Above all, guard against distractions! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Above all, guard against distractions!

GioaJack
08-01-2010, 17:07
Order your delivery pizza early, instruct the wife to wear frumpy, loose fitting non-arousal intended clothing and threaten the children with corporal punishment if they make any sound louder than a muted hissing of passing gas... TOP SHOT IS ON TONIGHT!

Unless you've been living in a cave even more remote than the one that houses Osama Bin Laden you know that the long awaited transition from team competition to individual accomplishment starts with this episode.

The tension and anticipation couldn't be greater if your daughter walked into the room with an EPT pregnancy test and announced her need to talk to you. The time has come to see which or our 'experts' can rise to the occasion and perform with guns and weapons alien to their normal comfort level

Will Denny surge to the lead with the help of a previously unannounced mounted horse competition and if so will he excuse his miserable performance because the horse was not the same color he normally rides?

Will the lone female competitor's performance be diminished by intestinal cramps or will she, in a PMS rage slaughter the other competitors and entire production crew?

Tune in and see it live, (on tape).

Part of tonight's competition involves knife throwing. Based on previous weeks performances many television critics and reviewers have expressed their disbelief that the contestants would actually be allowed to hold sharp objects but apparently contract obligations necessitated this obviously dangerous and risky endeavor. It is reported that additional ambulances and medical personnel were on hand for this segment.

It should be noted that much like the trick shot episode where the consensus of opinion seems to be that the shots are really not that difficult, (there was at least one dissenter as I recall. :whistling:), knife throwing is not difficult. Every major black powder competition has both knife and tomahawk throwing as part of the event. The secret is nothing more than walking off your distance from the throwing board to the point at which you will throw. Your normal throwing distance produces one complete revolution, doubling the distance produces two revolutions. Velocity and strength of throw is not an advantage and usually results in decreased accuracy. For you newbs out there, it is impossible to double charge a knife or tomahawk.

So, settle back, reach up and pull those safety belts tight one more time... BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY... LEYS WATCH TOP SHOT BOYS!

(I wonder if there's anything else on instead?)

Jack

WiskyT
08-01-2010, 17:13
I'm watching "Good Guys Wear Black". Chuck is kicking some major butt. Then I'll watch the best cop show ever, Barney Miller.

Colorado4Wheel
08-01-2010, 17:40
It's going to be a sucky episode from the looks of the previews. Knifes and sling shots.

bush pilot
08-01-2010, 17:44
It's going to be a sucky episode from the looks of the previews. Knifes and sling shots.

Aren't they all "sucky"?

WiskyT
08-01-2010, 17:46
Aren't they all "sucky"?

Damn Beaver pilot beat me to it.

WiskyT
08-01-2010, 17:48
Dana Andrews didn't age well.

Colorado4Wheel
08-01-2010, 17:52
Aren't they all "sucky"?

I do enjoy watching the young kid beat all the cocky guys. :whistling:

shotgunred
08-01-2010, 20:27
Denny finally makes his first shot.

GioaJack
08-01-2010, 21:04
Just as a combat troop knows his family needs him he understands his fellow troopers need him more; in this case Tara understood her family needed her more than her team.

From the perspective of one who no longer has parents I agree with her decision and personally would not begrudge her a spot on season two... if it lasts that long.

Jack

unclebob
08-01-2010, 21:13
Denny finally makes his first shot.

And he finally is going home.

Colorado4Wheel
08-01-2010, 21:15
Amen, Did you notice most people (60+%) wanted him to stay.

ron59
08-01-2010, 21:36

I saw that poll, and most wanted Peter to go? What was up with that? Denny performed terribly at pretty much everything, he should have gone home 2 episodes ago (the .45Colt shooting gallery).

"Well, if I was smart, I would have fired some live ammo before I came".

LOL WUT ?

ron59
08-01-2010, 21:38
But last week's promo was deceiving... I thought that the team to individual competition started this week (apparently Jack did too, see his OP).

Oh well... they weed out 3 next week, leaving 4 for the last episode. So 1-per week until the last 2 weeks, and they weed out 6 in 2 weeks. Weird way to do things.

unclebob
08-02-2010, 06:52

Where did you see this poll at?

Colorado4Wheel
08-02-2010, 07:35
Where did you see this poll at?

It popped up on the screen just before the elimination challenge.

unclebob
08-02-2010, 07:45
It popped up on the screen just before the elimination challenge.

