Primary computer - laptop or desktop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primary computer - laptop or desktop?

Idontplaynice
07-31-2010, 22:04
What do you use as your main computer?

CitizenOfDreams
07-31-2010, 22:08
Desktop as a main computer at home, laptop for work and travel. Your mileage may vary.

srhoades
07-31-2010, 22:11
Desktop, more bang for your buck and cheaper to repair.

CitizenOfDreams
08-01-2010, 01:18
Desktop, more bang for your buck and cheaper to repair.

Much more upgradeable, too. My current desktop still runs a 2004 motherboard - upgraded with SATA300 controller, modern hard drives, fast video card, 28" monitor and the best RAM and CPU the chipset would support. With a laptop you are pretty much stuck with what you bought.

srhoades
08-01-2010, 01:53
Much more upgradeable, too. My current desktop still runs a 2004 motherboard - upgraded with SATA300 controller, modern hard drives, fast video card, 28" monitor and the best RAM and CPU the chipset would support. With a laptop you are pretty much stuck with what you bought.

PCIx didn't even come out until 2004, that must have been one expensive board for the time. Asus?

AmericanGunWorks
08-01-2010, 12:35
24" Imac for main computer, will not go to anything less. Well maybe a mac mini with 27" led display but nothing less.

The screen is so large and beautiful a laptop just can't compare. I did try to use a blackbook with external display etc but it was just too much hassle to keep pluggin and unpluggin stuff.

I do have a dell crap laptop for mobile stuff for my business but I'm really looking at replacing that with a IPad instead. I'll probably wait for the next Ipad first though.

CitizenOfDreams
08-01-2010, 12:55
PCIx didn't even come out until 2004, that must have been one expensive board for the time. Asus?

Yep, ASUS A8V. The board was fresh on the market and relatively expensive, but I bought a cheaper entry-level CPU and upgraded it a few years later when the prices came down.

captainstormy
08-03-2010, 09:23
I always go with a desktop for my main computer. Like other posters have said they are cheaper to build in the first place and cheaper/easier to keep it going with upgrading.

Laptops are for the most part only good for a short period of time. After a couple of years the hardware needs an upgrade, but its usually about the same price just to buy a new laptop.

Usually when I build a Desktop I get a top of the line motherboard and power supply. The rest of the parts depend on the budget. Overtime I replace pretty much everything in the system as it needs it and often I'll get a good 8-10 years out of a motherboard easy.

rogerbb
08-07-2010, 17:46
one thing I always thought was nice about a laptop was when I would be away from home for the day I locked it in my gun safe. All my finance records were safer from theft.

elad
08-08-2010, 09:44
My primary is the desktop w/ 24 mon, like others have said easier to upgrade and maintain. Little lady uses the laptop for her e-mail and games. :supergrin:

Swiper
08-08-2010, 11:20
What do you use as your main computer?

Laptops. I used to swear by desktops but today the average laptop are good and cheap enough for most people to use them as their primary computer.

EDIT: I also have nowhere to put a desktop in my new home which made the choice so much easier.

Hef
08-08-2010, 12:09
Desktop at my home/office, desktop at the office, laptop on job sites, Blackberry all the time.

CitizenOfDreams
08-08-2010, 15:11
EDIT: I also have nowhere to put a desktop in my new home

I was having the same problem when they stopped making large CRT TVs.

http://www.indymedia.org/images/2009/08/927584.jpg

cgwahl
08-08-2010, 16:43
My primary right now is the laptop since my desktop died a few years ago and hadn't felt like replacing it.

Since I don't play games as much, I also don't feel I need it. When I finally pay the money for a NAS or some sort of file server alternative, I have my doubts I'll get a desktop anytime soon. I kind of like being portable.

JacobNW
08-08-2010, 19:44
For any really serious work, desktops have so many advantages over laptops. Not only do you get so much more horsepower for the money, but they are just so much more expandable.

I've got a gorgeous 27" monitor running on my primary computer. My keyboard is far superior to anything that any laptop has. A big 1 TB hard drive and 8 gigs of Ram, way more than a laptop would normally have. 10 USB 2.0 ports too. That is far more than any laptop has.

I've even installed a USB 3.0 card in one of my PCIe slots, with one of he new Western Digital MyBook USB 3.0 1 TB drives connected to it. USB 3.0 totally blows away 2.0 in terms of data transfer speed by several times. I can now backup and transfer data in a small fraction of the time that it used to take. The whole package, both external drive together with the PCIe card, only cost me $129

Heck, one cannot even get the new ultra-fast USB 3.0 on any laptops yet.

The computer came with a DVD R/W drive, but it had a nice expansion bay that made it super simple for me to add a Pioneer BDR-205 12x Internal Blu-Ray Burner.

I really cannot recommend the Gateway FX6840 Series more. For $999, it is really one heck of a computer, as it also comes with an amazingly fast Intel Core i7 CPU.

See:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598162.php

Hef
08-08-2010, 19:54
For any really serious work, desktops have so many advantages over laptops. Not only do you get so much more horsepower for the money, but they are just so much more expandable.

I've got a gorgeous 27" monitor running on my primary computer. My keyboard is far superior to anything that any laptop has. A big 1 TB hard drive and 8 gigs of Ram, way more than a laptop would normally have. 10 USB 2.0 ports too. That is far more than any laptop has.

I've even installed a USB 3.0 card in one of my PCIe slots, with one of he new Western Digital MyBook USB 3.0 1 TB drives connected to it. USB 3.0 totally blows away 2.0 in terms of data transfer speed by several times. I can now backup and transfer data in a small fraction of the time that it used to take. The whole package, both external drive together with the PCIe card, only cost me $129

Heck, one cannot even get the new ultra-fast USB 3.0 on any laptops yet.

The computer came with a DVD R/W drive, but it had a nice expansion bay that made it super simple for me to add a Pioneer BDR-205 12x Internal Blu-Ray Burner.

I really cannot recommend the Gateway FX6840 Series more. For $999, it is really one heck of a computer, as it also comes with an amazingly fast Intel Core i7 CPU.

See:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598162.php

SO what do you do with your computer? Sounds like you've got a lot invested in it.

NAS T MAG
08-08-2010, 20:36
I have a home network. Two desktops in the office, one in the bathroom (mostly for ITunes and Pandora) and two laptops downstairs.

Currently responding on my laptop.

Alchemy
08-10-2010, 19:39
Desktop for all the reasons that have been posted.

ibedanny
08-10-2010, 19:43
desktop for data backups. laptops for play.

boomhower
08-11-2010, 14:57
Notebook. I used to build my own PC's for years and years. I found myself always upgrading just for the sake of upgrading and just spending way to much money on the hobby. I finally got rid of everything and just bought a notebook. I'm happier, and the wife was very happy to get my big ass desk out of the living room. I usually buy a new notebook every year to two years at around a $500 difference to what I sell my old one for, about half of what I was spending on desktop crap.