I have FINALLY found some great tumbling media! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have FINALLY found some great tumbling media!

KiloBravo
07-31-2010, 20:13
I know most of you guys already used crushed walnut A.K.A. "Lizard Bedding," but I just decided to try some out today since the uncooked rice thing was not working out to well. Rice is hard to get out of certain sized cases, does not strain through my colender very well to seperate from the brass after cleaning, and is LOUD while tumbling. I really did not think there would be such a huge difference in the noise level from one media to another, but I seriously cannot even hear the brass going right now with the walnut.

I shot about 100 rounds at the range today and came home with about 600-800 of assorted calibers. :supergrin: That means I will be getting to see how very well the new media works out for me tonight. I just always add a couple drops of liquid turtle wax for polish and they look brand new when finished.

I apologize if this is a scattered post, I have been drinking an awful lot of Moosehead Lager tonight and might feel slightly happy. :whistling:

dsmw5142
08-01-2010, 00:48
MMM.... Moosehead. I haven't had that in years. Good stuff. I like the Lizard Litter for cleaning cases. It is VERY dusty though. When My current supply is gone, I think I'm going to try some Grainger corn cob.

orgnova
08-01-2010, 05:02
I've been experimenting with different mixing ratios with corncob and walnut shells. Having good results with approximately 60% corncob and 40% crushed walnut shells. Adding a little turtle wax makes them shine like new.

unclebob
08-01-2010, 07:12
The walnut you get from Pet Smart is not as dusty as the stuff you get from Wal-Mart.
Put a couple of cut up dryer sheets in with the walnut media. That helps in getting rid of a lot of the dust and also the dirt etc. from off of the cases.
When I come back from the range I dump the cases in the walnut media with a couple of dryer sheets. The cases clean up faster if you can clean them as soon as you can. Just like with cleaning dishes. The sooner you put them in water the easier they are too clean.
Then when Iím ready too load, I put them in corncob media with a 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. You do not want too use car wax. I do not remember why. I think you get the same reaction as if you leave lube on the cases. I know someone is going too chime in and say they have been doing that for years and nothing has happened. Iím just passing on what I have been told by a lot better experts than I well ever be.
If you want too mix the two medias together? Most people use a 50/50 mixture.

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 07:46
The walnut you get from Pet Smart is not as dusty as the stuff you get from Wal-Mart.
Put a couple of cut up dryer sheets in with the walnut media. That helps in getting rid of a lot of the dust and also the dirt etc. from off of the cases.
When I come back from the range I dump the cases in the walnut media with a couple of dryer sheets. The cases clean up faster if you can clean them as soon as you can. Just like with cleaning dishes. The sooner you put them in water the easier they are too clean.
Then when Iím ready too load, I put them in corncob media with a 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. You do not want too use car wax. I do not remember why. I think you get the same reaction as if you leave lube on the cases. I know someone is going too chime in and say they have been doing that for years and nothing has happened. Iím just passing on what I have been told by a lot better experts than I well ever be.
If you want too mix the two medias together? Most people use a 50/50 mixture.

I appreciate the information. The crushed walnut I got is from Petco. I will pick up some dryer sheets today to toss in there. I also don't think I am too anxious to mix any media. The walnut by itself seems to be doing a pretty good job by itself for about the last day or so that I have been using it. The brass comes out clean and shiny enough for me. :supergrin:

Thanks again!:wavey:

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 07:47
MMM.... Moosehead. I haven't had that in years. Good stuff. I like the Lizard Litter for cleaning cases. It is VERY dusty though. When My current supply is gone, I think I'm going to try some Grainger corn cob.

