A carry dilemma... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A carry dilemma...

Jim S.
08-01-2010, 08:01
I normally carry a G21SF. The problem is that I still love my 1911's.
I have a couple that are basic models, which is my preference in 1911's, and are perfectly dependable so far.
I've got an unknown amount of rounds through my 1911's without a failure.
I didn't keep track on these guns.
My 21SF has over 10,000 rounds through her without a failure.
She feeds anything and everything. Shoots ALMOST as good as the 1911's.
Not sure if it's the guns or just me shooting better with the 1911's.
My dilemma is this...
14 rounds of 45 in the Glock. Perfectly dependable and durable.
Wouldn't get upset if she got banged around and beat up.
Simple to use and take apart.
But alas... not much soul. Sort of like not really any class or distinction to a Glock.
1911 people will understand. Even the basic models of 1911's have the quality and distinction that only a gun such as these can have.
I don't feel undergunned with 7 or 8 rounds of 45 with me. Add a spare mag and why would I need more?
But... I still end up carrying the Glock and leaving the 1911's in the safe.
They are not happy and neither am I.
Anyone else deal with this or even want to chastize me over this???
Give me your thoughts.

SouthpawShootr
08-01-2010, 08:18
Yep. I prefer the 1911 platform, but carry a G23. Sometimes a G26. I've got a very nice Kimber CDPII Compact that sits uncarried. Cost twice as much as any of my Glocks. I also have a Para-Ord P13.45 that equals the capacity of my Glock 21 (but seems to weigh twice as much).

I don't mind honest wear, but I seem to have a problem bumping into things and my Glocks take it better than any of my finely finished 1911s. A stupid (as in unnecessary) scratch on the slide of a 1911 makes me feel bad, almost as though I've been careless with my property. That same scratch on a G21 would annoy me the first time I noticed it, but I wouldn't think about it after that. On a 1911, it would bug me everytime I saw it. I don't know what the answer is. :dunno:

69 Mach One
08-01-2010, 08:24
I carry Kimber Pro CDP II everyday in a Tucker IWB for the last 3 years & she looks like new. Only sign of slight wear would be the rt grip but easy to rectify.

DWARREN123
08-01-2010, 08:29
The old saying " I have a 1911 to show my friends and a Glock to show my enemies."

Cerebrus
08-01-2010, 09:06
I have my Kimber Ultra carry for edc..it was not cheap nor was it particularly expensive either. It has been nothing but reliable since I got it, it gets carried in a supertuck and when the finish gets too worn I will have it robar'd or harchromed. Not a huge issue. I carry this gun because it is comfortable, easy to conceal and every time I pull the trigger it goes bang.

MD357
08-01-2010, 09:16
The old saying " I have a 1911 to show my friends and a Glock to show my enemies."

and then it blows up in their face..... literally. :wavey:

To the OP, if you carry a G21 and you are comfy with it, don't change it.

Bill Lumberg
08-01-2010, 09:23
I wouldn't replace a glock with a 1911 for duty. But if you've trained with your 1911 and it's functioned fine, it's plenty good enough for concealed carry. Carry what you shoot well. I switch between glocks and a Springfield loaded for off duty carry. Good luck whatever you choose!

I normally carry a G21SF. The problem is that I still love my 1911's.
I have a couple that are basic models, which is my preference in 1911's, and are perfectly dependable so far.
I've got an unknown amount of rounds through my 1911's without a failure.
I didn't keep track on these guns.
My 21SF has over 10,000 rounds through her without a failure.
She feeds anything and everything. Shoots ALMOST as good as the 1911's.
Not sure if it's the guns or just me shooting better with the 1911's.
My dilemma is this...
14 rounds of 45 in the Glock. Perfectly dependable and durable.
Wouldn't get upset if she got banged around and beat up.
Simple to use and take apart.
But alas... not much soul. Sort of like not really any class or distinction to a Glock.
1911 people will understand. Even the basic models of 1911's have the quality and distinction that only a gun such as these can have.
I don't feel undergunned with 7 or 8 rounds of 45 with me. Add a spare mag and why would I need more?
But... I still end up carrying the Glock and leaving the 1911's in the safe.
They are not happy and neither am I.
Anyone else deal with this or even want to chastize me over this???
Give me your thoughts.

