.22 LR vs .17HMR for squirrel hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR vs .17HMR for squirrel hunting?

rome2240sw
08-01-2010, 20:34
I know squirrel season isnt until winter but i wanted to find out information on a new riffle. I currently shoot a Winchester Model 67 bolt action .22LR for squirrels but someone had a .17HMR semi auto for sale and i was wondering does it shoot better and is it more affective than the .22? Is it a good round for squirrels, rabbits and other small game? possibly critters like possums, coons, and foxes?

sharpshooter
08-02-2010, 09:29
Yes. Yes. And yes.

rallyrs01
08-02-2010, 10:22
IMO .17hmr is far superior to .22lr in every aspect. I have a Savage .17 bolt action and have shot a couple squirrels and they do not stand a chance. As far as a .17hmr semi-auto goes I would do some more research if I were you because I know a couple manufacturers of .17hmr ammo have warning labels saying not for use in semi-auto. Just get a bolt action .17hmr and go to town.

RedHaze
08-02-2010, 12:08
.17HMR flat at smokes small critters.

It's more expensive to shoot though.

Glock19Fan
08-02-2010, 13:08
First of all, I agree with the above, you should probably stay away from a semi auto .17HMR. They had a lot of issues to the point where I believe they were all discontinued.

As far as the hunting aspect, I have both the .22LR and the .17HMR. I have bagged plenty of squirrels with the .22LR, but have yet to kill one with the .17HMR. Just never spotted one long enough to get a good shot with the .17HMR. But in general shooting, the .17HMR is pretty awesome. Very flat shooting, accurate, and in my testing the bullets do some pretty amazing damage for their size.

Personally I think the decision comes down to whether or not you want to spend the extra money on a new rifle and slightly more expensive ammo. It should be no suprise the .17HMR is more than enough to take down the little critters, and does so with great precision.

BTW I have a Savage and love it. :wavey:

at_liberty
08-02-2010, 13:22
The .22LR is a 50 yard gun, the .22 Magnum a 100 yard gun, and the .17 HMR as a 200 yard gun. I have had and used all three on ground hogs. For squirrels I would be thinking close range and pick a 22. Unless I had a ground shot, I would have no business firing a .17 HMR up into the trees, to land who knows where.

FullClip
08-02-2010, 13:44
Think if you plan on eating the tree-rats...the the .22 is the way to go. If you want to nuke them, go with the .17.:wow:

I've used both to help keep the squirrel population in check around me. (little nasty red-squirrels) and the .17 is overkill...but fun. I'd go with the .22 as ammo is much cheaper and has been doing the job for a long, long time...more selection in rifles, quieter, and doesn't dismember the rodents.

Njanear
08-02-2010, 19:21
Now if you want a GREAT squirrel caliber, get a .17 Hornady Mach 2. It is accurate, relatively inexpensive, and won't explode your target into smithereens - it will readily knock down squirrels with head shots at a pretty good distance. You might have to look a while to find one but they are indeed worth it. :cool:

Great Googly Moogly
08-02-2010, 19:46
Think if you plan on eating the tree-rats...the the .22 is the way to go. If you want to nuke them, go with the .17.:wow:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

sharpshooter
08-02-2010, 21:45
If you only take head shots, it doesn't matter what caliber you use, you won't ruin any meat.

The 17 allows more accurate shots at longer distances and works fantastic.

22lr works great too especially if you have hollow point ammo that is very accurate in your rifle. However, most 22's simply are not accurate enough to make consistent head shots past 25 yards or so.

rome2240sw
08-02-2010, 22:36
Thanks for all the great info. And i was kinda looking to go from bolt action to something that packs a few more rounds. So a Ruger 10/22 with a scope doesnt seem to bad. Thought about going after the squirrels with a break down for 10 but all im looking to do with that is frighten the other big squirrels feeding and scurriging the grounds and trees.

any problems with a Ruger 10/22 with mabye a folding stock?

rome2240sw
08-02-2010, 22:41

I've used both to help keep the squirrel population in check around me. (little nasty red-squirrels) and the .17 is overkill...but fun. I'd go with the .22 as ammo is much cheaper and has been doing the job for a long, long time...more selection in rifles, quieter, and doesn't dismember the rodents.

