Taurus PT1911-Should I Pop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT1911-Should I Pop?

BayouGlocker
08-02-2010, 16:36
At a local pawn shop, I've found a black framed Taurus PT1911, the sides of the slide appear to be stainless, altho the top, back, and inside the slide serrations are black. I'm not good at telling the difference tween types of finishes.... It has ambi safties, which I'm kinda "bla" about, but the fact that they're extended is a plus for me. Novak sights. Pachmyer (sp?) rubberized grips, that are way bigger than I'd want to carry with, but they are comfy to hold. It comes with (I think) an Ed Brown 8 round mag with a thick rubber padded base.

The price is $415 or 425, can't remember for sure. Should I pop? I realize that there are plenty reasons NOT to buy a Taurus 1911--it seems that you either love or hate the guns. They work, or they don't. For this price, I'm tempted to buy it as a first 1911. If it works then I'd have an ok set up for a first steel gun. If not, could I get most of my money back out of it?

jrs93accord
08-02-2010, 16:46
I would look for a new or used Rock Island Armory 1911A1 instead. For the same amount of money, you will get a better pistol.

dakrat
08-02-2010, 16:51
no pop.

ctfireman
08-02-2010, 16:52
To those who don't know 1911's inside & out (myself included) they appear nice & have all the modern doodads. Thanks to people here, i didn't jump on it when i had the same chance, mint gun & similar price. You can get a few different 1911's brand new for that price & get a higher quality 1911. The experts will be along any minute.

38 Super Fan
08-02-2010, 16:52
I agree with JR. A new RIA is gonna run about $425 and is in my opinion a better gun.

RonS
08-02-2010, 16:53
Do you have duck decoys you need to keep from floating away?

bac1023
08-02-2010, 16:58

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

bac1023
08-02-2010, 16:59
Yeah, stay away from the Taurus PT1911.

There are far better 1911s on the market for the same price.

CMG
08-02-2010, 17:07
I've only examined both in a local shop, without firing them, but based on that I think the Rock Island Tactical model is a better choice than the Taurus PT1911. New, the RIA was only $445 and has a beaver-tail grip safety (which is the starting point for any 1911 I'd buy) as well as Novak-style sights.

zhix
08-02-2010, 17:29
I saw a guy in a local pawn shop the other day carrying a Taurus 1911. I was thinking 2 things: 1.) I wouldn't be protecting my life with that and 2.) Is this guy CCing or OCing? - it was in an OWB open top literally hanging from his pants that looked they could fall down any minute sticking halfway out from his shirt.

Also, guy I know just bought a taurus 45 used, but I don't know if it was the PT1911. He took it out to shoot it and it went full auto. I told him to take it back cause if the shop owner refused to take it back he could threaten him with selling him a machine pistol. Instead he talked him into "having his gunsmith work with taurus to fix it and they might even send you a brand new gun." I told him seeing as its used I doubt thats going to happen. I personally I am not sure I would even want a "free" taurus. That said I have never owned a Taurs and probably never will.

remat
08-02-2010, 17:43
For a little more $ I would save and get a RIA/Citadel/etc, or a Springfield. I think you would be a lot happier in the long run. Take a closer look at the so-called "custom" features and components they use.

glock2740
08-02-2010, 17:46
I say jump all over it. You're getting a $2000 custom 1911 for a little over $400. :whistling:

3.....2.....1.....blast off:rofl:

SouthpawShootr
08-02-2010, 18:00

That's original. Really. :rofl:

SouthpawShootr
08-02-2010, 18:10
I have one. The stainless is pretty decent finish-wise. That takes care of one criticism. I didn't like the ambi-safety, so I decided to replace it. The original fire control parts were so far out of spec that the new, oversized safety wouldn't work (metal needed to be added apparently). Truth be told, I already had a Cylinder and Slide Professional Trigger Pull Set (IOW, everything pre-fitted, except the safety). So this was my indoctrination to the world of parts replacement of the 1911. I had to fit the safety and that was educational. I went real slow and got it perfect IMNSHO. It went smoothly with a whole bunch of cussing :rant::burn: while I was trying to put that cursed series 80 firing pin safety back in. I had to replace the hammer strut too as the original looked nasty.

If you're not getting it to tinker with, I'd say pass, Even at that price there are better. My RIA Tactical was $450 NIB and I like it much more.

maxniman
08-02-2010, 18:11
I would look for a new or used Rock Island Armory 1911A1 instead. For the same amount of money, you will get a better pistol.

