'm sold.
One piece S&A MSH w/ magwell
Ed Brown 19# mainspring
MS cap and MS cap retaining pin in C&S complete pin set.

Thanks to everyone for getting me on the right track.

Exactly what you need! If possible just put in one order from Brownell's to save on shipping.

Black Cloud
08-01-2010, 15:17
Wow, after reading this thread I'm glad I stick to spec parts for my builds!!

best of luck with your MSH swap

The only think I change is the recoil spring to 18 - 18.5 lbs.

rsxr22
08-01-2010, 16:37
The only think I change is the recoil spring to 18 - 18.5 lbs.

Ya but in order to change the mainspring, you have to remove all of the ILS stuff.

samuse
08-01-2010, 21:29
i've been running the 19# MS with the C&S SuperMatch hammer and Ti Firing pin w/o any problems.

Sounds like the makins' for a "hair trigger"!:cool:

Quack
08-01-2010, 22:01
Sounds like the makins' for a "hair trigger"!:cool:

nope. the mainspring has nothing to do with making it a "hair trigger".
3.5#'s and thousands of rounds though that Loaded.

my TGO-1 and TRP both have 3.5# from the Custom Shop, with no problems.

my Trophy Match has a 2# trigger in it w/o any problems.

i also had a Loaded that i did a 2.5# trigger in it w/o problems.
sold this to a friend and it's still going strong and he uses it for a shooting league.
there's thousand's of rounds through that one as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/danno_man/1911a_trigger.jpg