Ultralight/Light gear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight/Light gear

Usingmyrights
08-01-2010, 11:48
I'm wanting to get an ultralight or light (both?) fishing setup. I'd like to try and spend under $120 for the rod/reel combo. What I'm looking at so far for rods is:

Uglystick Light Pro
Shimano Voltaeous
Fenwick/Abu Garcia Conolon

I'm wanting a 1piece rod 5'+

For reel:

Abu Garcia 101
Pflueger President
Pflueger Micro
I looked at an Avet reel as well that I liked but don't recall the model.

I'm wanting to use atleast 4lb line, and I've head that 10lb Fireline is supposed to be a similiar size to standed 4lb line, so I'm thinking that might be a good option as well. I'm open to any and all suggestions as long as it falls into the price range. I can go up a little if it'll get me a much better setup. My target species will be crappie, and smaller largemouth bass.

Usingmyrights
08-06-2010, 09:00
Anyone? Bueller?... Bueller? I'm open to ideas. Just looking for some reccommendations for a setup for the above mentioned fishing that'll be under $120 for the rod and reel unless its a really nice setup for not much more.

Dennis in MA
08-06-2010, 09:50
I've got one of them Shimano Sedona reels. Very nice reel. I don't have the smaller one (500 or 1000) - I've got the mid-size run (2500) strung with 12lb Berkley XL Smoothcast. I suspect it's more of a small-reel design they bumped up. The bail is MEGA-thin. The good thing is it's so thin and quirky that it forces me to flip it closed by hand.

I'm a bass man, so I don't use much ultra-light. I only have the 2500 to pitch unweighted worms and 1/4oz lures that my baitcasters won't throw. But the names you tossed out are all good ones.