No one could have said it better. Had me laughing with the nuke them part. But i dont believe the .22 is bad. Has been getting me great results so far just wanted to know about the .17HMR since i see the ammo in walmart alot.

As far as hunting squirrels go I usually go with the Winchester Super Sonic HP rounds or the CCI mini mag .22LR ammo. NEITHER is a bad choice if your looking for 1 or 2 shot kills as well as you can see where the bullet expanded. They both work great for knocking squirrels from 30 to 40 ft in the tree with the wincheter model 67.

srt-4_jon
08-07-2010, 16:30
Now if you want a GREAT squirrel caliber, get a .17 Hornady Mach 2. It is accurate, relatively inexpensive, and won't explode your target into smithereens - it will readily knock down squirrels with head shots at a pretty good distance. You might have to look a while to find one but they are indeed worth it. :cool:
+1 to HM2.

Same price as decent .22lr ammo and flat shooting like the 17HMR. I love my 17HMR but the 17HM2 is my next bolt action. Savage makes their MK2 in 17HM2. The only thing the HMR has over the HM2 for squirrel hunting is distance.

txgunguy
08-07-2010, 16:40
+1 to HM2.

Same price as decent .22lr ammo and flat shooting like the 17HMR. I love my 17HMR but the 17HM2 is my next bolt action. Savage makes their MK2 in 17HM2. The only thing the HMR has over the HM2 for squirrel hunting is distance.

My HM2 has been awesome. I've never shot any squirrels with it but it is a powerful little round. Alot louder than a .22 and still pretty cheap ammo. It's around 6 or 7 dollars a box. Even cheaper online.

1985 4Runner
08-07-2010, 16:52
My 22lr Marlins have killed many squirrels.

Never had the need for a 17HMR. But I would get one if I had the extra money.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/gulfportfire/025.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/gulfportfire/ImportedPhotos00067.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/gulfportfire/ImportedPhotos00065.jpg

22lr is plenty effective for larger game as well. It's all about shot placement & ammo.

I use CCI Segmented Subsonic.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/gulfportfire/006.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/gulfportfire/ImportedPhotos00022.jpg

vafish
08-08-2010, 17:57

I use a .17 HMR on squirrels.

It's superior accuracy makes head shots easy. No meat wasted with a head shot.

Now if you do take body shots with the .17 gr ballistic tips you will have a small mess on your hands.

cmspeedy
08-10-2010, 02:39
As much as i love my savage .17 tackdriver, it just shreds squirrels. I use it when hunting my buddies farm and we have lots of ground shots at distance. Rips them in half. Most of the time i would prefer a 22. Especially if eating the tree rats.

marvin
08-10-2010, 10:36
just how much more accurate is the .17? just about any .22 i've ever owned shot pretty darn good, i've never had a problem hitting the head of a squirrel while hunting.
not saying don't get a 17, heck any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one as far as i'm concrened.

good hunting

Gunnut 45/454
08-10-2010, 12:58
sharpshooter
I don't know what 22LR you've been shooting, but my old Springfield semi is more then accurate enough to take head shots at or beyond 100 yards at Squirrels! I've killed hundreds of them this way! I mainly use it on Wissle Pigs now here in ID and rutinely kill them at 100+ yards with head shots! All the bullets for the 17 HMR are varmit bullets ment to explode! So head shots are the only shot to take on tree Squirrel you plan to eat! Anything else will ruin the little meat you have to eat on Squirrels! The 17 maybe a great round but its better for things you don't eat! The 22LR is and always will be the game getter cartridge! :supergrin:

vafish
08-11-2010, 13:29
just how much more accurate is the .17? just about any .22 i've ever owned shot pretty darn good, i've never had a problem hitting the head of a squirrel while hunting.
not saying don't get a 17, heck any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one as far as i'm concrened.

good hunting

My Savage 93R17FV consistently shoots 5 shot groups under 3/4" at 100 yards.

