Choke for slug use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Choke for slug use

rmeron
08-01-2010, 03:51
What is the preferred choke for slug use, F,IM,M,Cyl?

method
08-01-2010, 04:53
Modified and looser. Most smooth bore slug barrels will be cylinder or improved cylinder. Not all slugs are the exact same diameter either, they can vary a thousandth of an inch or two, so slug 'A' may prefer modified while slug 'B' prefers IC.

Z71bill
08-01-2010, 21:40
The reason you use a choke with bird or buck shot is to force the shot into a tighter pattern -

Since a slug is one chunk of lead - you would want the least restrictive choke you have - normally IC.

I can't think of any reasons a more restrictive choke would be helpful if you are shooting slugs.

:dunno:

aippi
08-01-2010, 22:06
The best choke for slugs is Modified. It stablizes the slug as it leaves the barrel better then I/C.

Z71bill
08-02-2010, 09:00
The best choke for slugs is Modified. It stablizes the slug as it leaves the barrel better then I/C.

Remington - has this little note right on the side of box.

"Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke: however, improved cylinder will provide the best results."

If I was going to use slugs on a regular basis - I would test different chokes to see what works best -

Last few times I shot slugs it was out of my 870 - open cylinder 18.5 inch barrel - I only shot out to about 50 yards - I was surprised how accurate they were - even using this set up -a man sized target would not stand a chance under 50 yards.

I know some hunters use slugs out past 150 yards - but will guess they use a dedicated slug barrel & are not using open sights -

Nutt51
08-02-2010, 10:09
Method and Aippi told you right.
I would never use anything tighter than a Modified.
You could shoot Cyl., I/C, or Modified. I would bet
your best groups would be with I/C or Modified.
If I were picking one choke it would be a Modified
to shoot rifled slugs for the reason J.D.(Aippi) gave.

GoBow
08-02-2010, 10:39
For shooting slugs, and only shooting slugs, cylinder or improved cylinder.

But the beauty of a shotgun is being able to fire different types of shells. Buckshot out of a modified choke will still be on the target past 25-35 yds. And, you can still shoot slugs out of a modified choke without any problems.

It's all in what you intend to do. Best of luck!