Issues with Wolf Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Wolf Ammo

KiloBravo
07-31-2010, 23:28
So, I have shot a couple hundred rounds worth of .223 wolf in my AR in the past without one single issue. Well, after today, I am totally finished with using anymore of it.

I was able to duplicate an empty case seizing up TIGHT in the chamber at the range today. The ammo was also slowing down the BCG enough to where it was not able to strip the next round from the magazine. I barely got through my first box of the crap. I am glad I only bought 3 boxes total. I will probably just give away the rest of it to somebody who can shoot it.

I was inspecting the ammo, and I noticed a few things I had not in my previous batch of Wolf. There were mixed match colored primers, and there felt to be little uneven burs on the mouth of the case where it meets the bullet.

I did check out the chamber on my rifle with a flash light, and could not see any type of scarring. I just hope it did not cause any sort of problems. It has run 100% up until today.

B.Reid
08-01-2010, 05:38
I have noticed that they seem to be a little under powered. One of my rifles won't cycle with Wolf ammo.

rich636
08-01-2010, 07:06
Deer

Does your gun have a chrome lined chamber?

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 07:57
Deer

Does your gun have a chrome lined chamber?

Yes Sir. Chrome lined barrel and chamber. That is what surprised me.

Steve in PA
08-01-2010, 11:38
More Wolf for the rest of us to shoot!

vafish
08-01-2010, 14:24
I've never had Wolf seize up of fail to function in my AR15's. I have had one blown primer.

The various color primers is pretty common in Wolf steel cased ammo. I see it all the time in their 7.62x39 ammo.

jbotstein1
08-01-2010, 14:41
Did you decide who you're going to give it away to? You want my address?

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 15:42
Did you decide who you're going to give it away to? You want my address?

I actually just traded it for two boxes of Federal 5.56 X 45 today to my buddy after getting home from the range.

I think it was actually just one bad box. The Wolf I have shot before functioned fine. Oh well. I shot a couple boxes of Remington UMC today to show myself the issues were ammo related, and it ran flawlessly. I am happy again. :supergrin:

HAIL CAESAR
08-01-2010, 16:24
Wolf ammo is cheap blasting and training ammo. Some will eat the junk, some will not. It is not a ammo to use for anything serious, or to judge your gun by.

But if you have a gun marked 5.56 but is really a .223 chamber...Wolf will point that out to you quickly.
I have shot a truckload of the stuff over the years, but it is junk.

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 16:26
Wolf ammo is cheap blasting and training ammo. Some will eat the junk, some will not. It is not a ammo to use for anything serious, or to judge your gun by.

But if you have a gun marked 5.56 but is really a .223 chamber...Wolf will point that out to you quickly.
I have shot a truckload of the stuff over the years, but it is junk.

True that...My rifle is marked for both cartridges, and I have shot a lot of each. The thing that sucks is that I have always had great results with Wolf up until yesterday. The price it is locally though makes me tend to stick with just the brass cased stuff anyway. There is not really any substancial savings on either or, so I buy the stuff I can reload. :supergrin:

HAIL CAESAR
08-01-2010, 16:28
You might check you chamber to see if it is really a 5.56 and not a .223. That is a very common issue.

KiloBravo
08-01-2010, 16:32
You might check you chamber to see if it is really a 5.56 and not a .223. That is a very common issue.

This is an honest question...Do you think I should check it even if the received is stamped for both? If so, how would I go about doing that? Just drop a round of each in the chamber or what?

ETA: I shot four boxes of brass stuff today total, as mentioned above. Two boxes of the UMC, and two boxes of WWB 5.56. I wanted to see if it would have problems with either or, but it ran like a champ.

PlasticGuy
08-01-2010, 16:36
I was a gun department manager in a sporting goods store for a couple years before I got into nuclear security. I saw bad rounds and boxes of rounds, and even entire bad lots from nearly every ammo manufacturer. We had .22's that were blowing up from Remington ammo, which was from a lot they later recalled. We sent back some recalled pistol ammo from Winchester. I still have a round of Federal .44 Special ammo with the bullet loaded upside down. I have a couple rounds of Speer .40 S&W ammo with the primers seated sideways. And you had one bad box of Wolf? It happens.

HAIL CAESAR
08-01-2010, 16:45
If you have a Oly, Bushmaster, or DPMS then it is entirely possible you might have a undersized barrel.

I always use a 5.56 chamber reamer.

PlasticGuy
08-01-2010, 17:15
If you have a Oly, Bushmaster, or DPMS then it is entirely possible you might have a undersized barrel.

I always use a 5.56 chamber reamer.
He said it has a chrome lined barrel and chamber. That means it's almost 100% certain to not be a DPMS or Oly, and all the Bushmasters with chrome lined barrels have 5.56 chambers.

HAIL CAESAR
08-01-2010, 17:22
and all the Bushmasters with chrome lined barrels have 5.56 chambers.
5.56 chamber reamers say different. I have reamed several Bushy's. Barrels were marked 5.56, but were .223 chambers. Actually I have no idea if they were .223 and suspect they were tighter that that.

Just because they are marked one way, from certain manufacturers DO NOT rely on the markings.

PlasticGuy
08-01-2010, 19:47
5.56 chamber reamers say different. I have reamed several Bushy's. Barrels were marked 5.56, but were .223 chambers...
You reamed the chambers of chrome lined barrels? Really?

Constructor
08-01-2010, 22:06
You reamed the chambers of chrome lined barrels? Really?
A carbide reamer will take it out like it was plain metal.
not that you would want to but...

HAIL CAESAR
08-01-2010, 22:08

Yeap, take it out like butter.

A lot of people don't like it, but when a nickle and dime company sells you a out of spec barrel that is marked 5.56 there ain't no way to fix it but ream it.