I was on the treadmill when I was watching the show. Looks like I missed that

Colorado4Wheel
08-02-2010, 07:51
I was on the treadmill when I was watching the show. Looks like I missed that

Just before the challenge. I went back and looked

"Who should go home?
64% Voted for Pete
36% Voted for Denny

Unbelievable.

But that just means the shows a success because most the people watching it are idiots. The poll proves it.

ALSO, Did you notice Denny practiced with a slingshot before the show started. He picks up a slingshot for practice but not a gun. Jeez.

IndyGunFreak
08-02-2010, 07:59
I do enjoy watching the young kid beat all the cocky guys. :whistling:

So do I.. I was actually surprised they didn't send him to be eliminated.

Just as a combat troop knows his family needs him he understands his fellow troopers need him more; in this case Tara understood her family needed her more than her team.

From the perspective of one who no longer has parents I agree with her decision and personally would not begrudge her a spot on season two... if it lasts that long.

Jack

I agree... it's good to be there for the team, but in the end, this is a game, not combat, and she needed to be home. If there's a 2nd season, I definitely think she should be given a shot.

IGF

unclebob
08-02-2010, 08:24
Just before the challenge. I went back and looked

"Who should go home?
64% Voted for Pete
36% Voted for Denny

Unbelievable.

But that just means the shows a success because most the people watching it are idiots. The poll proves it.

ALSO, Did you notice Denny practiced with a slingshot before the show started. He picks up a slingshot for practice but not a gun. Jeez.

Just wondering where the poll was, so that people could vote? I donít remember anything that said where too go too vote. Most of the time I record the show and watch latter. Just so I donít have too listen too the commercials. So it could be very possible that I missed where too go too vote.

ron59
08-02-2010, 09:07
Yeah, I missed the "go here to vote" notice, but did see the poll pop up.

Denny might be a "great guy", but not having shot live ammo in 10 years? Shame on the casting producers for even selecting this guy. It's obvious to me that they picked "characters" over actual shooters. Okay, they did get *some* real shooters, but that should have been the focus, not the drama.

tjpet
08-02-2010, 12:12
Whoever picked the participants for TS did a poor job. Overall, they're pathetic. A better cast would have been the instructers. I watched the first couple shows then started watching a CD I have of paint drying. Much more entertaining.

IndyGunFreak
08-02-2010, 12:17
Whoever picked the participants for TS did a poor job. Overall, they're pathetic. A better cast would have been the instructers. I watched the first couple shows then started watching a CD I have of paint drying. Much more entertaining.

I dunno.. It's not THAT bad. Could it be better? Of course it could. I've thought it was OK for the most part.

IGF

unclebob
08-02-2010, 12:46
Yeah, I missed the "go here to vote" notice, but did see the poll pop up.

Denny might be a "great guy", but not having shot live ammo in 10 years? Shame on the casting producers for even selecting this guy. It's obvious to me that they picked "characters" over actual shooters. Okay, they did get *some* real shooters, but that should have been the focus, not the drama.

Went back and watched the tape of the show. You had too send a text of who you wanted too vote for. And it was only about 10 minutes from the time they showed the vote for, until they showed the results.
As for Denny I donít think he even told the producers that he had not shot live ammo in 10 years. Looks and personality I think had a lot to do in who got on the show.
I do think that next week well be interesting. I still think it well come down too Kelly and JJ and maybe Iain. I hope Adam is one of the next oneís too go. Just because of his back stabbing of whom he wanted too eliminate.

hackinpeat
08-02-2010, 13:28
All I can say is I have been rootin for Kelly since episode #2, I like the kid.

Knives and slingshots didn't bore me one bit. I have some of both myself, I take the slingshot hiking in case I get lost and need food.... I'd hate to have to pick the few morsels of squirrel out of tree bark to get a meal after dusting one with a 9mm lol.

Seriously, the show does have its stupid drama, and it really isn't the best way to find the best shot, but the challenges look fun and give me new ideas.

WiskyT
08-02-2010, 15:58
ALL reality shows are ghey. TS is a reality show. It's probably like The View with guns instead of ******s. I say probaly because I tuned after the first episode before the commercial even came on. Y'all need to turn your mancards in. What next, are you guys going to argue over who had the best hair?

shotgunred
08-02-2010, 16:26
I am pretty sure it was the chick.

But more importantly does this gun make my butt look big?

WiskyT
08-02-2010, 16:27
I am pretty sure it was the chick.

:supergrin:.....