I agree

Shortimer
08-02-2010, 18:43
I have a RI Compact & have had the 5 in Tac. They both were very good basic 1911s & have always exceeded my expectations. I have read very few positive remarks about the PT1911 & even though I usually take internet chatter with a grain of salt their has been so many neg posts about this gun I would pass. Do your homework & good luck

Trey83
08-02-2010, 18:52
Based on my bad experience with Taurus' autos I am on the "NO" boat.

rsxr22
08-02-2010, 20:04
I have nothing good to say about taurus autos, minus the PT92. And i dislike their 1911 line more than any of their other models

Pipedreamer
08-02-2010, 20:33
I have a RI Compact & have had the 5 in Tac. They both were very good basic 1911s & have always exceeded my expectations. I have read very few positive remarks about the PT1911 & even though I usually take internet chatter with a grain of salt their has been so many neg posts about this gun I would pass. Do your homework & good luck
Agreed!!!

bac1023
08-02-2010, 20:36
I have nothing good to say about taurus autos, minus the PT92. And i dislike their 1911 line more than any of their other models

Yeah, the PT92 is really the only Taurus auto I like.

BayouGlocker
08-02-2010, 22:54
Gracias. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses. I spoze stepping into a gun shop and seeing a shiny 1911 just gets my fever running...

I'm leaning towards the Metro Arms American Classic. I know I want an alloy frame, and/or a shorter slide, but it's hard to wait to have cash on hand. Oh the woes of poor college student-ness....

DAT85
08-03-2010, 03:28
Gracias. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses. I spoze stepping into a gun shop and seeing a shiny 1911 just gets my fever running...

I'm leaning towards the Metro Arms American Classic. I know I want an alloy frame, and/or a shorter slide, but it's hard to wait to have cash on hand. Oh the woes of poor college student-ness....

For what it's worth,at the gunshop I work at,our Taurus 1911's have been total dogs when it comes to sales as well as reliability.I sell twice as many ACII's as any other 1911's that we stock.
I haven't had to send any back to the factory for any warranty work.
I can't say that about the Taurus.:steamed:

Regards,
DAT85

BayouGlocker
08-03-2010, 08:48
Dat, what state is your shop in? I'd rather do business with a GT member... :whistling:

Anyways, I've read on a blog somewhere that they're spozed to come out with a commander version of the AC. Is there any way to confirm or check into that? I can't find a website for it.... :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2010, 09:06
I think I'd pass

:tongueout:

ctfireman
08-03-2010, 10:48

The american classic is awesome so far. It eats any ammo & has not had a single hiccup. The action is smooth & trigger is nice. Awesome for the price.

ArmoryDoc
08-03-2010, 13:47
I can only think of one reason not to buy a Taurus. The "name".

DAT85
08-04-2010, 02:58
[QUOTE=BayouGlocker;15746425]Dat, what state is your shop in? I'd rather do business with a GT member... :whistling:

NCH GUNS in Cincinnati Ohio.And,if any GT member finds themselves in Cincy on a Saturday,please stop in!:wavey:
We are like Floyd's barber shop with guns!

Sorry for the thread jack!
DAT85

Lawman118
08-14-2010, 07:34
As a law enforcement officer with limited funds, my PT 1911 has been a real shooter. I carry it off-duty and on special details. It has never failed to fire and has eaten everything I've fed it. Several of the guys on my department, including two of our firearms instructors, have either purchased one or made plans to. I know, I know, I read all the posts from the Taurus haters, but I had to go by what I know. I also work at a local pawn shop part time, and our RIA and American Classics are pieces of crap. We can't give them away. The Taurus PT1911s are generally sold in a couple of days; that is, when they come in. And we have never had to send one back to the factory.
Just a little opinion from the front lines.

ArmoryDoc
08-14-2010, 07:40
I'm glad you've found an affordable 1911. Hopefully it continues to serve you well.

SouthpawShootr
08-14-2010, 07:47
Interesting. My favorite local shop seems to be the opposite. They can't keep the RIAs in stock. I asked the owner once why that was so. He told me that I usually make my shop runs on Saturdays and Sundays. They get their shipments on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The RIAs blow out of there quickly. He just has a set number that he orders at a time. When he gets them, they get divided by people who have placed orders and the showcase. One day I managed to snag a RIA Tactical that had been sitting in the case just a couple days. As far as the American Classics go, I haven't seen any of them in the flesh. Nobody carries them around here. :dunno:

My PT1911 is stainless, has a rail, and sat in the case for a month (that I know of) before I bought it. I made a couple of changes (new grips, replaced the ambi safety with a single sided, and installed one of Cylinder & Slide's pre-fitted trigger pull sets) that were purely my personal choice. I like my Taurus, but my RIA Tactical has lots of the same features for $200 less.

MD357
08-14-2010, 08:08
As a law enforcement officer with limited funds, my PT 1911 has been a real shooter. I carry it off-duty and on special details. It has never failed to fire and has eaten everything I've fed it. Several of the guys on my department, including two of our firearms instructors, have either purchased one or made plans to. I know, I know, I read all the posts from the Taurus haters, but I had to go by what I know. I also work at a local pawn shop part time, and our RIA and American Classics are pieces of crap. We can't give them away. The Taurus PT1911s are generally sold in a couple of days; that is, when they come in. And we have never had to send one back to the factory.

It's not really the "front lines" unless you're carrying it on duty now is it? :cool:

Around here, I've never heard a LE officer say they trust Taurus with their life, either as a primary or BUG. You also can't find a RIA or AC to save your life, but you can sure find PT1911s sitting on the shelves. Mostly because they really aren't the same "bargain" they used to be after raising their prices.

faawrenchbndr
08-14-2010, 08:22
.... I carry it off-duty and on special details. It has never failed to fire and has eaten everything I've fed it.....

Wow,....is Barney Fife the Chief?! :dunno:
I would never trust my life to a Taurus PT1911. It's not about being a "hater"
it's about common sense and lack of manufacturing quality.

I sure hope you have a GOOD back-up weapon!

ambluemax
08-14-2010, 10:34
You couldn't give me a Taurus. All the people I know who own one regret it.

ComeAndGetThem
08-14-2010, 12:15
I had a Taurus REVOLVER that wouldn't even work! I just cringe when I hear people say positive things about them.

ctfireman
08-14-2010, 13:08
What kind of issues did you have with taurus revolvers? Just curious.

Frog1
08-14-2010, 14:54
Welcome to the Taurus haters club. I have owned the Phillippine made guns, Govt contract guns, and some of the midtear 1911's including Colt, Springfield Armory, and Smith & Wesson. I also own a Taurus.

The Armscorp guns are good for the price. But they are not better than a Taurus. I have had my Taurus completely disassembled and have noticed the fitting and polishing is very good for a Inexpensive gun. The safeties falling off can be corrected by a drop of blue loctite and shouldn't happen anyway if you don't mess with the grips.
Mine has been dead nuts reliable and accurate for two years. It rivals my more expensive guns for accuracy at 25yds. All the Taurus haters don't like stories like this.

Magus
08-14-2010, 15:29
Welcome to the Taurus haters club. I have owned the Phillippine made guns, Govt contract guns, and some of the midtear 1911's including Colt, Springfield Armory, and Smith & Wesson. I also own a Taurus.

The Armscorp guns are good for the price. But they are not better than a Taurus. I have had my Taurus completely disassembled and have noticed the fitting and polishing is very good for a Inexpensive gun. The safeties falling off can be corrected by a drop of blue loctite and shouldn't happen anyway if you don't mess with the grips.
Mine has been dead nuts reliable and accurate for two years. It rivals my more expensive guns for accuracy at 25yds. All the Taurus haters don't like stories like this.

Seriously?! Loctite the safety? Don't mess with the grips? And you're defending the Taurus as being a well made 1911? :faint:

You really need to think about what you just said.

faawrenchbndr
08-14-2010, 16:39

Great story! Good to hear of your continued LUCK with your Taurus.
I just ask, IF you carry a PT1911 for defense for your families lives,
please also carry a quality backup weapon.

MD357
08-14-2010, 16:56

Yeah, so you're saying the fitting is very good so long as you keep some loctite in your pocket and you don't remove the grips. Got it.

bac1023
08-14-2010, 16:57

:welcome:

Curious first post.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion, but I'll take any of the Filipino 1911s over the PT1911 any day of the week.

Maybe I'd think differently if I were on the "front lines". ;)

bac1023
08-14-2010, 17:01

:rofl:

Now that takes the cake.

I've seen people try to defend that POS 1911, but never in such a crazy way.

I'll add that indeed Armscor 1911s are good guns and that they're much better than the Taurus and sell for $100-$200 less. :whistling:

tjpet
08-15-2010, 08:30
I have a first year PT1911 with 25,000+ rounds through it. A few recoil spring/buffer changes but, other then that, the gun just keeps chugging along. Plenty accurate, too.

After reading all the bad press I decided a couple years ago to use it for all my gun games until the "inevitable" problems arose. So far, so good - zero malfunctions.

Except for the initial brake-in period using a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 230grn. FMJs all ammo since has been a handload consisting of a 200grn. LSWC loaded to 900fps.

