Moving slide prior to disassembly [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving slide prior to disassembly

fortyofforty
08-01-2010, 10:24
Is it important to move the slide back slightly before I use the bushing wrench to loosen the bushing to disassemble my 1911? Does this help to insure the barrel/bushing lockup remains tight at the muzzle? Other than that, I can't see a point to trying to move the slide back. If so, how far do you guys retract the slide before moving the bushing? Thanks.

Quack
08-01-2010, 10:35
no, you remove the bushing with the slide forward.

an alternate method to removing the bushing (with GI rod and plug) that doesn't need a wrench.
i do this so that the bushing remains tight when locked up.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_9556.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_9560.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_9557.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_9558.jpg

i

Quack
08-01-2010, 10:38
and yet another method is to remove the slide, then remove the bushing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPrJNoFJQA

Jim Watson
08-01-2010, 10:49
If you have a tight bushing or a Colt Accurizor (collet) bushing, you should retract the slide a fraction of an inch so you don't "wring" the fit and gall the surfaces by horsing the bushing around. If you have a GI type with a good deal of clearance, it doesn't matter much.

Black Cloud
08-01-2010, 11:22
This isn't something I worry about, but I have seen people remove the slide first. Once the slide is removed, they take out the spring and rod from underneath before removing the bushing.

Retract slide, push in the slide stop, and gently help the slide forward.

fortyofforty
08-01-2010, 11:36
and yet another method is to remove the slide, then remove the bushing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPrJNoFJQA

I like the video! Thanks for the link.

SouthpawShootr
08-01-2010, 11:43
I'd never really given this any thought before. But, yeah, it is probably best to do it this way. FLGRs will force you to turn that bushing, though. Then again, it may be possible to remove FLGRs from the rear after dismounting the slide in manner demonstrated in the Ed Brown video.:dunno: I've never tried it.

Quack
08-01-2010, 11:45
I'd never really given this any thought before. But, yeah, it is probably best to do it this way. FLGRs will force you to turn that bushing, though. Then again, it may be possible to remove FLGRs from the rear after dismounting the slide in manner demonstrated in the Ed Brown video.:dunno: I've never tried it.

if it's a 2pc FLGR, you can do it, if you remove the front part of the FLGR.
not quite sure if you can do it with a 1pc, don't have any of those.

SouthpawShootr
08-01-2010, 11:52
if it's a 2pc FLGR, you can do it, if you remove the front part of the FLGR.
not quite sure if you can do it with a 1pc, don't have any of those.

I'm the other way around. I'll tolerate a 1-piece guiderod, but will replace a 2-piece without even giving it a chance.

Quack
08-01-2010, 12:23
2pc FLGR's don't other me. haven't had an issue with them backing out.

rsxr22
08-01-2010, 14:53
ive never had an issue with 2 piece rods either. However, i did change mine out for the GI setup in my TRP. I think im going to try out the video Quack posted about removing the slide first. I had a Brown bushing fit into my TRP and it is super tight and impossible to remove without a bushing wrench

CMG
08-01-2010, 15:14
ive never had an issue with 2 piece rods either. However, i did change mine out for the GI setup in my TRP. I think im going to try out the video Quack posted about removing the slide first. I had a Brown bushing fit into my TRP and it is super tight and impossible to remove without a bushing wrench

Sometimes that tightness is more bushing to slide, than bushing to barrel.

Try installing the bushing without the barrel to see.

Quack
08-01-2010, 15:48

Yep, the only guns of mine that need a bushing wrench are my guns from the Custom Shop.

rsxr22
08-01-2010, 16:39

I have... It is super tough to install into the slide without the barrel in place. I was going to take it back to the smith because ive never felt anything that tight, but it functions fine and some members just said to shoot it a bunch first and that a real tight bushing is a good thing

samuse
08-01-2010, 21:26
What kind of gun is it? On my Colts it doesn't matter, I just use my fingers, but my Baers are really tight.

On my Baers, I pull the slide back and insert a Bic ballpoint pen (universal Glock and 1911 disassembly tool:supergrin:) through the ejection port, into the magwell. Then you can let go of the slide and turn the bushing.

This will help you to not destroy a plastic bushing wrench.

HAIL CAESAR
08-01-2010, 21:41
If you have a tight bushing or a Colt Accurizor (collet) bushing, you should retract the slide a fraction of an inch so you don't "wring" the fit and gall the surfaces by horsing the bushing around. If you have a GI type with a good deal of clearance, it doesn't matter much.

That's about what I was going to say.

What kind of gun is it? On my Colts it doesn't matter, I just use my fingers, but my Baers are really tight.

On my Baers, I pull the slide back and insert a Bic ballpoint pen (universal Glock and 1911 disassembly tool:supergrin:) through the ejection port, into the magwell. Then you can let go of the slide and turn the bushing.

Huh, so I ain't the only one to use the special pen/marker tool???:rofl:

Just the stupid tight guns need the slide retracted to move the bushing.

rsxr22
08-01-2010, 21:50

It is a TRP, but has a fitted Brown bushing. I will try that technique tomorrow and let you know if it helped. Thank you for the advice!

faawrenchbndr
08-02-2010, 06:22
.... I pull the slide back and insert a Bic ballpoint pen (universal Glock and 1911 disassembly tool:supergrin:) through the ejection port, into the magwell. Then you can let go of the slide and turn the bushing......

I use the same technique on reassembley, however, I use a spent casing