DIY webdesign worth it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DIY webdesign worth it?

DonMcnut
08-01-2010, 16:42
I am starting a small venture with some friends investing in some properties for rent in the area. We all decided that a website with a description of the properties we have as well as maybe an applet for doing an online credit check. No shopping cart, very simple but I have to be able to add, edit and remove listings fairly easily.

Would my best bet be to look for an all in one web host, domain and design tool like some of the big corporate guys offer?

AmericanGunWorks
08-01-2010, 16:49
Something like you need you might want to check out a page like squarespace.com

Pierre!
08-01-2010, 20:27
Wordpress would do this for you, and I think it would be pretty easy.

I know that in addition to the actual Wordpress software there is a Wordpress hosting site - Wordpress.com - and it looks like it may be free!

Here is the Features Link: http://en.wordpress.com/features/

Good Luck!

prism
08-01-2010, 23:10
I would keep the domain and webhosting at a different company than the design company.

you need to be able to change designs (and designers) without asking permission from the old designer.

AmericanGunWorks
08-02-2010, 00:38
While I agree with separating the companies you work with squarespace.com allows you to export your design if you choose to move hosting companies.

I used them for awhile but they didn't have a robust enough ecommerce system like I need for my business.

captainstormy
08-03-2010, 09:13
Honestly, for a business I would suggest hiring a pro. It takes more then putting the info on the web to make a good web site. It needs to look professional and be easy to use.

If this was just your website for some family reunion pictures or something that would be one thing, but you want a good website for your business.

steveksux
08-08-2010, 20:40
Honestly, for a business I would suggest hiring a pro. It takes more then putting the info on the web to make a good web site. It needs to look professional and be easy to use.

If this was just your website for some family reunion pictures or something that would be one thing, but you want a good website for your business.I agree.

Same goes for advertising, you could save a lot of money making your own commercials, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcONhxo3K2k

But sometimes cheaper isn't always worth the money you save.

Randy