FLIPPER 348
08-15-2010, 08:36
Get the Taurus and shoot it well and often. If the ambi-safety gives you trouble it is easily swapped out for a standard style version.

bac1023
08-15-2010, 08:48
Get the Taurus and shoot it well and often. If the ambi-safety gives you trouble it is easily swapped out for a standard style version.

Why FLIPPER?

Why buy the Taurus and deal with a problem when you can buy an Armscor for less and have a 1911 that has a better track record?

How the hell is that being a 1911 snob?

MD357
08-15-2010, 09:36
How the hell is that being a 1911 snob?

I call it being educated and experienced. :supergrin:

Taurus targets a 1911 newbie crowd for a reason. VERY few experienced 1911 shooters sign up for a gun with a hammer lock that fails, and safeties that fall out.

bac1023
08-15-2010, 09:44
I call it being educated and experienced. :supergrin:

Taurus targets a 1911 newbie crowd for a reason. VERY few experienced 1911 shooters sign up for a gun with a hammer lock that fails, and safeties that fall out.

Yeah, Taurus marketing really goes after the young and/or inexperienced crowd.

I don't care for their tactics and I've been saying that for years now.

dreis454
08-15-2010, 10:05
Yeah, stay away from the Taurus PT1911.

There are far better 1911s on the market for the same price.

like what?

BTW,I'm looking into an STI Guardian but would like to hear about good 1911s in the 400-450 range.

Brad737
08-15-2010, 10:55
Rock Island FTW! :)

bac1023
08-15-2010, 13:39
like what?

BTW,I'm looking into an STI Guardian but would like to hear about good 1911s in the 400-450 range.

For starters, the Taurus isn't even in that price range.

Here are some good 1911s at $450-$500 and below. You aren't going to find many at that price, but the Taurus isn't either.

I'll take any of these over the Taurus from a quality standpoint. Some of these are just GIs, however.

Firestorm DLX

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/001-6.jpg

IAC Regent

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/002-7.jpg

Charles Daly EFS

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/002-4.jpg

Norinco

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_2282.jpg

Rock Island Armory

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_2039-1.jpg

ATI FX45 Military

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/002-23.jpg

FLIPPER 348
08-15-2010, 15:29
Why buy the Taurus and deal with a problem when you can buy an Armscor for less and have a 1911 that has a better track record?

?

It only has a better 'track record' on the Internet.

bac1023
08-15-2010, 15:40
It only has a better 'track record' on the Internet.

It has a better track record in my house too. :whistling:

doolyd
08-15-2010, 20:08
Well I hate to say it but I bought a PT1911 a while back after shooting my friends and I couldn't believe how accurate it was. I have probably only 1000 rounds through mine but it has been absolutely flawless. Maybe that isn't enough to make any kind of judgment but that is where I am with it.

I would get another one because just like most entry level 1911's modifications are easy and almost always done so I feel it is about as good as any other "base" gun. I would also say to check carefully because some are a little better than others, like most entry level guns. At least it has some of the items you may or may not do so adding a single side saftey and a new hammer really isn't that much to do.

It eats everything and is very accurate, probably my most accurate firearm but I am still running through break-in with my DW.

I would say for $425 it is good.

Oh and get the stainless if you get one....it sounds like the OP is taking about the stainless with black in the groves----I think that would work. The blued versions finish just plain sucks so unless you are re-finishing it stay away.

rsxr22
08-15-2010, 20:26
Or just stay away period.....

FLIPPER 348
08-15-2010, 20:35
I would say for $425 it is good.

That's what they were selling for when they first came out, worth every penny. The price is now over $200 more and there are a few variations. If the PT 1911 was such a POS this would not be the case as the Market dictates reality, not the rantings of 1911 snobs.

Is the PT 1911 perfect?? Far from it. But it is a good value for the $$$.

marlinfan
08-15-2010, 21:42
My PT1911 is halfway through another season of IDPA, and it's in the rotation with a springfield GI as my carry gun. It's been fine for me for a couple years.

MD357
08-15-2010, 22:49
Is the PT 1911 perfect?? Far from it. But it is a good value for the $$$.

Like I said, their marketing appeals to the inexperienced.

bac1023
08-16-2010, 04:01
Or just stay away period.....

This :)

FLIPPER 348
08-16-2010, 08:01
Like I said, their marketing appeals to the inexperienced.

So, what's wrong with that?? The PT 1911 continues to be a huge success, if it was crap this would not be the case.

willis68
08-16-2010, 08:17
So, what's wrong with that?? The PT 1911 continues to be a huge success, if it was crap this would not be the case.

No offense, but what are you claiming is such a huge success about it? The PT 1911 IS catered to first time 1911 buyers that know no better than to believe their hype. I actually owned one for 3 weeks it was the absolute worst finished piece of crap that I have ever held.