jrs93accord
08-01-2010, 09:27
Personally, I carry a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II ( in a Galco belt-slide holster) plus a spare 7-round magazine (in a Gould & Goodrich paddle magazine pouch).

lawdog734
08-01-2010, 11:36
I have carried a glock and my duty issued sig 229 off duty. But in the end I don't shoot any gun as well as I shoot a 1911. Not that I'm bad with the others. I would easily qualify with them but where as I can get them all in the head at 25 yards I can put them all in the forehead at 25 with the 1911. So I ask myself. If I'm with my children and the goblins come which gun do I hope I have with me. For me the answer is always a 1911.

ProCarryNAustin
08-01-2010, 11:42
The bottom line for me is that I have to be proficient and confident with the firearm I carry. I feel comfortable with either platform. If you do as well, carry what you want.

flynlead
08-01-2010, 11:49
I own glocks and 1911's and I carry a 1911 because it is the gun that I can pull fast and has a natural aim for me so my advice is carry the gun you can pull fast and hit accurately

CAcop
08-01-2010, 11:55
The reason why you still carry a Glock is because you haven't carried a CCO 1911. I have Springfield's version of it and that thing is as easy to carry as a j frame but with a Commander length barrel. It's like a thin G19.

Although I do understand your plight. I sometimes carry a P228 instead of the Springfield. Mostly when I go to SF. Partly because they carry Sigs and I figure if that gets seen by a cop up there they are more likely to think "cop" rather than "crook." That and SF can be a rough place and 16 rounds of 9mm beats 8 rounds of .45. Blasphemy I'm sure but it works for me.

Cerebrus
08-01-2010, 12:05
Although I do understand your plight. I sometimes carry a P228 instead of the Springfield. Mostly when I go to SF. Partly because they carry Sigs and I figure if that gets seen by a cop up there they are more likely to think "cop" rather than "crook." That and SF can be a rough place and 16 rounds of 9mm beats 8 rounds of .45. Blasphemy I'm sure but it works for me.[/QUOTE]

not to derail.. but I was under the impression that SF is a "gun free" zone and CCW is not a legal option there

Pima Pants
08-01-2010, 13:27
not to derail.. but I was under the impression that SF is a "gun free" zone and CCW is not a legal option there

I believe CACop is a CACop, therefore permitted to carry. My first clue was from his screen name.

rsxr22
08-01-2010, 14:48
i love 1911's more than anything, but i also do not carry one. I leave that up to the HK P2KSK or Ruger LCR. Im not worried about being under-gunned just comfortable and ive been carrying the HK for a few years and the LCR is just awesome because it is so light and concealable.

Hokie1911
08-01-2010, 19:46
I believe CACop is a CACop, therefore permitted to carry. My first clue was from his screen name.

Doh! :homer:

...although I'm not a Hokie (I have season tix, but my wife is the alumni) and I no longer own a G23.

ranger1968
08-01-2010, 19:58
You kind of said it in your intial post; Your Glock holds qhite a bit more ammo, shoots well, is durable as hell, and takes a beating without complaint, all while being dead reliable.

The one thing that it does not have is soul....

I have faced this very same dilemma- 1911 vs Glock (in my case, a 23), and I asked myself the same questions....what would the 1911 do for me that Glock could not do as well, or even better?

When I broke it down , the only advatage that the 1911 had as a carry gun was that it....was cool.....Not just a little cool, but mega, Punisher/Bruce Willis Last Man Standing cool....

That's when I reminded myself that I was living in real life, not a movie, and that what works, every day, in real life, relaibly, was more important in every way than how cool my pistol looked.

Trey83
08-01-2010, 20:07
Right now I carry a Glock. Both platforms have their advantages and disavantages so there isn't a right or wrong. I have been considering getting a commander sized 1911 for carry because of how much more natural feeling they are. I just shoot the 1911 much better than the Glocks and I am becoming comfortable with the idea of carrying coked and locked.

samuse
08-01-2010, 21:20
:rofl:I deal with the same exact dilemma every day! I thought I was the only one. I LOVE a 1911 and shoot them pretty regularly. I also recently bought a G-21sf RTF2 and it gobbles up any ammo and shoots much better than I thought it would.

