Primers stored in Arkansas storage shed for 12 years. Use them? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primers stored in Arkansas storage shed for 12 years. Use them?

tnedator
07-31-2010, 23:05
Ok, I figure the answer is toss them, but here goes. I'm just getting back into reloading after about 12 years. When I was digging around in one of those rented storage buildings to find my Dillon press, I found that my wife had put a box of primers (5,000 with only a few missing) in the shed with the reloading equipment.

So, is it safe to use the primers after being exposed to 12 Arkansas summers (often 100*+ and high humidity, especially in metal shed)? Should I use these or toss them?

If I toss them, what's the proper way to dispose of bulk primers.

dsmw5142
07-31-2010, 23:28
I would use them for my practice/range ammo. The worst that's going to happen is that they won't fire. Load up 50 and see if they work.
Most of those storage barns are reasonably dry or people wouldn't pay monthly to rent them. I bet they're fine.

WiskyT
08-01-2010, 06:41
They'll work. I had a few thousand that were older than that stored in a garage attic and they all went bang. Just don't bet a trophy or your life on them. Use them for the range.

DoctaGlockta
08-01-2010, 07:35
An early Christmas. Enjoy your new found treasure and USE them.

Welcome back.

tnedator
08-01-2010, 09:37
Actually, only 4,100, as one outer box only had a box of 100 left in it. Still, that looks to be over $100 worth of Winchester WSP primers.

I would just be using them for 9mm or 40 S&W range ammo, so it sounds like I'm good to go. I might load up a small batch initially to make sure I don't wind up with a high percentage of fail to fires.

shotgunred
08-01-2010, 09:45
Are they still in the box? I bet they will be fine. Last year I shoy up some ammo mu dad had left in the been in the seventy's. Not one miss fire. Heck you can still buy Greek 30 06 from WWII on the net. I have never heard anyone complain about it.

cole
08-01-2010, 11:24
Load 50 and try 'em... then load more. They'll work or they won't. I shot some off-brand primers from the 70s' (?) last year. They all went bang. 12 years is not that long really.

Giddyupgo55
08-01-2010, 14:21
As long as they were kept dry load up some test rounds and shoot them. But then I would use them for plinking only.

wilkersk
08-02-2010, 22:38
Beat a few with a hammer, if they go boom, load up some for the range. If they all go boom, use them without reservation.

WiskyT
08-03-2010, 14:14
Don't beat them with a hammer. Matchbooks and primers are fun to set off by smashing with a hammer, but dangerous. When we were young and dumb, as opposed to old and dumb, we chipped hammers and concrete floors doing that.

sarge
08-07-2010, 15:29
I would use them for my practice/range ammo. The worst that's going to happen is that they won't fire. Load up 50 and see if they work.

This. I figure they'll shoot just fine.

garander
08-08-2010, 07:35
my buddy wacked a primer with a hammer. his hands still have the scars

KiloBravo
08-08-2010, 07:42
my buddy wacked a primer with a hammer. his hands still have the scars

I did something just about as stupid. Before I realized what primers actually did back when I was younger and much dumber, I actually drilled a bunch of live primers to "de-activate" them. Boy oh boy, those things are much louder then I thought they were. Thankfully, I did not have any sort of permanant damage done.

AZson
08-09-2010, 21:47
I've got some "Western" primers when I bought a mess of reloading equipment and supplies from a guy, I figure they are about 20+ years old and they work great.
They where stored in a garage here in Tucson.
If you dont want them I'll take them