g30 reloads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : g30 reloads

Justin1911
08-01-2010, 09:07
I recently got a 30, and just put some of the loads I use for the 21sf through it yesterday (4.0 clays with a 200 gr molly lead SWC). Didn't go so well. When the slides come back after firing the round the barrel tilts - well that tilt was enough to push the rim of the fired case on the edge of the next SWC bullet in the mag and make the round not eject. It works fine in the 21sf because the longer barrel does not tilt as mush when the slide comes back.

I'm thinking a 200 RN bullet would be fine with the same set up. I have clays and Solo 1000 to play with and would prefer a molly lead bullet because of the price. Any load suggestions would be great, thanks

Keoking
08-01-2010, 09:12
There was one reloading thread several years ago where SWC and the G30 came up. All but one guy said that they wouldn't work. Of course, everyone called that one guy a liar or questioned whether he knew was a SWC was.

I use Titegroup and Rainier plated 230gr RN. I thought about using moly coated at one point, but they got trashed in a thread. I don't recall what people's gripes were.

Zombie Steve
08-01-2010, 09:22
I've never tried a swc profile in my 30 or 21...

Precision bullets 230 rfn seem to work ok in my 30, but I've only shot a couple hundred, then got interrupted with a bunch of other loading projects. You definitely want to taper crimp in a separate step - you'll scrape off the moly coating.

Wish I could be more help.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

cole
08-01-2010, 11:35
LSWC will not run in my G30 with a Lone Wolf barrel. Period. Both FTF and FTE. The fired round case rim hangs on the driving band of the next round. Inhibits proper cycling causing FTF/FTE or jumps the extractor causing FTE. Really dings up brass too. I've tried new "high-point" follower mags and older ones. It's about 50/50 at best.

I had the same issue in my G21sf with a KKM, LWD and Bar-Sto barrel. So, it seems to be hit and miss because some swear they work 100% in Glocks. Clearly, I've just not had their good fortune.

I've not bothered trying them in the Glock barrel. I do not want to bother getting the leading out. LRN works 100%. So I use that.

I save the LSWC for the throated 1911. The bullet profile was designed when the 1911 was really the only .45acp. Most modern guns don't like 'em, or it's hit and miss at best. They won't run well in the XD or Sig 220 either from what I hear.

Zombie Steve
08-01-2010, 13:34
Interesting. Lead semi-wadcutters run fine in all my non-Glock .45's, including my P220.

fredj338
08-01-2010, 15:17
Interesting. Lead semi-wadcutters run fine in all my non-Glock .45's, including my P220.
Certain designs just won't handle the 200grSWC. The G30, & XD come to mind. It is a design falw, after all, they are designed as combat pistol not target pistols. You may be able to tweek an OAL or SWC style to get 99% reliability, but just switch to a RN or TC design & move on. I have shot 200grLSWC in 1911s, even a G21, for years. Then my XD chokes about 20% of the time. So, everything gets a RN or TC now & the 200grLSWC bullet mold sits idle.:crying: This 200gr bullet feeds in anything.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/45200TCPB.jpg

GioaJack
08-01-2010, 15:44
Couldn't get 200 grain SWC's to feed in my 30 with either a stock or LW barrel. Bought a 230 RN mould, feeds fine but the piece of junk sits in the safe. Calling a G30 a .45 is like calling a newt an alligator. :whistling:

Jack

fredj338
08-01-2010, 16:24
Couldn't get 200 grain SWC's to feed in my 30 with either a stock or LW barrel. Bought a 230 RN mould, feeds fine but the piece of junk sits in the safe. Calling a G30 a .45 is like calling a newt an alligator. :whistling:

Jack

Jack, Jack, bashing GLocks now? Next thing you'll be throwing the Lee equip under the bus (BTW, Lee presses make exc tire stops for nay size bus).
SInce you have a G30, does the trigger pinch your finger during firing? I have been playing w/ a friends G30, keep trying to like it, but w/ full power loads the trigger pinches my finger so badly that after a 100rds, I am done. Doesn't happen w/ the G36 though, wierd.:dunno:

Glock21sf-miami
08-01-2010, 19:24
Jack, Jack, bashing GLocks now? Next thing you'll be throwing the Lee equip under the bus (BTW, Lee presses make exc tire stops for nay size bus).
SInce you have a G30, does the trigger pinch your finger during firing? I have been playing w/ a friends G30, keep trying to like it, but w/ full power loads the trigger pinches my finger so badly that after a 100rds, I am done. Doesn't happen w/ the G36 though, wierd.:dunno:

I Put a bandaid over that area of the finger before I shoot. Problem solved.

G30s do NOT like SWCs. Feed it Ball and JHPs and you'll be fine.
I love my G30 has been 100% reliable through around 3,000 rounds. Of course it's a .45 Jack! Cheers....

