? on Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ? on Sights

flynlead
08-02-2010, 21:17
I want a change on my Kimber custom II. Can I put white dots on the existing sights or would it be better just to buy a new set? In certain light it is hard to line up the sights fast. Even a white dot on the front sight would help alot. What do you think?

Quack
08-02-2010, 21:31
You can replace the front sight or paint the front sight.

AA#5
08-02-2010, 21:33
I want a change on my Kimber custom II. Can I put white dots on the existing sights or would it be better just to buy a new set? In certain light it is hard to line up the sights fast. Even a white dot on the front sight would help alot. What do you think?

I'd spring for night sights with the white rings. That way you'd have visible sights day and night.

gruntmedik
08-03-2010, 00:45
I prefer night sights, with only the front having a white ring around the tritium. Draws my eye to the front sight, as it should.

rsxr22
08-03-2010, 06:55
i personally would opt for a set of tru-glo TFO's. They offer a super bright fiber optic for day time shooting and the BRIGHTEST tritium dots ive ever had experience with for night shooting

Quack
08-03-2010, 07:20
gold bead front.

CMG
08-03-2010, 15:54
Keep in mind the sights on most Kimbers are tight!

If you don't have a quality sight-pusher, you may need the help of a local 'smith.

A friend of mine had one Kimber where the front sight was so tight (and offers such little purchase), that he had beat the bejesus out of it without getting it to budge! I use my mill to cut thru the sight cross-wise, then took it out in pieces.

DaBigBR
08-03-2010, 16:48

If you don't have a quality sight-pusher, you may need the help of a local 'smith.

A friend of mine had one Kimber where the front sight was so tight (and offers such little purchase), that he had beat the bejesus out of it without getting it to budge! I use my mill to cut thru the sight cross-wise, then took it out in pieces.

+1

They are known for being tough. A buddy just cuts off the blade and drills out the base.

flynlead
08-03-2010, 17:41

damn, I may just put a white dot on my existing sight. I did not realize they were set in that tight. What did they do, freeze the sight and then press it in?

CMG
08-03-2010, 18:54
From all reports they use some type of hydraulic press, I can't confirm that, but I can believe it! :supergrin:

As long as you aren't trying to save the old sights, it's not a big issue... just may need a bit of help if you haven't the tools or the luck!

Jim S.
08-04-2010, 10:10
What is the original sight like?
Does it have a dot on it?
I had an old 1911 that lost the whiteness of the 3 dots and I simply found a small drill bit that fit in the "hole" and using just my fingers to spin the bit I reamed out the dots and repainted them with testors model paint.
They held up good to this day.

samuse
08-04-2010, 21:46
Send the slide to Novak and have a fiber optic, gold or white bead front installed. I would highly recommend against a dot or anything on the rear. A wide notch is good, but stuff on the rear sights is not gonna help you unless your blind.

silversport
08-05-2010, 05:48
for that reason (pressed in sights) I had the front sight on my Kimber Custom II painted...it is painted blaze orange and other than not being able to see it in the pitch black of night, my aging eyes pick it up quick and I shoot well with it...I've had mine since 2003...
Bill

Hokie1911
08-05-2010, 07:43
I picked up a bottle of Testors gloss white model paint and painted the front sight on my ProCarry2. Works well for contrast.

Quack
08-05-2010, 08:34
I picked up a bottle of Testors gloss white model paint and painted the front sight on my ProCarry2. Works well for contrast.

should've bought pink :tongueout:

Hokie1911
08-05-2010, 14:11
should've bought pink :tongueout:

I think you have me confused with Cerebrus. :whistling:

Quack
08-05-2010, 14:29
nope, i hear that Pink is the new FDE which was the new black.

flynlead
08-05-2010, 18:52
What is the original sight like?
Does it have a dot on it?
I had an old 1911 that lost the whiteness of the 3 dots and I simply found a small drill bit that fit in the "hole" and using just my fingers to spin the bit I reamed out the dots and repainted them with testors model paint.
They held up good to this day.

no dot on the sight

flynlead
08-05-2010, 18:56
for that reason (pressed in sights) I had the front sight on my Kimber Custom II painted...it is painted blaze orange and other than not being able to see it in the pitch black of night, my aging eyes pick it up quick and I shoot well with it...I've had mine since 2003...
Bill

My custom II is what I am wanting to do this to as well