I thought when they came out that they would be a decent 1911, I would not trust anyone's life that I care about with that firearm. Stay far away from this pistol, I am sure there are a few soles out there who think they are great, compare it to any other 1911 and you will see that they are not :upeyes:

MD357
08-16-2010, 08:30

I think you're kidding yourself with the huge success theory. At $450 they sold well but now they do not and are no longer competetive, at least around here they aren't moving. The reason there is something wrong with "that" is because they aren't quality. As stated previously, there's no reason for a hammer lock (point of failure) and key small parts like the ejector and safety have had high instances of failure. In turn, that will turn off 1911 newbies. Sure they get ones that work but like Para, there's a lot of lemons too.

FLIPPER 348
08-16-2010, 08:39
The market sets the price and they still sell just fine from the two major and well established shops I visit. If they were as crappy as portrayed by folks on the internet this would not be the case. Sorry but the market is reality, not internet 'reports' of issues.

faawrenchbndr
08-16-2010, 08:46
:popcorn:

MD357
08-16-2010, 08:52
The market sets the price and they still sell just fine from the two major and well established shops I visit. If they were as crappy as portrayed by folks on the internet this would not be the case. Sorry but the market is reality, not internet 'reports' of issues.

Of course you anecdotes trump mine eh? Funny how we have multiple reports here that the honeymoon is over, yet you insist they are selling like hotcakes at $600+?? Yeah, uh huh. You're also seeing them on CDNN, in which they get platforms that aren't moving as well. Companies sell to them when they want to dump inventory. THAT is reality.

I read Taurusarmed.net from time to time because I own a PT101B and a 24/7. The number of problems you see posted on that forum with non beretta clones is quite impressive. I'm sure there's no validity to that though, surely they are all lying. :supergrin: :whistling:

faawrenchbndr
08-16-2010, 09:09
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/DetectiveJoeFriday.jpg "Just the facts, man"

FLIPPER 348
08-16-2010, 09:14
You 1911 snobs are classic! Your jihad against the PT goes on yet the price goes up and the variations increase. Why do my two shops not report any problems with any (very many) of the PT 1911s they have sold???

faawrenchbndr
08-16-2010, 09:32
Taurus threads always end up in a pissin match.

If you have a good one great!
If you have or had a bad one, that sux!

I have shot three and never experienced a malfunction.
Will I buy or recommend one? No!

Flipper 348 and MD357 are BOTH very experienced shooters.
I respect both or your opinions, on most topics, as do many members.
But this debate is like the Glock vs XD gimick,.......WAY over discussed.

Brad737
08-16-2010, 10:46
The reason I'm on Glock Talk is because the Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro I bought was unreliable. It felt fine in hand, and shot pretty well. But it stovepiped and jammed far too often for me to feel safe with it. By contrast, neither the Glock 30SF, or my STI Spartan have ever had a failure of any kind feeding the exact same ammunition from the same lot. I think a lot of the people who are so in love with their Tauruses are just trying to convince themselves they were smart shoppers. I really wanted to like the Taurus I owned. But the PT-145 Pro was not good enough to instill confidence in it, or any other Taurus handgun.

Good luck with your choice.

Brad737
08-16-2010, 10:47
I think we both know that 75% of the handguns sold are stuck in a nightstand drawer and never fired.

Why do my two shops not report any problems with any (very many) of the PT 1911s they have sold???

bac1023
08-16-2010, 17:08
You 1911 snobs are classic!

You know FLIPPER, I resent this constant "1911 snob" label you use here.

I'm not syaing that the Taurus is a cheap POS and to out and buy an Ed Brown if you want a good 1911. I'm saying there are several 1911s less expensive than the Taurus that are better, in my opinion.

How is that being a snob? :dunno:

I, among many others, have had a bad experience with the PT1911. I'm glad you got a good one, but I assure you, if you didn't, you'd be singing a totally different tune right now.

ambluemax
08-16-2010, 17:42
I would get another one because just like most entry level 1911's modifications are easy and almost always done so I feel it is about as good as any other "base" gun.

Not true. Many smiths will only accept Colts or Springers as base guns. Taurus's need not apply. That's isn't because the smiths are snobs, its because they don't want to put their repuation on the line buy building an a poor foundation. The SA Milspec is pretty much the undisputed king of base gun value. If we want to have two cans of worms open at the same time, dive into that debate.

Problems with PT1911's are not inveitable, but they are far more frequent than with other makes and models. As I said before everyone I know who has one and shows up to matches to shoot them regularly has had problems (big problems, not just little misfeeds) and has spent more in purchase + gunsmith bills than those of use who bought genuinly higher quality SA's, Kimbers, Colts and S&W's.

