best sd ammo for springfield emp 9mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : best sd ammo for springfield emp 9mm?

revel8
08-02-2010, 21:13
I'm currently trying out some pow r ball +p ( I like the idea of the rounded noses ) how can I determine what is the best ammo to carry? I have heard there is jhps made for shorter barrels, is there any validity to using these bullets? Sd rounds are expensive and I was hoping you could help me narrow it down to a brand or two that is proven from a ballistic and realiability standpoint. Thank you! I've got gun digest concealed carry in front of me right now what an excellent read!

Mas Ayoob
08-02-2010, 22:28
Glad you're enjoying the book. FWIW, I use 127 grain Winchester Ranger-T +P+ in my EMP, and in fact prefer that load in just about all my 9mms, irrespective of barrel length. (I have one Beretta that does its best with Federal +P+ 115 grain.) Another I'd consider in the top three is the readily available Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot.

Lots of controversy on this, as I'm sure you know. Some time when you have several hours to spare, do a GT search on the topic of 9mm SD/duty ammo on Caliber Corner, and you'll get ample exposure to every side of the 9mm ammo debate.

revel8
08-10-2010, 13:29
How do you feel about the winchester pdx +p ?

Mas Ayoob
08-10-2010, 13:50
I don't know of any actual field usages with this particular round yet, so can't really form an opinion.
best,
Mas

revel8
08-17-2010, 17:49
In one of your older videos you speak highly of the corbon dpx "police load", does that reccomendation still stand? I noted you didn't mention it here

Mas Ayoob
08-17-2010, 18:14
Revel8, these days we have enough high performance, street-proven loads that I'm not comfortable recommending anything that doesn't have a strong track record in field shootings. The DPX is an extremely promising load and "tests" extremely well. However, I'm not aware of any shootings with its 9mm version, and only one in .40 (reported by John Farnam, apparently did very well).

Best,
Mas