BK63
08-01-2010, 19:57
I never use SWC's. Too many feed issues. Either ball ammo or RNFP work well.

GioaJack
08-01-2010, 20:02
Fred, I'm sure Glocks are fine pistols, especially for those who don't have long histories with other platforms, but I can't get used to 'em. To me they're like liberals, they have redeeming virtues.

About 12 or 15 years ago I won a Glock 9mm, (don't even know what model that would be, a 17 maybe?) at a shoot. I was thrilled, I had me one of those new wonder Glocks everyone was talking about.

Kept it through the summer and shot the hell out of it... it was like trying to get used to getting kicked in the nuts with a frozen boot... it never got anymore comfortable. It always felt like I was looking over a box of Saltine crackers and it had by far the worst trigger of any gun I ever carried. Now, to be fair, a big part of the problem is that I had no idea how to work on 'em.

I can turn a Smith trigger into buttered glass and can do a pretty fair job on a 1911 style trigger but I had no idea what to do with a Glock and I thought a striker was a position on a sports team. I could shoot it but I simply didn't like it. Traded it off for a much more valuable .40 caliber flintlock rifle. I ended up happy.

Last year I figured I'd give it another try and bought the G30... seemed like a good idea at the time. So did all my marriages. I wasn't thrilled when it wouldn't feed SWC's, even with an aftermarket barrel. Okay, used that as an excuse to buy a new mould. I still like the mould.

Shot it all last summer, even had a few of my non-Glock owning buddies run it through its paces. Maybe we're all just too set in our ways. No one liked it... no one could shoot it nearly as well as their 1911's.

I don't really recall an issue with finger pinching since I hated everything about the trigger anyway but what I really couldn't get used to was it's rate of climb in rapid follow-up shots. With exactly the same ammo the 1911's are much more controllable and quicker. I'm sure that isn't true for someone who is very familiar with Glocks but for me they seem to recoil entirely different.

I'm not bashing Glocks, I just don't like 'em... just like most women don't like me. :crying:

Jack

cole
08-01-2010, 20:02

Obvious question: Excluding the 1911 (already discussed as typically okay with SWC) and your P220 (which reliable SWC function is not universal (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=528973)), what "non-Glock .45's" are those?

For OP, also keep in mind SWC profiles differ. Basically, there are "sharp edge" and "rounded edge". Rounded will typically run better for obvious reasons. And, IMO, when folks talk "SWC" often they're talking about the "sharp edge" 200gr LSWC because it's the most common.

Rounded 185gr LSWC:
http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/reloading/45acp/185gr_swc_w231.jpg

Sharp 200gr LSWC
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/Hammerdown77/574f94dd.jpg

FLSlim
08-01-2010, 20:39
My G30 is only a couple of months old (but used and built in 09) and I've stayed away from lead. I've used FMJ & JHP in 200 and 230 grain without a hitch (Glock barrel). Finger pinching???, I understand the complaint but don't have that problem. A piece of tap sounds like a simple solution, though.

freakshow10mm
08-01-2010, 23:04
My 190gr LSWC .45 load feeds in a G30 no problem.

Other than that, any RN or TC bullet is fine. I also love the 230gr TC.

fredj338
08-01-2010, 23:22
My G30 is only a couple of months old (but used and built in 09) and I've stayed away from lead. I've used FMJ & JHP in 200 and 230 grain without a hitch (Glock barrel). Finger pinching???, I understand the complaint but don't have that problem. A piece of tap sounds like a simple solution, though.
Ok, it's not just me then. It seems something to do w/ the G30 smaller grip to trigger to recoil relationship. Shooting the G21 or G36, no issue, but the G30, no fun after 30 or so rds.
Yeah Jack, I hear ya. I force myself to shoot the GLock, but it's soooo much more work than any 1911. Trigger, grip, recoil, everything about a Glock is just not right for most 1911 shooters.:supergrin:

HAMMERHEAD
08-01-2010, 23:33
My G-30 would not cycle plated or jacketed 200 grain SWC's at any COL.
Those same rounds feed fine in a USP .45, HK 45 and Glock 21.
I just got the 21 and was a little concerned until I put 50 of those neat little Hornady jacketed SWC's through it. (1.270" COL) Hornady calls them FMJ-CT (combat target).
The Rainier 200 plated SWC's are almost as nice, and are fairly affordable. They shoot 100% at 1.260" COL.
Would like to try the 185 'round edge' plated SWC's from Berry's.

MP-In-The-Wind
08-02-2010, 12:36
I'll chime in with SWCs not working in my G30... No matter what I tried, COAL / crimp / powder levels...all added up to jams. Change over to FMJ or any JHP and no jams!!