The PT's success is simply a testament to their marketing and window dressing abilities. They are built well enough to seem like a quality rig in the store and dripping with enough features to sell...what happens after that is a roll of the dice.

One would be hard pressed to find a more solidly based, educated, and indepentant opinion on 1911's than BAC...there are many real 1911 snobs in the world, BAC is not one of them.

bac1023
08-16-2010, 17:54
Very true ambluemax.

There is nothing about the Taurus that even remotely resembles a "base" gun. Its about as far as it can go.

I can't imagine any top smiths really touching one.

Sure the garage smith can certainly swap out parts, but you may as well do that on a Springfield Mil-Spec and have a much better quality gun to start with.

doolyd
08-16-2010, 19:43
Sorry I wasn't talking about true since of the word "Base Gun" that the top pistol smiths blah, blah, blah in the world would work on. I couldn't care less about top pistol smiths in the world. :rofl:

I really shouldn't have added that to the discussion and won't continue with trying to explain what I meant as it would do no good. I will let you guys wage your war and I will leave it as....

Hello, I have a PT1911 and I am really not that upset by it.

BayouGlocker
08-16-2010, 19:49
It's amazing how this thread resurrected from the grave.... Zombie thread?

That gun was sold to a guy who worked in the same pawn shop that was selling it, so good thing for me. (Its amazing how much influence a shiny finish has on the young and inexperienced.) I'm trying to work out a deal on a Springfield GI Micro with another guy here on GT.

Yes, I know I ruled out a sub 4" barrel, but after picking up and handling several I've decided it's not something to completely rule out if I got the right deal. I can carry my G19 until I'm completly confident all the short barrel issues have been worked out. If that deal doesn't work out, I'll simply keep saving my cash to go towards larger model SA or Kimber, and be just as happy.

doolyd
08-16-2010, 19:51
Disaster adverted. Good job everyone.

BayouGlocker
08-16-2010, 19:51
After reading back over my post, would it be big headed to quote myself in my signature?

"It's amazing how much influence a shiny finish has on the young and inexperienced."

bac1023
08-16-2010, 19:58
After reading back over my post, would it be big headed to quote myself in my signature?

"It's amazing how much influence a shiny finish has on the young and inexperienced."

FLIPPER 348
08-17-2010, 12:11
No

One would be hard pressed to find a more solidly based, educated, and indepentant opinion on 1911's than BAC...there are many real 1911 snobs in the world, BAC is not one of them.

I disagree as Bac is a collector But other than post pics of his collection what odes he know of the inner workings? ...can he fit & swap out parts or repair one ...can he build one??

MD357
08-17-2010, 12:21
Taurus threads always end up in a pissin match.

If you have a good one great!
If you have or had a bad one, that sux!

I have shot three and never experienced a malfunction.
Will I buy or recommend one? No!

Flipper 348 and MD357 are BOTH very experienced shooters.
I respect both or your opinions, on most topics, as do many members.
But this debate is like the Glock vs XD gimick,.......WAY over discussed.

I really don't see it as a Glock vs XD.

I prefer quality, and doing things right the first time. Flipper seems to be an apologist of the cheaper 1911 platforms and or cheap building frames such as Essex. I just don't like half assed things, cheap or not, especially when it comes to my life. When it comes to a Taurus 1911, it's half assed build to cut costs. Other individuals, seem to have a different standard, that something that barely meets quality standards is OK.

FLIPPER 348
08-17-2010, 12:30
I prefer quality, and doing things right the first time. Flipper seems to be an apologist of the cheaper 1911 platforms and or cheap building frames such as Essex. I just don't like half assed things, cheap or not, especially when it comes to my life. When it comes to a Taurus 1911, it's half assed build to cut costs. Other individuals, seem to have a different standard, that something that barely meets quality standards is OK.

perhaps the most 1911-snobbish post I've yet to see on GT! You managed to insult me a few times and knock two different 1911 companies by name, well done!!

I don't apologize for the Taurus 1911, not ever. I just defend it from 1911 snobs such as yourself. Even Bac's PT preforms well. I'd like him to run a few 1000 rounds of Wolf though it in a day w/o cleaning and give us the report. The ambi safety was a known problem and was an issue with him but it is easily fixed/done away with. (could he swap it out and fit a standard safety??)

MD357
08-17-2010, 12:50
perhaps the most 1911-snobbish post I've yet to see on GT! You managed to insult me a few times and knock two different 1911 companies by name, well done!!

Let's stop with the wounded duck here. :rofl:

Now if you don't like what I said about Taurus and Essex, I dunno what to tell you, it's the truth. These companies tend to DO things half assed to turn a better profit. Many companies do this, so it's not news by any means. When it comes to several aspects of my life, I don't appreciate half assed work. Maybe it's good enough for you?

I don't apologize for the Taurus 1911, not ever. I just defend it from 1911 snobs such as yourself.

Think about the irony in this statement a bit. I can't speak for Bac but I've seen the parts break. I've seen or have been shown the hammer lock fail, the safety that fell out, and ejector posts that sheared off in the frame.

The ambi safety was a known problem and was an issue with him but it is easily fixed/done away with

Another instance of you not apologizing eh? Don't worry about those little safety issues?

FLIPPER 348
08-17-2010, 13:06
L

Another instance of you not apologizing eh? Don't worry about those little safety issues?

I did not apologize for it, I knocked Taurus for it as the crappy ambi-safety is a flaw.

I bought one early on when they were cheap and swapped it out right away as I don't like them. The PT was fit better and had higher quality internal parts than an $800+ S&W 1911Sc in my collection. I've since sold it off to a friend with some new guts and a Kimber .22 slide. The Taurus upper is in my bits-box.

It's America and well have freedom of choice. I would take one of my homebuilt Essex, Foster or restored Rem-Rand 1911s over anything in yours or Bac collection. I choose to build my own and not to knock anyone else's choice in firearms. ('cept for the Sig Mosquito!)

MD357
08-17-2010, 13:43
I did not apologize for it, I knocked Taurus for it as the crappy ambi-safety is a flaw.

Right, so Flipper says it's a flaw, it's OK. Everyone else.... is a snob. :cool:

It's America and well have freedom of choice.

and expression.... :supergrin:

I would take one of my homebuilt Essex, Foster or restored Rem-Rand 1911s over anything in yours or Bac collection.

I can understand that, you built it and I'm happy for you. In the same sense, I'd never pay anyone to build me something on an Essex frame, nor would I take the advice of a "gunsmith" that suggested doing so, when Foster is so cheap.

I choose to build my own and not to knock anyone else's choice in firearms.

Again, I'm happy for you. It seems though that the better a pistolsmith becomes, the level of quality they demand also rises. YMMV.

FLIPPER 348
08-17-2010, 14:05
You could build a 1911 out of a Foster or Essex frame and the only way you could tell the difference would the name stamped on the side.

MD357
08-17-2010, 14:36
You could build a 1911 out of a Foster or Essex frame and the only way you could tell the difference would the name stamped on the side.

Granted you actually got a good one, and not one with rails of different heights? Or SS holes that were located out of spec?

How about, you stick with Essex and Taurus. I'll stick with quality and consistency. We'll both be happy? :wavey:

FLIPPER 348
08-17-2010, 14:58
more snobbery and insults, thanks!!

bac1023
08-17-2010, 17:14
I disagree as Bac is a collector But other than post pics of his collection what odes he know of the inner workings? ...can he fit & swap out parts or repair one ...can he build one??

I have yet to build my own 1911, FLIPPER.

However, I have detailed stripped them before. While it would be cool to get a kit and put one together, I really have no desire to at this time. Futhermore, I never claimed to be an expert.

To be honest, you calling the Taurus a quality gun makes me wonder about your abilities to call it right.

bac1023
08-17-2010, 17:19
It's America and well have freedom of choice. I would take one of my homebuilt Essex, Foster or restored Rem-Rand 1911s over anything in yours or Bac collection.

More power to you.

I choose to build my own and not to knock anyone else's choice in firearms. ('cept for the Sig Mosquito!)

Actually, I'm not knocking anyone's choice in firearms. I'm calling the PT as I see it. Hell, I bought one myself.

Hokie1911
08-17-2010, 17:55

It's America and well have freedom of choice. I would take one of my homebuilt Essex, Foster or restored Rem-Rand 1911s over anything in yours or Bac collection. I choose to build my own and not to knock anyone else's choice in firearms. ('cept for the Sig Mosquito!)

Are you serious? I mean..literally. Are these posts meant for us to take you seriously? If not, thanks for making me laugh. :dunno:

jrs93accord
08-17-2010, 18:52

Truth be known, he is an enthusiast and collector. You do not necessarily have to know the mechanics of a firearm to have an informed opinion of said firearm. When you own several firearms, as Bac and I do, you develop a very diverse amount of knowledge. Shooting and handling the firearms gives us the hands-on experience to base our opinions. I have never completely broken down a 1911 either, but I am somewhat familiar with some of its inner workings. In most cases, that has no bearing on my opinion of any firearm. If it works, and works well, I will let someone know. If it is a pain in the a**, I will let them know that too. General expertise comes in many forms. When it comes to information about a 1911 or a revolver I do not know, I will call Bac every time. That is saying a lot because I am fairly knowledgeable myself about a lot of firearms.

Eyescream
08-17-2010, 19:32
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachments/f5/77295d1249138683-runs-hot-traffic-this_thread_rocks.jpg

BayouGlocker
08-17-2010, 19:55
There's a reason we're enthusiasts, not professional custom gun builders.

And I'd gladly take anything in Bac's collection. :supergrin:

And apparently I called it right, Zombie Thread.

Now that the catastrophe is over, can we just blow the zombie's head off and let the thread fade into obscurity? As much fun as it is, all this name calling and conflict is solving a problem that doesn't exist by creating more problems.

bac1023
08-17-2010, 20:00
Truth be known, he is an enthusiast and collector. You do not necessarily have to know the mechanics of a firearm to have an informed opinion of said firearm. When you own several firearms, as Bac and I do, you develop a very diverse amount of knowledge. Shooting and handling the firearms gives us the hands-on experience to base our opinions. I have never completely broken down a 1911 either, but I am somewhat familiar with some of its inner workings. In most cases, that has no bearing on my opinion of any firearm. If it works, and works well, I will let someone know. If it is a pain in the a**, I will let them know that too. General expertise comes in many forms. When it comes to information about a 1911 or a revolver I do not know, I will call Bac every time. That is saying a lot because I am fairly knowledgeable myself about a lot of firearms.

Thanks my friend :)

bac1023
08-17-2010, 20:00
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachments/f5/77295d1249138683-runs-hot-traffic-this_thread_rocks.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OrangeDonkey
08-17-2010, 20:14
Hey Bac, Flipper is right. You don't know a thing about 1911s. So give me your collection before you hurt yourself....:supergrin:

bac1023
08-17-2010, 20:17
Hey Bac, Flipper is right. You don't know a thing about 1911s. So give me your collection before you hurt yourself....:supergrin:

:supergrin:

jrs93accord
08-17-2010, 20:18
Thanks my friend :)

My pleasure. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
08-17-2010, 21:32
I really don't see it as a Glock vs XD.

That makes sense,......I can agree with that. I'm not an expert with 1911's,
but with 25 years in the aircraft industry I can spot a POS made part a mile away.
Taurus seems to have a few POS parts installed in the PT1911.

Hokie1911
08-17-2010, 21:41
There's a reason we're enthusiasts, not professional custom gun builders.

And I'd gladly take anything in Bac's collection. :supergrin:

Hi-Point!!! :rofl:

MD357
08-17-2010, 22:05
more snobbery and insults, thanks!!

You really are sensitive. I dunno how me saying I saw out of spec frames from Essex or that I saw an ejector shear off in a Taurus is insulting, or snobbish but hey whatever you need to tell yourself. :cool:

3rdgen40
08-18-2010, 00:50
WTF is this, a " I know more than you do about 1911's" pissin' match ?

MD357
08-18-2010, 01:22
WTF is this, a " I know more than you do about 1911's" pissin' match ?

Not really, I don't claim to know more than anyone else. I've just explained that I've seen this or that in regards to Taurus 1911s and Essex frames. Next thing I know, someone wets the bed. Simple as that.

Cheers. :wavey: :cool:

bac1023
08-18-2010, 03:37
Not really, I don't claim to know more than anyone else. I've just explained that I've seen this or that in regards to Taurus 1911s and Essex frames. Next thing I know, someone wets the bed. Simple as that.

Cheers. :wavey: :cool:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ctfireman
08-18-2010, 09:39
Bac doesn't actually own all those guns, he just puts a pretty background on random pics & claims them!

Nine Shooter
08-18-2010, 10:43
My Dad has had a Taurus PT1911 for a few years now and its always gone bang. He's pretty hard on his guns and probably doesn't care for it as most of us would. Two things I've noticed about it: The safety is fine, but the sights have come loose and I the front has recently fallen off. Secondly, the blued finish is wearing pretty poorly and there appears to be a lot of rubbing between the slide and frame (metal-metal). Though, like I said, its hardly ever had a failure in the thousands of rounds (hardball and some hp) that he has put through it. My thoughts? I wouldn't buy one simply because there are better options for equal or lesser price.

bac1023
08-18-2010, 17:47
Bac doesn't actually own all those guns, he just puts a pretty background on random pics & claims them!

Hey, don't give away my secrets. :embarassed:

Cerebrus
08-18-2010, 17:53
Starting to remind me of this "epic" thread... http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=197835