Moosehead is good stuff for sure! :cool:

I am really liking the walnut so far. I will probably try corncob some day too just to see if there is any huge difference.

unclebob
08-01-2010, 08:09
Walnut cleans the brass and corncob media polishes the brass. It just depends on how you want your brass too look. Also the mineral sprits helps in cleaning off the carbon and the car polish helps in polishing the brass. If you use either one or both of the polish or mineral sprits. Use very little of both. About 1 to 2 teaspoons full. Too much just gums everything up. Also if you use the car polish add it too the media and let the tumbler run for about 5 minutes too let the polish mix in with the media before adding the brass. If you donít the polish and media well stuck inside of the case.

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 08:34
Walnut cleans the brass and corncob media polishes the brass. It just depends on how you want your brass too look. Also the mineral sprits helps in cleaning off the carbon and the car polish helps in polishing the brass. If you use either one or both of the polish or mineral sprits. Use very little of both. About 1 to 2 teaspoons full. Too much just gums everything up. Also if you use the car polish add it too the media and let the tumbler run for about 5 minutes too let the polish mix in with the media before adding the brass. If you donít the polish and media well stuck inside of the case.

Thanks again. I actually figured out exactly what happens when I don't let the polish tumble for a few minutes before adding brass. :embarassed: It was my first time attempting to tumble and I kind of had to spend an hour cleaning out about 30 cases that had clumped up media inside of them. :faint:

ron59
08-01-2010, 09:24
You mentioned having "assorted calibers" from your range trip... I would DEFINITELY sort before putting them in the tumbler.

Otherwise your 9mms will be stuck inside your .40's.... your .40's inside your .45's, etc.

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 09:37
You mentioned having "assorted calibers" from your range trip... I would DEFINITELY sort before putting them in the tumbler.

Otherwise your 9mms will be stuck inside your .40's.... your .40's inside your .45's, etc.

Yes...I learned that the hard way as well the first time I cleaned any brass. I always do sort now before throwing them in the tumbler. It only takes once. :rofl:

gnepig
08-01-2010, 11:45
I'm using the walnut also it's working pretty good with no additives, but was wondering how cat litter would work? Isn't cat litter a crushed clay?
Might be real dusty tho... any thoughts?

AA#5
08-01-2010, 13:53
I get great results with the corncob media & some of the stuff Berry's Mfg. sells.

GioaJack
08-01-2010, 16:00
Walnut, schmalnut, just have a few more beers and you won't care what your cases look like. Some people want to complicate everything.

Jack

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 16:30
Walnut, schmalnut, just have a few more beers and you won't care what your cases look like. Some people want to complicate everything.

Jack

:rofl::rofl:

Well, I am sober today, and the cases I ran last night actually turned out very clean and shiny. I am thinking you were onto something when I first started coming around this part of the website when you were talking about making sure to keep a good drunk going when completing reloading related tasks. :supergrin:

bush pilot
08-01-2010, 18:01
I know most of you guys already used crushed walnut A.K.A. "Lizard Bedding," but I just decided to try some out today since the uncooked rice thing was not working out to well. Rice is hard to get out of certain sized cases, does not strain through my colender very well to seperate from the brass after cleaning, and is LOUD while tumbling. I really did not think there would be such a huge difference in the noise level from one media to another, but I seriously cannot even hear the brass going right now with the walnut.

I shot about 100 rounds at the range today and came home with about 600-800 of assorted calibers. :supergrin: That means I will be getting to see how very well the new media works out for me tonight. I just always add a couple drops of liquid turtle wax for polish and they look brand new when finished.

I apologize if this is a scattered post, I have been drinking an awful lot of Moosehead Lager tonight and might feel slightly happy. :whistling:

Rice is a great tumbling media, most people just don't know how to use it correctly. The secret is to add a cap of soy sauce every 3rd or 4th cycle. Been doing this for years.

wdphillips
08-02-2010, 14:28
What is the walnut stuff at Walmart? Pet litter of some sort?

PCJim
08-02-2010, 14:32
Kaytee brand bird cage litter. That is what Walmart used to sell, in about a 6 lb bag. I have not seen any in the local stores in over a year.