I have a 2 part question…Ammunition and Caliber [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have a 2 part question…Ammunition and Caliber

SIGShooter
08-02-2010, 19:51
I have recently gotten back into 40 S&W.

I love my 9MM and 45 ACP. However, comparing the calibers and the use and the availability, it seems that I'm leaning more towards the 40 for the end all be all for caliber choice.

Question 1: I know it's hard to do, but what are the benefits of sticking to one caliber and one caliber only for the end all be all caliber choice? For me that would be the 40 S&W. (Plus I can get 1911s chambered in 40 :supergrin:)

I'm a die hard Winchester fan. I use nothing but Ranger T ammunition for carry in all of my guns. However, I have been thinking of going to Gold Dots. I can get them as easily as the Rangers.

Question 2: What are the benefits of switching over to GDHP for the end all be all ammunition choice? (Just some background on me…I like penetration first, speed second and expansion last)

fredj338
08-02-2010, 20:41
I don't think it's so much caliber as platform. If you shoot a G19, G23, G32, then you'll probably shoot them all about the same. Cost of ammo is only really important to a none reloader, the cost per 100 to reload all service rounds is pretty darn close.
I don't get too hung up on ammo choice. I know that there just isn't that much diff between all the majors to get all wierd if I had to carry one brand over the other.

rome2240sw
08-02-2010, 22:51
I have recently gotten back into 40 S&W.

I love my 9MM and 45 ACP. However, comparing the calibers and the use and the availability, it seems that I'm leaning more towards the 40 for the end all be all for caliber choice.

Question 1: I know it's hard to do, but what are the benefits of sticking to one caliber and one caliber only for the end all be all caliber choice? For me that would be the 40 S&W. (Plus I can get 1911s chambered in 40 :supergrin:)

I'm a die hard Winchester fan. I use nothing but Ranger T ammunition for carry in all of my guns. However, I have been thinking of going to Gold Dots. I can get them as easily as the Rangers.

Question 2: What are the benefits of switching over to GDHP for the end all be all ammunition choice? (Just some background on me…I like penetration first, speed second and expansion last)

To answer your first question the .40 does what the 9mm lacks and cant does with out the extra power of the 10mm or the .45. With that being said theirs nothing wrong with a 10mm or 45 but with the 40 your looking at more rounds, faster shots, less chances for calateral damage, as well as cheaper ammo. Also if you havent notice you can find .40 ammo everywhere from ball to personal defense ammuniton. Its all personal preferance. Me personaly i chose 40 over 9 and 45 because of quantity of 40 ammo in my area as well as it cheaper than 45, and it can do what the 9mm cant do.

to answer your second qurestion gold dots use to be a favorite choice of mine when i was carrying .380s and 9mm's. But when i moved to 40 i went from gold dots to shooting 180GR HSTs. I trust the design, works flawlessly in my gun, and its low flash ammo. I can also say it penetrates deep, fast, and expands exceptionally well.

In all if you care more about speed and penetration than expansion stick with the Ranger ammo because its results are gonna be close to those of the GDHPs. Also give Hornady Critical Defense a try. I heard from word of mouth that they give great penetraion, power, speed, and expand alright.