My daughters Anschutz target rifle has trouble doing that and it cost 10 times what the Savage did.

marvin
08-11-2010, 14:59
My Savage 93R17FV consistently shoots 5 shot groups under 3/4" at 100 yards.

My daughters Anschutz target rifle has trouble doing that and it cost 10 times what the Savage did.

thats a mighty good shooting gun, then agian Savages always seem to be shooters.

but at normal squirrel ranges just about any 22 will do.

Glock19Fan
08-12-2010, 09:03
For what its worth, not all .17HMR bullets are ballistic tips. CCI offers a slightly less explosive JHP, IIRC named TNT. They also have a 20 grain FMJ, although I am not sure how effective that would be on game.

I also remember there being a Hornady XTP, although I dont remember seeing it in stores, but I am sure it can be found on the internet.

Berto
08-12-2010, 10:32
It really comes down to what you want to do with a dead squirrel.

ssfeldjager
08-12-2010, 16:16
If you only take head shots, it doesn't matter what caliber you use, you won't ruin any meat.

The 17 allows more accurate shots at longer distances and works fantastic.

22lr works great too especially if you have hollow point ammo that is very accurate in your rifle. However, most 22's simply are not accurate enough to make consistent head shots past 25 yards or so.

Head shots? I always shoot them in the right eye, from no less than 500 yards. :tongueout:

srt-4_jon
08-12-2010, 18:45

good hunting
The other thing to keep in mind is the bullet trajectory. 17HMR and 17HM2 are extremely flat shooting rounds. Sighted in at 100 yards, between 25-125 yards the bullet will only be off a max of 1" low (at 125 yards). Between 25-100 yards, the most it will be off is 1/2" low at 25 yards.

marvin
08-13-2010, 15:11
The other thing to keep in mind is the bullet trajectory. 17HMR and 17HM2 are extremely flat shooting rounds. Sighted in at 100 yards, between 25-125 yards the bullet will only be off a max of 1" low (at 125 yards). Between 25-100 yards, the most it will be off is 1/2" low at 25 yards.

at longer ranges the 17 wins hands down. but walking through the woods shooting squirrels out of trees it's just not needed.

don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with using or even wanting a 17. just that most .22's are more than enough for the job, plus you can shoot a lot more for the same money if that matters.

Sharky7
08-13-2010, 16:53
I just took out a vole this morning in my yard that was eating my plants using a 22LR.

Used the ruger 10/22 loaded with CCI Hollowpoint. Literally exploded his head, found bits of it close to 5-7 feet away. Worked well for me, voles are just a bit smaller than squirrels.

rome2240sw
08-16-2010, 23:44
It really comes down to what you want to do with a dead squirrel.

I kinda like to shoot them for fun, but my grandfathers' friends often put in orders or pay me to round them up a few squirrels for them. I've had stewed squirrel befor and I believe thats what they do with them.

But i do think i will try me a semi auto 22LR. I already have a bolt action 22 that I am pretty accurate with. May get a ruger 10/22 or something similar to it. I use to own a semi-automatic marlin but that got stolen by my junkie cousin years ago.

vafish
08-17-2010, 08:20

good hunting

My savage 93R17FV consistently shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yards of less then 3/4".

Haven't seen many .22 LR's that will do that, and the ones I have seen cost about 10 times what I paid for the Savage.

Also if there is any wind the .22LR gets blown around much worse then the .17 HMR does.

snakeman
08-17-2010, 10:21
I hunt squirrels alot. I shoot around 200 of them a season. I have shot them with both the .17 HMR and the .22. I found the .17 HMR to be a little destructive even with head shots sometimes. I went back to shooting the .22 and haven't looked back. In the last couple of seasons I have been shooting a Marlin model 60 with irons only shooting CCI Mini-Mags. Seems to be working for me.

snakeman

SDGlock23
08-17-2010, 11:28
I vote .22. I had a .17 HMR Savage and while it did shoot good, you don't need one for squirrel. .22 is much cheaper, and it's plenty accurate enough for most anything that needs killin' with a rimfire.