I've been shooting this week in 100 degree weather and when my hands are sweaty and tired from running around and shooting 300 rounds+ of 45, I think the Glock is a little more forgiving when doing drills back to back. A steel frame seems to get hotter and slippery-er, and that huge slide on the 21 is easy to grab. This may sound wierd, but I like the trigger on the Glock better in conditions like that.

That's why I'm glad I have the freedom to own as many pistols as I want.

Jim S.
08-02-2010, 06:58
That's when I reminded myself that I was living in real life, not a movie, and that what works, every day, in real life, relaibly, was more important in every way than how cool my pistol looked.

I agree with what you guys are saying about Glocks and 1911's.
The problem is that I carried a 1911 for 30 years before I opened my mind to the fact that Glocks were possibly good sidearms.
I found out they are very good sidearms. That's why I carry one.
I also know that once a 1911 is established as reliable it is a very good sidearm too.
I like a full metal gun. I like the way a 1911 feels and shoots. I have yet to see a Glock after 30 years of carry.
But... my 21SF is a real work horse that can handle whatever happens and if for some reason it was sitting in an evidence room for two years I wouldn't really cry about it.
I guess for now the 21 is the gun I will carry.
I don't really like to switch carry guns either so I won't be carrying one today and the other tomorrow.
I guess it's nice to have this problem, hey? :supergrin:

brzusa.1911
08-02-2010, 07:39
I carry what I like and has proven reliable. I don't bump into things and my 1911s as well as my Glock(s) are babied the same way. I trust both platforms and would not part from any, BUT at the end of the day I like the feel of the steel, the trigger pull, the looks, the handling...of the 1911. If the 1911 gets scratched, so what?!?! If it bothers me, I will have it refinished or sell it and buy another one. I vote for enjoy your guns, shoot them, carry them...why leave it inside of a safe?!?!?

ctfireman
08-02-2010, 16:21
I have holsters for every single gun i own & kind of rotate carry guns. I carry my G27 the most but they all see some holster time. That way none feel neglected.

GunFighter45ACP
08-03-2010, 10:24
Life is about having options, not worries or regrets. My 1st Glock was a G21. On paper, it sure seemed like a better choice than the 5"/steel 1911 that was my EDC at that time. A few months later though, that G21 got awful heavy, blocky, & wide, so I ended up w/a G23, then a G32, then back to a 3"1911, and so on, and so on.

My lesson learned was, as long as I remained proficient w/any particular pistol, it would be OK to carry it, & since I had options, I could better tailor what I'd carry to the occasion/location that I'd be carrying in. Owning different sized Glocks & 1911s has made this advice a little more practical, too. Since it's now triple digit degrees where I live, my G27 goes pretty good w/shorts & a T-shirt. This fall, though, I'm sure a 1911 w/be back in the rotation, & on the days I venture into the city, maybe something w/a higher capacity will make the journey.

ArmoryDoc
08-03-2010, 13:51
I'm perfectly happy with a 6 round mag in an OACP. I also carry a Glock 36, Glock 27 and Glock 19 in my rotation. Round count to me is not an issue unless I'm going into rugged territory. The way the gun handles is more important to me than having a slew of rounds. I can always carry spares.

I carry my Glocks when I know I may be rough on the guns. Fishing, camping, hunting, etc. I don't worry about the finish on them. They are strictly a working gun.

sum-dum-guy
08-04-2010, 14:55
Wrestled with similar stuff here too. I carry a 1911 because I like the 1911 platform. But it is heavy and only carries 8 rounds, so I usually carry 2 extra mags. Thin and easier to conceal, but heavy.

I have been trying to carry the HK P30. Lighter overall and 15 rounds of 9mm. But a little wider and a little harder for me to conceal. Plus, the grip rubs my skin and grabs my cover garments. I may have to sandpaper down the grip stippling.

