Knife fighting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife fighting

Frontiersman101
08-01-2010, 12:49
I tried to post this a few days ago in the GATE knife forum. It never showed up. Have any of you taken a knife fighting class? Did you think it was worth taking? What did you learn? ........ Any thing you have to say on the subject please post your comments. Thanks

Jeepnik
08-01-2010, 13:27
I trained in Eskrima for a bit. Not your "traditional" knife fighting, but it incorporates not only the use of edged weapons but also empty handed fighting techniques as well. Truthfully, if you learn this skill, and have nothing more than a short "stick", unless you opponent is one heck of a fencing master, their blade wouldn't give them any advantage.

I specifically mention fencing because while training, one of the fellow was also into fencing. The light and very quick blade used in fencing was darned hard to defend against, and the reach it had was also a decided advantage.

tshadow6
08-07-2010, 19:45
I suggest you enroll in a martial arts class that emphasizes defense against knife attacks. The closer the class is to your house, the more likely you'll attend on a regular basis. Most instructors teach distance is your friend when it comes to the knife.

stgha
08-07-2010, 20:26
I hav ebeen teaching edged weapons tactics for a number of years.
A Knife clinic/class/seminar can teach you alot about edged weapons use. it's important to find one that will fit what you are interested in (offence/defence) though it is important to know both sides if you are at all going to use a blade for self protection.
a good Filipino martial arts class is a great place to learn alot of these things (I am a little biased as this is where I have gotten the bulk of my material) but it is important to research the system they teach as they don't all teach edged weapons/or as much as other systems do.

Steve

Great Googly Moogly
08-08-2010, 09:15
Knife fighting is great if you like pain and having scars. Many will never be able to mentally handle face to face life or death situations.

chineseboxer
08-08-2010, 11:15
I recommend you find an AMOK group near you if possible. Do some research on Tom Sotis. His system is top notch and brings you right to the meat of the system right from the start. His seminars are excellent and as real as you can get.

Edmo01
08-10-2010, 08:22
Even if you "win" a knife fight, you are going to get cut...

Edmo

stgha
08-11-2010, 05:02
Even if you "win" a knife fight, you are going to get cut...

Edmo
If you go into a fight with that mindset, that is what will happen. It's like saying "Even if you win a gunfight, you are going to get shot".
Of course your best bet is being aware enough to avoid the encounter, but if you cannot avoid it you should train with every intention of surviving it.
I'm not saying getting cut isn't a real possibilty, but it sure beats the alternative.

sns3guppy
08-12-2010, 07:30
As with any martial training, a "class" won't cut it. Unless you're prepared to commit yourself to some extended training, then a little knowledge will only be a dangerous thing...for you.

Knowing that you're going to get cut in a knife fight isn't a fatalistic mindset. It's understanding the realities before you make the commitment.

BossGodfrey
08-15-2010, 00:14
Gotta say the best class I took was from a retired army ranger. It was a no bull**** this is how to kill fast class, 3 hours and I practice the strikes even seven years later. The second best training I have found is is sayoc kali. I have never seen fast hands like that, as others have said the phillippine (sp) arts are about the best in the world for blade work. Sayoc kali is hard to find in most small towns in the US but it is welll worth it if you can find a class, rent the movie The Hunted with tommy lee jones if you want to see a little of what kali is all about. He studied sayoc for a couple of months in order to make that movie. I wish you well with your training,few people ever realize the knife as the the outstanding weapon that it is.