Constructor
08-02-2010, 01:03
If you want to use Wolf you can tune the rifle to run on wolf.
We do this same procedure with our professional grade rigs except it is tuned with what ever ammo the customer shoots.
First change to a "SSS" spring or "Tactical Springs" op spring to give it some power when things get dirty and sticky, swap the buffer to an H2 so it will have a little weight behind it to move the carrier forward and strip a round from the mag. Now the tougher part is enlarging the port to cycle the heavier buffer and stiffer spring with weaker ammo. In a carbine location it is easy, probably starts out around .063 from the factory just start drilling in .005 increments until it cycles just make sure the gas block is over the port and tight to prevent leaks.
If it is a mid gas then it shoud be around .076-.083 still possible but not as much room before hitting .099 which I think is about max for port sizes even though I have seen some as large as 1/8".
One other thing that helps with steel cases, Tetra oil on a .410 bore mop in the chamber then remove the excess.

Foxtrotx1
08-02-2010, 01:46
I need to find the photo i have of a Tula (wolf) .223 round that had the primer put in upside down! only bad round i ever had. Didn't fire it. So i can still say i never had a FTF with wolf :)

PlasticGuy
08-02-2010, 02:04
not that you would want to but...
That "not that you would want to" part was my point.

HAIL CAESAR
08-02-2010, 02:06
That "not that you would want to" part was my point.

It's not that big of a deal, and a hell of a lot better than having a rifle that won't function other than a paperweight.

PlasticGuy
08-02-2010, 03:51
It's not that big of a deal, and a hell of a lot better than having a rifle that won't function other than a paperweight.
You say that you've reamed "several" chrome lined Bushmaster chambers because the rifles "won't function other than as a paperweight"? Calling me skeptical would be an understatement... :whistling:

HAIL CAESAR
08-02-2010, 04:59
Howdy Skeptical.:wavey::wavey:

Several Bushwackers, many more Oly and DPMS.

beforeobamabans
08-02-2010, 07:15
Hmmm....Russian product for export. Who would ever suspect quality issues?

Caveat Emptor.

WoodenPlank
08-02-2010, 08:04
My Colt barrel won't eat Wolf ammo consistently. The farthest I have made it on Wolf without a malf is about 6 rounds. 5.56 chamber, chrome bore and chamber. Last time I tried it, I had a FTE where the case hung up half way through extraction. Bolt carrier could not be pulled to the rear with the charging handle, nor pushed forward with the forward assist. Since the bolt had partially cycled before hanging up, I could not separate the upper and lower, either. Of course, I had failed to bring a cleaning rod with me, so that option was out. Ended up removing the magazine and slamming the butt of the stock against a hard surface to force the bolt carrier to the rear, which extracted and ejected the case in question. Checked the casing afterward, and it had cracked at the mouth. The crack extended less than 1/8th of an inch, but it was apparently enough to jam the hell out of it. Checked bore and chamber for obvious damage or obstructions, slapped in a magazine of Federal, and it ran like a champ.

PlasticGuy
08-02-2010, 12:29
Howdy Skeptical.:wavey::wavey:

Several Bushwackers, many more Oly and DPMS.
Nothing with Oly or DPMS would surprise me.

Make no mistake: I'm specifically NOT calling you a liar. Not my a long shot. I know you have a lot of experience with tweaking and tuning guns. However, I have a lot of experience in this particular area, and your statement on Bushmaster barrels is exactly opposite of everything I"ve seen in classes I've taken and taught in the last decade. Bushmaster is certainly not Colt, but their barrels have proven to be pretty good in my experience.

HAIL CAESAR
08-02-2010, 13:34
Nothing with Oly or DPMS would surprise me.

Make no mistake: I'm specifically NOT calling you a liar. Not my a long shot. I know you have a lot of experience with tweaking and tuning guns. However, I have a lot of experience in this particular area, and your statement on Bushmaster barrels is exactly opposite of everything I"ve seen in classes I've taken and taught in the last decade. Bushmaster is certainly not Colt, but their barrels have proven to be pretty good in my experience.

I'm sorry...I shouldn't have taken it wrong and got my neck hair up. My fault.:wavey:

But yes, Bushmasters quality control has went in the outhouse too. Nowhere like Oly, and nowhere in the numbers, but they went in the crapper too. Especially if you have a issue you better know how to fix it yourself cause there CS is lacking.

PlasticGuy
08-02-2010, 16:36
I'm sorry...I shouldn't have taken it wrong and got my neck hair up. My fault.:wavey:

But yes, Bushmasters quality control has went in the outhouse too. Nowhere like Oly, and nowhere in the numbers, but they went in the crapper too. Especially if you have a issue you better know how to fix it yourself cause there CS is lacking.
No worries. It's sometimes hard to guage the tone of a post. It was not a personal attack, and I'm sorry if it came out that way.

Your customer service comment in contradictory to my experience also though. I spent a couple years as a gun department manager at a sporting goods store before I got into nuclear security. We sold literally hundreds of Bushmaster rifles, only had a couple of minor problems, and Bushmaster fixed those correctly and promptly. Strange that your experience is so counter to that.

HAIL CAESAR
08-02-2010, 16:42
Your customer service comment in contradictory to my experience also though.

You know that is strange, but not the first time I've heard that.

Just like I get the run around with Kimber and other folks say they are nice as pie.
I have absolutely nothing to say but good about Sig ( as long as you don't talk to Johnathan) and other folks say they are treated like dirt.

I have had nothing but luck talking to Baer ( nice guy..to me), but was standing next to a guy on the phone with Les one time and could literally hear Les cussing the guy a new hole.:rofl:

It is funny.

On the other part; it's all water under the highway to nowhere. No problems.:wavey: