Help me replace stock sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me replace stock sights

silverbear
08-02-2010, 14:02
Hi all, I want to replace my stock sights and would be interested in getting feedback on your favorite sight set up for CCW and tactical shooting. I would be curious to get feedback on Advantage Tactical sights as there appears to be little feedback I can find other than their website. Thx!

ps I did take a black sharpie to the white U on the rear sight and that made me feel better! :cool:

AaronZR2
08-02-2010, 18:11
I have a XS big dot on my G19 and love it

RayB
08-03-2010, 05:24
My Night Sight Review might be of some use to you, so here it is...

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and usually have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

RMD
08-03-2010, 08:44
I have a XS big dot on my G19 and love it

Same here.

Love 'em on my G26 as well.

silverbear
08-04-2010, 09:26
My instructor suggested a ledge type of rear sight configuration for single handed slide manipulation. My preference right now is the Ameriglo GL-433, substituting a flat notch rear sight for the one in the combo. I love the orange / green front site combo.

Anybody have any experience with the GL-433 combo?

Glockwork Orange
08-04-2010, 09:30
Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and usually have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Agreed on the Glock OEM made by Mepro...although the Glock front sights are now thread on!

whatsupglock
08-04-2010, 09:30
Check out the Warren Tactical sights. Lot of guys I know use them. I have Trijicons. If I would have known about Warren Tactical sights when I put the trijicons on I would have gotten warrens. I shoot Warren/Sevigny competition sights on my 34.

silverbear
08-04-2010, 11:09
Check out the Warren Tactical sights. Lot of guys I know use them. I have Trijicons. If I would have known about Warren Tactical sights when I put the trijicons on I would have gotten warrens. I shoot Warren/Sevigny competition sights on my 34.

The Warren tactical two dot are the other set on the list. I just really like the green on orange front sight of the Ameriglos.

RayB
08-04-2010, 23:48
1) Agreed on the Glock OEM made by Mepro...

2) although the Glock front sights are now thread on!

1) :israelflag:

2) Maybe so. I knew the night sights as delivered by the OEM were staked on, while any slide sent in for night sights were usually fitted with threaded front sights... If they're all threaded now, that would be good to know! ;)

Of course, if what you're saying is a running change, people will still encounter the staked-on sights from time to time. :dunno:

I know that when sending in a slide to the OEM, you can request and get Trijicon sights as well! :thumbsup:

--Ray

Wriggly
08-05-2010, 11:27
RayB
Great review, that just about sums it up.

After much consideration and some experimentation, I have come to the personal conclusion that a good tactical light is more important on a Glock for home defense.

On the other hand, if you are an LEO or are carrying concealed, then good night sites are a good investment. If you have the resources to afford both, then by all means do so. But if you are like me, and live in the Nazi state of Illinois, there is no practical reason to have night sights on a gun that is used to protect the home. A good tactical light is a prerequisite to indentifying intruders and threat levels anyway, and a tactical light will make night sights a moot point.

ren
08-06-2010, 10:48
Hi all, I want to replace my stock sights and would be interested in getting feedback on your favorite sight set up for CCW and tactical shooting. I would be curious to get feedback on Advantage Tactical sights as there appears to be little feedback I can find other than their website. Thx!

ps I did take a black sharpie to the white U on the rear sight and that made me feel better! :cool:

Silverbear, I just want to let you know that we will debut our "night sights" at the 2011 shot show in Jan. They will be an upgrade for everyone who currently has an ATS. The technology, which is now under the patent process, will not involve tritium. We've just finished testing prototypes of this new technology and they work even better than expected. When the patent process is a little further along, I will announce the technology on the forums as well as our website and in magazine advertisements. One will be able to purchase an ATS with the night sight option or, for those who already have an ATS, one may purchase it separately. This night sight option will allow a shooter to see one's ATS, in the colors he or she has chosen, very clearly in the darkest of environments, yet it will not be so bright as to kick back light on the face of the shooter in a dark room, or so constrict the pupils of the shooter that the target, already darkened, would not be visible.

ren

moose drool
08-06-2010, 12:38
I should be receiving a set of 10-8 Performance sights today. Tritium front, black rear. Hilton and family were great to deal with and fast shipping.

silverbear
08-06-2010, 14:28
ren - looking forward to seeing what you come up with. for my particular situation, my instructor feels that the more traditional sight sets for SD / carry weapon makes more sense from the "shoot whatever slides across the floor" perspective.

as far as sights, it looks like the heinie ledge straight eight provide the best solution to what I'm looking for. rear sight provides the ability to do one hand slide manipulation and its a two dot design, like i want. also saw the JohnO mod from pistol training and that looks like a great mod for day time visibility, unfortunately not sure if I can do that on the serrated front heinie sight.

ren
08-06-2010, 17:40
ren - looking forward to seeing what you come up with. for my particular situation, my instructor feels that the more traditional sight sets for SD / carry weapon makes more sense from the "shoot whatever slides across the floor" perspective.

as far as sights, it looks like the heinie ledge straight eight provide the best solution to what I'm looking for. rear sight provides the ability to do one hand slide manipulation and its a two dot design, like i want. also saw the JohnO mod from pistol training and that looks like a great mod for day time visibility, unfortunately not sure if I can do that on the serrated front heinie sight.

We've had feedback from handicapped shooters that do one handed slide manipulation with the ATS, too. Good luck with your search

ren

silverbear
08-06-2010, 19:52
We've had feedback from handicapped shooters that do one handed slide manipulation with the ATS, too. Good luck with your search

ren

Looking at your rear sight, I would say one hand chambering would be very do-able. I like your concept, I wish I could see some here in Houston.

ren
08-07-2010, 11:51
Looking at your rear sight, I would say one hand chambering would be very do-able. I like your concept, I wish I could see some here in Houston.

Well, if you ever decide to try it sight unseen, we do have a full refund policy for an undamaged sight. On another note, our Glock sights are really easy to install. Anyone can do it, and you won't need special tools. Our newest rear sights drift in by finger pressure alone, yet they lock up tightly when the set screw is tightened. Our Glock front sight base snaps in to the hole on top of the slide where the Glock front sight was, and any of the colored front sights slide into the base. Our dovetail front sights for other pistols are a press fit. The ATS is customizable to your eyes and your load and you probably will not have gunsmith expenses.

ren