Since it is basically always hot here, the 1911 works better since it is easier for me to conceal. I think, all things being equal, I would probably choose the HK, if possble. I find them easier to maintain and not nearly as finnicky.

Although I train as much as I can, I am under no illusion about perfect aim under super high stress and the extra rounds may be more valuable. This is all an assumption though.

YMMV

Jim in MI
08-04-2010, 15:54
I can not shoot a Glock as well as a 1911. It just isn't physically possible. I sent my G20 to Cylinder and Slide and had just about everything you can do to a Glock done to it and I still shoot a 1911 better. My G19 is stock. I sold off my G17, G26, G29, G30.

A gunfight at 3 feet it probably wouldn't matter. But as I will most likely be moving and 3 feet will become 7 feet, then 20 feet, it does matter.

I carry a 1911 if clothing allows. I carry a HK P7 or J frame if I really need to hide something. Today I have a $900 Colt with $1600 in gunsmithing with me. If it gets scratched or impounded big deal.

I don't worry about magazine capacity. I have a safe full of guns but usually carry either a 1911, HK P7, or J frame, as they conceal well and I shoot them well.

I do not tell myself it is ok to carry the inferior gun because it holds more ammo in the mag.

Jim S.
08-04-2010, 20:39
I don't consider a Glock an inferior weapon to the 1911's.
Just a different tool that serves the same purpose.
I actually consider the Glocks very good sidearms for self defense.
Just that the 1911's have such a good feel.
Point better than the Glocks.
For me they shoot better than the Glocks.
And they have a certain class and they feel like a gun should feel.
Maybe because I grew up with 1911's.
I am pefectly comfortable with a locked and cocked 1911.
Just as comfortable with the ease of the Glock system.
See... I'm still in a dilemma.

g36user
08-04-2010, 21:24
What would Captain James T Kirk do?

silversport
08-05-2010, 05:59
I'm surprised and elated at the responses here...Jim S, it's as though you wrote what I think as well and I own both as you do...

...I think part of it might be the simplicity of the G21...nothing to poke, prod or stick you with the GLOCK...if you bump it in the doorway going through, you wouldn't necessarily yell "I'm Captain Kirk!"...

...I love my 1911s...they feel the best of any firearm I have ever held and I shoot them well...but the GLOCK 21 does nearly everything "mechanically" the 1911 does but it feels a bit big (despite being the SF)...it is a bit thick (check that payload)...and I shoot it nearly as well (probably just as well ;) )...

...but when I handle that 1911 (any of them) ahhhh...soul is a pretty nice description...

Bill

oldman101946
08-05-2010, 18:25
Any dependable gun will serve the same purpose when the handler is proficient with that gun.

I tend to carry a 1911 45acp for many reasons. The gun feels better, it looks better, it is more accurate, I shoot it better (even though I had to carry a G22 for 12 yrs) and one .45acp hit is all it takes to end a confrontation.

A 1911 is more concealable and more comfortable to carry.

Glocks are cheaper.

jamaicanj
08-05-2010, 19:01
I'm having the same dilemma as I consider getting my first 1911 platform gun. Ahhh, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Jim S.
08-06-2010, 07:35
Now, because I've had 1911's that were finicky and not completely dependable I have certain standards that must be met before I consider a 1911 carry worthy.
If I can shoot 500 rounds of good ammunition that I want to use for a carry gun without a failure I will consider it ok.
I shoot my carry guns often and usually at least 250 rounds each time.
Any failures in that 1911 had better be explainable in some way or it is not going to be my carry gun.
So, anyone who is getting into 1911's as a carry gun you have a high standard to compare them to since 99% of Glocks never have a failure.
My guess. No real stats to go on here.
My Glocks(2) have been flawless in over 10,000 rounds in each.
I have two 1911's that are flawless too.
Less rounds than the Glocks but still well over a thousand rounds, just didn't keep track.

cole
08-06-2010, 20:07
My 4" Kimber is heavy. I like the idea of carrying it more than the reality of it. I always carry a (thin) spare mag. The G30 is more fat, but lighter and far more comfy. I rarely carry an extra (fat) mag. All depends on the day, weather and my mood.